A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation Discs 2006 A8L W12

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Discs 2006 A8L W12

Dear fellow Audi owners.

Question regarding the navi in the 2006 model year.

I have a 2006 A8L W12 that I imported from Ohio to Spain. Obviously the Navigation does not now function. The navi discs are for North America. What is not obvious to me is if I can simply replace them with EU navi discs and it will function or do I need to change out the navi system?

I contacted two different dealers in Spain and they offered two different responses. One said, just replace the discs, the other said, nope replace the entire system.

Any advice or thoughts would be really appreciated before I start by buying new discs.

Best wishes in advance,

Richard.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You should start with updating your MMI to the latest European version. For that you need CD's from dealer and about one hour of your time. North American CD's in US are $25. European shouldn't be much more.

Next is your navigation DVD. Best would be the newest one with all new roads and streets.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MMI Conversion USA to Europe

Below is from http://gpsunderground.com/forum/audi...g-problem.html

"thanks everyone for help i finally did it audi a8 us converting to EU

this is how it was done.

US-2-EU MMI conversion:

First of all:

-remove the navigation DVD
-remove all CD's from the CD changer

Then you have to go to the 'hidden menu':

1. open the “hidden menu” on the MMI by pushing first SETUP, en then CAR, keeping them pushed for about 5 seconds.

If this doesn't work, you will need to enable this option by means of VAG COM:

Select 07 - Control Head
Select Adaptation - 10
Select Channel 08
Select Read
Enter new value 1
Select Test
Select Save
Select Done, Go Back
Select Close the controller

Push SETUP & CAR button again, and you should get into the ‘hidden menu’

2. in the ‘hidden menu’ goto MMI>Settings en set “SWDL manuell” and “SWDL ignore Region/VMC' (see picture in previous post) ON

3. insert the EU 5570 file CD in the CD changer on location 1
4. choose in the “hidden menu” for “Start Bootloader”
5. Unit will start update
6. When the update finished: leave the 5570 CD in the changer, and press SETUP & RETURN at the same time and choose “UPDATE”
7. The system will update
8. When finished: remove the 5570 CD from the changer
9. Insert the latest EU DVD in the DVD player
10. Check whether the unit will read the DVD and shows TMC etc."
Old 02-23-2013, 04:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thank you guys

I'll order the discs from the dealer and give it a go. Let you know how it works out...or doesn't work out.

Cheers,

Richard

Originally Posted by mishar
You should start with updating your MMI to the latest European version. For that you need CD's from dealer and about one hour of your time. North American CD's in US are $25. European shouldn't be much more.

Next is your navigation DVD. Best would be the newest one with all new roads and streets.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default MMI update

Originally Posted by W12inSpain
I'll order the discs from the dealer and give it a go. Let you know how it works out...or doesn't work out.
I recommend you search for other threads on updating the MMI. Basically, the recommendation is to hook up a battery charger (one that plugs into an electrical outlet) to the car - losing power in the middle of the upgrade can leave the MMI in a broken state, remove all CDs and BT phones (if applicable), and turn off as many accessories as possible. Then just follow the instructions (found in your earlier search) and be patient. Many of us here have successfully updated our MMI, so hopefully it will go well for you too.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

disks are only about £5 in the UK, you can download them online if you want but i would reccomend getting the real thing.

although its reccomended to hook up extra power during the update no one does, this was info taken from audi dealer information. most leave the car running.

as the last post says, once its running dont touch anything
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Question about CD disc

3. insert the EU 5570 file CD in the CD changer on location 1

I went to the Audi dealership near me here in Spain and asked about this disc and they looked at me like I was retarded.

Is this the correct name for this CD? EU 5570?

Also they said, no way the EU nav DVD's will work in my US spec W12. I explained what I planned to do and they still said it won't work. I ordered the EU Nav DVD's anyway.

I am very disappointed with the level of service that Audi provides here in Spain. It took them a month to get back to me regarding the tracking unit I need to install for full coverage insurance here. This was despite calling weekly and emailing my service advisor. I almost want to contact Audi management but the worry is I'll never get a decent service on my car ever more.

Thank you for your help, in advance.

Best wishes,

Richard
Old 03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

That's right MMI software version. Just attach charger to the battery (negative not directly but to the shiny hex post above it), or let it idle while updating, turn everything off, close the door insert the CD into slot 1 and do it. Be patient. It can last long (~40 minutes or so) and all entertainment will be slow progress on the screen. Don't open or close doors, windows, sunroof...

If you have navigation DVD you may try it even before update.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thank you for your help.

Originally Posted by mishar
That's right MMI software version. Just attach charger to the battery (negative not directly but to the shiny hex post above it), or let it idle while updating, turn everything off, close the door insert the CD into slot 1 and do it. Be patient. It can last long (~40 minutes or so) and all entertainment will be slow progress on the screen. Don't open or close doors, windows, sunroof...

If you have navigation DVD you may try it even before update.
Will this Navi DVD be appropriate. From Ebay. The dealer here in Spain is a bloody joke and won't cooperate.

AUDI 2010 MMI 3G SAT NAV SATELLITE NAVIGATION DISC DVD ROM FREE POSTAGE L@@K

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-2010-...10646266102%26
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, that is for newer 3G MMI NAV systems, YOU have 2G MMI in your 2006 A8, so part number 4E0 060 884 DB [2013 update] looks to be what you need.

Like this, http://www.carsnavigation.com/2013-a...ropa-dvd-maps/

or

Like this "legal" copy,http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-MMI-2G-High-2012-DVD-Sat-Nav-Map-Disc-/190813711791?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2c6d622daf
THE UK COPYRIGHT, DESIGNS AND PATENTS ACT 1998.
This specifically allows the making of back-up copys of software,but only providing it is for lawful use

LEGAL STATMENT SUMMARY

1, The services that are provided on this web page is strictly to back up your satnav discs,to which you claim to currently own and wish to protect from damage.

2,These duplications are allowed under British copyright law and you are entitled to this service by law.

3,We provide this as a sevice,We will not be held accountable for the purchasers' use of our back-ups.

4,If you sell the original software you agree to distroy the back-up.

5,You take full resposibillity for your own actions when using these back-ups and release us from all "liabilities that may arise,expressed,writen or implied", by complying with these regulations it allows us (the sevice provider) to duplicate and you (the consumer) to recieve the right to use back-up

2013 Audi MMI 2G Europa DVD Latest Maps

Audi Europe Navigation DVD for MMI 2G Systems.
Part No. 4E0 060 884 DB

Year: 2013

Compatible with:
•A4 (B8 / 8K) Limousine: KW 36/2007 → 22/2009
•A4/S4 (B8 / 8K) Avant: KW 03/2008 → 22/2009
•A5 / S5 (8T) (Coupe): KW 08/2007 → 45/2008
•A6 / S6 (C6 / 4F) Limousine: KW 05/2004 → 22/2008
•A6 / RS6 (C6 / 4F) Avant: KW 02/2005 → 22/2008
•A6 (C6 / 4F) allroad quattro: KW 12/2006 → 22/2008
•A8 / S8 (D3 / 4E): KW 26/2002 → 22/2008
•Q7 (4L): KW 06/2006 → 22/2009

Coverage :

Andorra, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Croatia, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary, Vatican.

Also covered but not on the DVD cover : Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia, Macedonia

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 04-15-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: add link

Quick Reply: Navigation Discs 2006 A8L W12