A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

navigation version 11 update

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default navigation version 11 update

combed thru a few thread and didnt find anything.

Here the problem, i just purchased the 2011 nav maps and popped it in the navigation unit. I got a message to update the Software. clicked yes and the system came back with a msg saying the unit cudnt update. i tried again and still the same msg. audi said they cud try but usually when the update software to work with the newer nav cds the telephone unit usually craps out and shuts down the mmi system completely. so basically i can look at the map screen but i cant enter address's find/ select places on the map and get directions to it. basically all i can do is look at the area im currently in. it doesnt show any street names either unless u zoom in to like 75-100. any help or advice would be great.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default What MMI software revision are you on? What year A8?

My sense from what you are mentioning is a pretty old MMI version, though it sounds like maybe you could have bluetooth so maybe it's at least a mid-2005 (after the OnStar transition to bluetooth)? But, I'm confused since your account info says you have a 2004, yet your post talks about the "telephone unit." Happy to help (as can others on the board with experience), but best to get real specs:

What year car?

Phone capabilities or not? If so, my first instinct is you mean bluetooth, but best to confirm that since the older ones did have old phone cradle type options that I guess some actually use(d).

Which version of MM is installed now?

Which version was your prior Nav disk? And, did you upgrade just to get newer maps, or was the disk not reading or some such?

Did you have any other MMI related bugs to start with--errors/shutdowns/reboots; losing surround sound settings; random TPMS warnings (other than battery failures over time); other?

Are you using (or ever planning to use) AMI--the iPod or other music device interface?

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-01-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

And, where did you get the Nav disc from?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Update your mmi version and this should be solved.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
My sense from what you are mentioning is a pretty old MMI version, though it sounds like maybe you could have bluetooth so maybe it's at least a mid-2005 (after the OnStar transition to bluetooth)? But, I'm confused since your account info says you have a 2004, yet your post talks about the "telephone unit." Happy to help (as can others on the board with experience), but best to get real specs:

What year car?

Phone capabilities or not? If so, my first instinct is you mean bluetooth, but best to confirm that since the older ones did have old phone cradle type options that I guess some actually use(d).

Which version of MM is installed now?

Which version was your prior Nav disk? And, did you upgrade just to get newer maps, or was the disk not reading or some such?

Did you have any other MMI related bugs to start with--errors/shutdowns/reboots; losing surround sound settings; random TPMS warnings (other than battery failures over time); other?

Are you using (or ever planning to use) AMI--the iPod or other music device interface?
my car is a 2004, yes it does have the phone cradle under the armrest and still has on star. im almost 100% certain that i have no bluetooth capabilities. the guy at audi mentioned something about shorting out the tele unit in the car.

the mmi version that i have now is 4610 as per the mmi version screen. the previous nav disc i had im not sure what verison it was bc it was a burned copy that came with the car. it suddenly just stopped working properly mmi display just kept saying "no nav cd" while the cd was installed. then i would have to take it out an put it back in to get it to work. it did for a few but soon as i tried to enter a destination it would go back to the check nav cd msg.

i was planning on ami retrofit but well enough is fine with me. so that plan is scrapped. Before my mmi was down for a while due to a beverage spill but i replaced it. the one that i replaced it with had 4610 already installed. dont recall what the previous mmi software version was.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by FlyTyinFool
And, where did you get the Nav disc from?
navteq
Old 08-02-2011, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on your description of incidents, it sounds like you replaced your 07 Control Head Unit with Updated Software, but did not Update the other Modules. To me this would cause some major concerns and it seems that your troubles are starting with the Nav Unit. I would get the Latest Software Update Disc and try to run the Install/Update to bring the other Unit's Software Current including the Nav. Good luck! Laters,

Last edited by williebone; 08-02-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default I'm not sure...

but Williebone's suggestion sounds reasonable. If you have the 4610 disks (the real Audi ones that is, never a copy for MMI updating), try running them again.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by williebone
Based on your description of incidents, it sounds like you replaced your 07 Control Head Unit with Updated Software, but did not Update the other Modules. To me this would cause some major concerns and it seems that your troubles are starting with the Nav Unit. I would get the Latest Software Update Disc and try to run the Install/Update to bring the other Unit's Software Current including the Nav. Good luck! Laters,
I also concur with the idea that you should update the other control modules on the car, but you might also consider try using a less recent Nav disc. I suspect you could find one for sale for cheap, either here or on eBay (but you should really only purchase an original disc, not a burned copy).
Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, you are in a Sticky Situation with what seems to be Outdated Software in all of your Modules outside of the 07 Control Head. The Outcome could be Unpredictable, so I would first try Subito's Suggestion using an older disc (OEM) and live with the Outdated Software in the other Modules since they present No Issue thus far. If the Results don't yield success, then move on to Updating Everything (4610 OEM Disc) and Follow Documented Procedures listed on this Forum. MMI Black Out isn't a Pretty Sight so the least path of resistance would be using an Older Nav Disc. Good luck and keep us posted. Laters,

Quick Reply: navigation version 11 update