A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTM Exhaust made mine "Sens8" tional

Old 06-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTM Exhaust made mine "Sens8" tional

I've now had the MTM exhaust for fully half of the 45,000 miles on my 2007 S8.

If not for this I would have traded the car by now.

(I appreciate the pioneer urging in the MTM direction by HTK posting here. Incidentally I recall reading a posting from him here recently that his MTM exhaust is for sale, as he re-installed the stock exhaust to sell his car.)

The S8 throttle tip-in (in "D") is so slow and twitchy (somehow, at the same time) that with the stock exhaust (after two RS6's) I couldn't tell whether I was moving. The car certainly didn't live up to "sport" billing.

Once the MTM exhaust is installed, you can never forget it. For some drivers, that might be a deterrent. But the driver who makes the choice of the "S" 8 variant deserves to know it through the great "aural gratification" that the MTM delivers. (Incidentally, I don't think the video's and sound on the MTM websites remotely correspond to the experience in the car).

This very morning a fellow in a top-down convertible followed me into my parking lot at work, to say that he'd turned down his own music so as to better hear my car's exhaust rendition.

Whether or not the MTM exhaust liberates an incremental 17 hp as is claimed somewhere (and it's only torque that matters anyway, and which the S8 is otherwise short of), I am sure that it has added about 1.5 mpg to my fuel economy (I now average 18 mpg in a driving mix which is no more than half highways). Frankly, one reason is that I now don't need to overly open the throttle or shift down to (barely) hear some vague alacrity, as with the stock exhaust.

With the MTM exhaust, it's like playing a sonorous instrument with your right foot.

And the acid test as to whether that's excessive: I haven't told my wife about this (my only) "mod", and (though she's not in the car a lot) she seems not to have noticed the change "from where she sits".

If on a highway while cruising it's (only) slightly noticeable (and under such circumstances perhaps slightly objectionable) with respect to stock: the B&O is there for that.

Seriously, with the stock exhaust I don't think the S8 (and compared even to my former D2 S8) deserves its "S".

And finally: WITH the MTM exhaust, it's telling that I even often let my "weekend" car sit in the garage on weekends when I prefer the song of my sensating MTM sedan...
Old 06-25-2008, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ill always prefer the sound of the stock S8...just beautiful.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

well put.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm..... So did you enjoyed the MTM Exhaust or not on our S8?