A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

negotiating 2005 A8 SWB .... part 2 !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default negotiating 2005 A8 SWB .... part 2 !!

ugh.

Ok, quick background again - my local dealer has a 2005 A8 SWB with 3400 miles on it, never been titled - was driven for a few months by the owner of the dealership. They wanted 74,900 for it.

I offered them, on Monday, 67,500, which I think was a little aggressive, but not unrealistic. They countered with 73,000. I left.

Since then there has been no contact. So I went back today (thursday) to talk with them again. Their position is that, although it is used with 3400 miles on it, on their books it shows as a new car and they cannot lose that much money on it. I sympathize with their position, but it is not my problem - as far as I am concerned, one 3400mi A8 is the same as any other 3400mi A8.

HOWEVER, I did think of something that could help. You see, the car is fully loaded, with only one option missing - the stitched armrests and center surrounding leather. That is a $700 option on a 2005 A8. I told them I would like that option, and that they should see how much that costs to do in their shop (order the parts, install).

He comes back and says it is roughly $2900 _wholesale_ for the parts and labor.

So I offer $70,500 for the car, if they add those items. I know it is essentially the exact same offer - 67,500 + 2900 = 70,400 ... BUT it is not the same in the sense that they now have a CHOICE as to where they will lose their owners joyriding depreciation. If it is so hard to lose it on the invoice for the car, they can choose to drop it somewhere else.

So we go back and forth ... he counters my 70,500 with 73,000 (!), so I offer to split the difference - 71,750 - he counters with 73,000 (!).

So then at that point I am kind of tired of the whole thing. i really want to get this car, and I really wanted to drive it home today, so I _totally capitulate_ and say that if he can include the leather options (as above) I will go ahead and give him the entire 73,000.

He says no. He says that his offer has not changed at all since the last time I was there - 73,000 and no additional upgrades like I was asking for.

So I ask him to look up on audiusa all 2005 A8s with 3-7k miles on them - and there are 5 of them, and they are all selling for between 67 and 71k. At that point he just comes out and blatantly admits that there is an immediate depreciation hit as soon as you drive a new car off the lot, and that with this particular car they want me to take that hit, even though I don't get to be the first owner or have a brand new car.

So I left. I am really put off by the fact that:

a) they refused to budge at all - they would not work with me in the slightest, and I clearly showed that I was willing to negotiate.

b) that they just blatantly, with no sugar coating, are asking me to pay for their owner to joyride around in new cars every 6 months. Basically they want to pass off the new car depreciation to a 3rd party, namely me.

Any suggestions or comments ? I am going to leave my final offer of 73,000 on the table, provided they add those parts for me ... but otherwise I am not going to be working with them.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: negotiating 2005 A8 SWB .... part 2 !!

As far as the "car" is concerned your warranty and MA period starts at 3400 miles, so it is still "brand new" in the eyes of AUDI. I believe Liam and others can speak to how dealers "use" certain cars for their execs and how many miles they can put on vehicle before they are considered demontrators, etc. I also believe it has to do with AOA taking the hit for the depreciation, (cost) etc. vs the dealer.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: negotiating 2005 A8 SWB .... part 2 !!

Do you know what those magic mileage numbers are where it ceases to become a demo, etc. ? I'll bet it's 3500 miles, which explains why this one is right at 3400 and change..
Old 08-18-2005, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default followup ... what is a brand new 2005 A8 SWB with zero miles going for now ?

If they are asking 73,000 for a 2005 A8 SWB with 3400 miles on it, I am curious ... what are brand new, fully loaded (alcantara, keyless, winter package, everything) going for, provided a good negotiation, etc. ?

When all negotiating is said and done, what are they settling out at ? The MSRP on this car was $80,xxx ... so I am curious as to what kind of price I could have negotiated for it if it were still brand new...
Old 08-18-2005, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMHO you are not behaving as a patient negotiator. If...

I were the on the selling side, from what you have described, I would see you as someone who will buy at my price in the end. So, they only have something to lose by capitulating to your demands.
If there are other Audi dealers in your area, call around, see what is available, play it cool. I am the same, once I see a car I want I am anxious to get it but, if you let that show your leverage has just evaporated. Cool down, look around and I bet you find what you want at a price closer to what you want to pay.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default edmunds.com?

It's hard to say what a new '05 should be priced at without knowing _exactly_ which options the car has. You say it has everything. You mean everything as in "everything" + including sport pkg, adaptive cruise, solar sunroof, 19" wheel, rear lumbar, security glass, security wheel locks everything?

Or do you mean just "everything" without this stuff. There's like 8K difference depending upon what your definition of everything is.

Why not just go to edmunds.com and price out the car using their exact figures for options which show msrp and dealer's invoice. They still have '05 pricing.

New MSRP discount on an '06 A8L out here on the west coast is between 2% and 5.5% based on the three price quotes of which I know (my own discount was the one in between this range.)

Surely, by now even for a new '05 discount the discount must be greater since they need to clear inventory.

Then add in a realistic discount for the "used factor". I definitely wouldn't overpay 'cuz their pricing sounds high to me, but who knows without knowing exactly how "everything" we're talking about.

Also, though I liked the old nose, I love the look of the new A8 nose, so I think you'd be a bit silly to pay extra to get the old nose.

I do agree with you about the new nose on the A6, I'm still getting used to that.

OTOH, anything is better than what BMW has done to the tails of its 3 and 5 series -- BLECH! The 7 has gotten better than it was but I don't think I'll ever get used to it.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

simple...screw them and order one elsewhere
Old 08-18-2005, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think that you are just playing with the dealer...

It's more of a point that you are trying to make than the extra money. At this level an extra few thou is not going to break you, however, I believe that your pride is getting in the way.
The car is worth what they want for it, just stop playing games and pay the difference.

I never thought that I would read these sorts of comments in this forum. Of all the A8's that I have sold I've never encountered a client dickering for a few bucks.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:25 PM

Default I have sold I've never encountered a client dickering for a few bucks.

You must be kidding! Your analysis is people with money don't care about money? A few dollars is nada? "Principal?" You bet. I have and will walk away from a deal because of; salesman's attitude, not "playing the game," and yes- Money.
I agree with an earlier poster; this salesman has his number as evidenced by the "negotiating" sequence and numbers given. That is no way to buy a car (or anything else).
Rule #1. Do your homework (price the value of this car based on others similarily equipt and for sale.
#2. Politely tell them what you are willing to pay for the car.
#3. Any BS, walk out the door (in the majority of cases they will follow you and sell for your offer). If they don't, then either pay their price or go elsewhere.
#4. If you find nothing similar for the price you offered after a few days and actually doing your research, stop back by and say; how much today? If they quote the same price, thank them for their time and leave again.
After 3 stops back you will find out what their lowest price is. Make sure one of the stops includes a day before the end of a month.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This reminds me of an "oldie but goodie"

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/77925.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/77925.phtml</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: negotiating 2005 A8 SWB .... part 2 !!