A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help -- w12 suddenly won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Crull
I have tried push button and turning the key. Only have one key. The battery is reading 12.8 volts and i have tried it with the charger connected too. Somehow the starter motor is not getting power to it.
i did also try the battery disconnect for 3 hours and no change
Old 07-10-2018, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

I have tried push button and turning the key. Only have one key. The battery is reading 12.8 volts and i have tried it with the charger connected too. Somehow the starter motor is not getting power to it.
...or it is jammed per the code... Mister Bally's 4.2 starter crapped out as one I can think of. If you have any straight line access path to the starter (I don't recall), try to thread a broomstick dowel or something similar up to it and whack on the end. Standard old American iron trick when they were visible under hood (ages ago) was to tap on them with a hammer. Same sort of thing with with solenoid (integrated on Audis for like 50 yeas now).

If Kessy fried (the coding related control system for keys) or programming somehow screwed up, I would guess it wouldn't crank either. There have been several of those on D3's if you search. Again, not in my own owners' experience so just flagging other possible areas to review. Presumably some fuse stuff in there too.

Finally, I don't think there is a fusible link involved, but do quick check anyway. The heaviest fuse like devices used on car. They are in the fuse box area by the battery. The handful of dog boned shaped stuff held down under nuts and terminals on both ends. Obvious when burned in middle since they are bare metal, open air stuff.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-10-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
...or it is jammed per the code... Mister Bally's 4.2 starter crapped out as one I can think of. If you have any straight line access path to the starter (I don't recall), try to thread a broomstick dowel or something similar up to it and whack on the end. Standard old American iron trick when they were visible under hood (ages ago) was to tap on them with a hammer. Same sort of thing with with solenoid (integrated on Audis for like 50 yeas now).

If Kessy fried (the coding related control system for keys) or programming somehow screwed up, I would guess it wouldn't crank either. There have been several of those on D3's if you search. Again, not in my own owners' experience so just flagging other possible areas to review. Presumably some fuse stuff in there too.

Finally, I don't think there is a fusible link involved, but do quick check anyway. The heaviest fuse like devices used on car. They are in the fuse box area by the battery. The handful of dog boned shaped stuff held down under nuts and terminals on both ends. Obvious when burned in middle since they are bare metal, open air stuff.
thanks for all of the advice and help. I am convinced that the starter motor is not getting power, it does not even attempt to engage, I held the motor while someone tried to start the car and felt nothing. The clicking I hear under the hood is rhe various relays that fire up when you turn the ignition on, when I turn the key on and wait for everything to settle, the only additional noise is the fuel pump running when I turn the key to start. I can't really access the starter to whack it, but if it isnt getting power it won't matter.

i really need a repair manual that shows all of the components involved in the crank signal once the key is turned to start narrowing this down. I have checked all of the obvious. Is there a way to check the kessy with VCDS? The car would randomly beep and say "Key not in vehicle" while driving, but not sure if that matters to this case, it has done that for months.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

thanks for all of the advice and help. I am convinced that the starter motor is not getting power, it does not even attempt to engage, I held the motor while someone tried to start the car and felt nothing. The clicking I hear under the hood is rhe various relays that fire up when you turn the ignition on, when I turn the key on and wait for everything to settle, the only additional noise is the fuel pump running when I turn the key to start. I can't really access the starter to whack it, but if it isnt getting power it won't matter.

i really need a repair manual that shows all of the components involved in the crank signal once the key is turned to start narrowing this down. I have checked all of the obvious. Is there a way to check the kessy with VCDS? The car would randomly beep and say "Key not in vehicle" while driving, but not sure if that matters to this case, it has done that for months.
I don't know Kessy. Some others here like Giovanni have hands on experience with it. The key message could be a flakiness clue. As another simple item, is key battery good? If it is, when you push on the buttons the red LED should light once. No light, battery is fading or dead.