A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Curve Light Story

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 12:50 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default My Curve Light Story

So, many of us have experienced the curve light blues. A MIL indicating a fault with the curve light(s) either intermittently or every damn time you turn on your lights or use auto on. There are really three likely causes, the connector, the curve light control module, or the curve motor or sensor which mean the entire sealed beem must be replaced.

I started getting intermittent MILs and codes for the passenger side years ago. Long story short, I fixed this with contact cleaner and tightening up the female connecter tines.

Recently, I started getting hard failures on the Drivers stationary curve lamp every time I used the lights. It indicated the HID bulb (H7) bad and the lamp would not come on. I could check this with VAG COM by clearing the code which came back immediately and an odd clicking sound came from the left headlight every time it went through its auto level routine. Swapped the bulb, no love. I checked the power to the bulb during output testing and could not get 12v, rather a fluctuating 4-7V. This pretty much pointed to the control module. AUDI wants $510 for the module and the stealer about the same in labor to install as the manual says you must remove the bumper cover and headlight. Actually, these can be swapped with difficulty by removing the airbox cover. Now, you can take a chance with a used module for about $100. However, I found that that there is NOTHING AUDI about the module, it’s a standard Hella HID controller used in many applications AUDI and otherwise. I found an eBAY seller Lichtex who sells the module new shipped from Germany for $98.70 . I ordered one and it arrived in a couple of weeks. I installed it, coded it with VAG Com for the A8 and did the level adjust adaption. Boom, the bulb lit up on output test and the MIL is gone.

So, there’s a possible less than $100 solution for curve light MIL suffers!

stores.ebay.de/LICHTEX?_nkw=4F0941329D
Attached Images   

Last edited by ScottCNelson; 08-12-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottCNelson
So, many of us have experienced the curve light blues...
...AUDI wants $510 for the module and the stealer about the same in labor to install as the manual says you must remove the bumper cover and headlight. Actually, these can be swapped with difficulty by removing the airbox cover. Now, you can take a chance with a used module for about $100. However, I found that that there is NOTHING AUDI about the module, it’s a standard Hella HID controller used in many applications AUDI and otherwise...
...So, there’s a possible less than $100 solution for curve light MIL suffers!

stores.ebay.de/LICHTEX?_nkw=4F0941329D
GOOD INFO
Needs to be tagged with the error code. part number, and your paypal.
This is what makes AW Da Best.

Thank you, Scott. Maybe you can get those wrinkles fixed with the money you saved!

-Tom