A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moonroof not closing all the way...

Old 03-17-2011, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Moonroof not closing all the way...

I've seen similar complaints like this... My moonroof gets to 90% closed but then stops and opens back up all the way. Also, each position on the control **** results in the roof being further back than the position on the **** would suggest.

It almost looks like it jumped some teeth. Does that happen?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Something got stuck in there and it jumped a few teeth. My buddy told me how to re-initialize it and that took care of the issue. So... If anyone else runs into this problem, go full open, full close and then once it stops pull down (and hold) the tilt switch. The roof will then re-initialize. Problem solved!
Old 03-17-2011, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

In the sunroof there are two hard plastic strips or rather rails. Mine broke in one part, and when I line them up to the way its supposed to be the sunroof does what yours is experiencing. but when I let it hover a little above the other piece it closes just fine

Go figure..
Old 03-17-2011, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default jumped

Originally Posted by Mike_k
Something got stuck in there and it jumped a few teeth. My buddy told me how to re-initialize it and that took care of the issue. So... If anyone else runs into this problem, go full open, full close and then once it stops pull down (and hold) the tilt switch. The roof will then re-initialize. Problem solved!
it did not jumped any teeth.
if that was the case your sunroof be broke by now and would not be as easy to fix as resetting it.
from time to time they loose timing and need to be reset just like windows, lubricate the sliding parts from time to time as they should be cleaned and lubricated at every service as well lubricating the seal including the doors and trunk.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default hover

Originally Posted by Brozee
In the sunroof there are two hard plastic strips or rather rails. Mine broke in one part, and when I line them up to the way its supposed to be the sunroof does what yours is experiencing. but when I let it hover a little above the other piece it closes just fine

Go figure..
care to elaborate? as am trying to understand this but am a little slow
part numbers/pictures/location of those parts
Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the roof partially closes then fully open it is most likely due to the mechanism being too stiff and it need of cleaning and lubrication, as s4master1 suggests.
The mech has load detection on the motor to prevent personal injury from a limb being trapped as it closes. This means that if the mech is offering too greater resistance to closing this safety system will cut in and reverse the roof because all it cal tell is that there is a likelihood something is being trapped. Give it a good clean around all the moving parts you can get to including the wind deflector and the internal screen then lubricated with a dry film PTFE type spray - there are probably purpose designed products available.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Edd W
If the roof partially closes then fully open it is most likely due to the mechanism being too stiff and it need of cleaning and lubrication, as s4master1 suggests.
I suspected the same but even when assisting the roof closed, it reached the same point and immediate turned back. It wasn't met with resistance at that point.

The relearn procedure was all that needed to be done. I assumed it jumped some teeth because I've never seen a moonroof "forget" it's position before. That's foreign to me!

It's a common problem. Mine are broken too.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What cleaner/ lubricator (lol) do you guys use to clean the tracks on these, as well as what type of grease or lubrication do you guys use on the doors and etc?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to know it is fixed.
Mine has started making a fairly loud metallic click as it is raised at the rear. If I open it normally it is silent. I cannot see what is causing this so anyone else have the same issue?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the recommended lube for these things, and is there a procedure for applying it in any special way?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moonroof not closing all the way...