A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My suspension woes don’t seem to be over

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My suspension woes don’t seem to be over

Well my suspension woes seem far from over, I have the following:
1. Slight knock developing on the LHS, quickly checked everything last night and nothing is loose. So I think it may be the Arnott strut I fitted, will call them today.
2. RHS front and rear has started dropping, rear 5-8mm and front 25mm overnight. Rear is the original and front is a 2yr old 40+k Arnott.
3. Keep getting a repeated G291 code.

Whilst the previous owner replaced both the valve block and the compressor, I only have records that it was fitted by Audi and the PO had supplied the parts, so unsure what they fitted.
I have ordered a compressor rebuild kit, looks like most G291 code relate to weak compressors. My concern is the dropping RHS is linked to the valve block more so than the struts, done the soapy water and it’s not showing anything.
Think I’m going to order a new Arnott front right strut, get that done and see what breaks next
Old 10-17-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default You need to understand the system...

Originally Posted by d6lc
1. Slight knock developing on the LHS, quickly checked everything last night and nothing is loose. So I think it may be the Arnott strut I fitted, will call them today.
2. RHS front and rear has started dropping, rear 5-8mm and front 25mm overnight. Rear is the original and front is a 2yr old 40+k Arnott.

Whilst the previous owner replaced both the valve block and the compressor, I only have records that it was fitted by Audi and the PO had supplied the parts, so unsure what they fitted.
I have ordered a compressor rebuild kit, looks like most G291 code relate to weak compressors. My concern is the dropping RHS is linked to the valve block more so than the struts, done the soapy water and it’s not showing anything.
Think I’m going to order a new Arnott front right strut, get that done and see what breaks next
If nothing leaks - struts - valve block- Air tank - then it's electronics - Find the real problem - the height should be set by the controller -
Is it coincident that most of the people up here who don't use VCDS to hack the system seem to be happy driving their cars after replacing their struts?
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post25047007
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...oblem-2928654/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2931526/page3/
You should check on your adaptation, calibration to make sure you don't set new values in the memory -

Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-17-2017, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, but I'm not clear how the feedback or links you posted had anything to do with my issue.

I think it is clearly obvious that if nothing leaks then it electrical, the issue however is that is is virtually impossible to prove a slow leak on a strut
Old 10-17-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you believe you still have leaks, pump it up, lift mode and then put on jack mode, leave it for hours to see which one drops instead of keep replacing strut.
If all good, then your controller.
Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 10-17-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am having this same G291 issue. There is a way to see the pressures associated with each axel and the accumulator. Using VCDS go into 34- Level Control --> Security Access -->08367 --> Basic Setting --> Channel 20, 21, and 22 will drain your suspension. However, if you quickly press and repress on/off/next it will flash the actual current pressure in bar, so you know an initial starting pressure and ending pressure to see if there is a leak over time. My only caveat to this is that in any other mode besides jack mode the car will self adjust at 2, 5, and 10 hours if necessary (pressure drop due to cooling), the car senses this and adjusts as necessary. So if your looking for a leak or want to verify the system isn't leaking leaving it in jack mode, read the values, and then reread the values after 12-24 hours. I used this method to determine that it is either the valve block G219 sensor going bad or a weak compressor. I am looking into a Mercedes S-Class suspension compressor and the feasibility of using it in place of an Audi one. They are the same manufacturer and specs, but the Mercedes compressor is a fraction of the Audi equivalent. For those who have their doubts: http://forums.quattroworld.com/allroad/msgs/34738.phtml it is also noted in the D3 Suspension SSPs that the Allroad and A8 compressors are equivalent.

Last edited by jlbell; 10-17-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
If you believe you still have leaks, pump it up, lift mode and then put on jack mode, leave it for hours to see which one drops instead of keep replacing strut.
If all good, then your controller.
Cheers,
Louis
Thank you Louis, I wasn't clear that jack mode eliminated the controller to isolate the struts, unfortunately did that the weekend and the front right dropped. So it does look like a strut issue.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jlbell
I am having this same G291 issue. There is a way to see the pressures associated with each axel and the accumulator. Using VCDS go into 34- Level Control --> Security Access -->08367 --> Basic Setting --> Channel 20, 21, and 22 will drain your suspension. However, if you quickly press and repress on/off/next it will flash the actual current pressure in bar, so you know an initial starting pressure and ending pressure to see if there is a leak over time. My only caveat to this is that in any other mode besides jack mode the car will self adjust at 2, 5, and 10 hours if necessary (pressure drop due to cooling), the car senses this and adjusts as necessary. So if your looking for a leak or want to verify the system isn't leaking leaving it in jack mode, read the values, and then reread the values after 12-24 hours. I used this method to determine that it is either the valve block G219 sensor going bad or a weak compressor. I am looking into a Mercedes S-Class suspension compressor and the feasibility of using it in place of an Audi one. They are the same manufacturer and specs, but the Mercedes compressor is a fraction of the Audi equivalent. For those who have their doubts: quattroworld.com Forums: Suspension questions - part V - RESOLVED!! it is also noted in the D3 Suspension SSPs that the Allroad and A8 compressors are equivalent.
I'll give this a try tonight, however I am pretty sure the 08367 access code didn't work for me when I tried it last time.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you Louis, I wasn't clear that jack mode eliminated the controller to isolate the struts, unfortunately did that the weekend and the front right dropped. So it does look like a strut issue.
Now test it to make sure
Old 10-18-2017, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jlbell
I am having this same G291 issue. There is a way to see the pressures associated with each axel and the accumulator. Using VCDS go into 34- Level Control --> Security Access -->08367 --> Basic Setting --> Channel 20, 21, and 22 will drain your suspension. However, if you quickly press and repress on/off/next it will flash the actual current pressure in bar, so you know an initial starting pressure and ending pressure to see if there is a leak over time. My only caveat to this is that in any other mode besides jack mode the car will self adjust at 2, 5, and 10 hours if necessary (pressure drop due to cooling), the car senses this and adjusts as necessary. So if your looking for a leak or want to verify the system isn't leaking leaving it in jack mode, read the values, and then reread the values after 12-24 hours. I used this method to determine that it is either the valve block G219 sensor going bad or a weak compressor. I am looking into a Mercedes S-Class suspension compressor and the feasibility of using it in place of an Audi one. They are the same manufacturer and specs, but the Mercedes compressor is a fraction of the Audi equivalent. For those who have their doubts: quattroworld.com Forums: Suspension questions - part V - RESOLVED!! it is also noted in the D3 Suspension SSPs that the Allroad and A8 compressors are equivalent.
Can you explain how you diagnose the valve block based on the above data please, 12 hrs in, my data with the car in lift mode is as follows.
Suspension drop:
Front left -6mm
Front right -6mm
Rear left -3mm
Rear right -4mm

VCDS data
channel 020 = 12.69 bar (no change)
channel 021 = 7.81 bar (no change)
channel 022 = 5.53 bar (no change)
Old 10-18-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Why don't you go the source, the master, VCDS for this. I'm sure they would know.
Cheers
Louis

Quick Reply: My suspension woes don’t seem to be over