A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with a few questions

Hi all,

I have just purchased an 05 4.2 TDI UK spec and have a couple of questions that despite browsing the forum I cannot find the answer too.

Firstly I have noticed that I can hear the air compressor pumping to the point of a pressure relief every few minutes when the car is first started. Is this normal operation when I have it set to automatic? I will be ordering a new relay and fuse in the morning as a precautionary measure.

Being a late 05 I have Bluetooth so would one expect to find the relay under the left side carpet and not furthe up like in the earlier models?

Secondly, whilst using the MMI to change the suspension settings I have noticed that only when selecting dynamic does the green symbol appear on the dash to indicate the level dropping. Should I also see an amber symbol when the car is set to comfort or lift mode? Or does that light only illuminate when there is a fault?

I am having it scanned tomorrow to confirm everything is running as it should be.

Thanks for you help
Old 09-22-2017, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member: 2007 A8L Leveling Malfunction

I very recently obtained this car and the instrument panel shows the yellow icon and the green icon flashing or solid. The car is low / stiff suspension - limp mode? The MMI shows only the comfort and automatic settings illuminated - the other 2 are grayed out. I did a VCDS scan and only: 00668 Supply Voltage Terminal 30 009-open or short to ground. Reading an AudiWorld thread; located / replaced the relay and found the fuse (blown) / replaced. The MMI displayed all 4 settings for a few minutes and then 2 went back to gray.
I suspect the VCDS is indicating 'open' due to the blown fuse and not giving me a clue as to why. I don't think I have ever heard the compressor running, but with the fuse blown I assume it could not. Any thoughts?
Old 09-22-2017, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Check fuse again. If blown anew, the compressor is presumably pulling too much power, meaning it is going bust.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default The light should

Originally Posted by scottnybottny
Hi all,

I have just purchased an 05 4.2 TDI UK spec and have a couple of questions that despite browsing the forum I cannot find the answer too.

Firstly I have noticed that I can hear the air compressor pumping to the point of a pressure relief every few minutes when the car is first started. Is this normal operation when I have it set to automatic? I will be ordering a new relay and fuse in the morning as a precautionary measure.
It depends where you park and what you have in the car. My drive is on a slope so when I strart the car it adjusts and then when I come off the drive onto the flat road it adjusts again.

Being a late 05 I have Bluetooth so would one expect to find the relay under the left side carpet and not furthe up like in the earlier models?
Not sure, just pull it and see it only takes 5 mins

Secondly, whilst using the MMI to change the suspension settings I have noticed that only when selecting dynamic does the green symbol appear on the dash to indicate the level dropping. Should I also see an amber symbol when the car is set to comfort or lift mode? Or does that light only illuminate when there is a fault?

The arrow symbol should only come on when lowering to dynamic and then it should go out when it reaches the height.
When setting the comfort or lift the green light or lights where that symbol is located do not come on. Just and arrow at the top of the screen where the words lift Comfort, automatic and dynamic are located.

I am having it scanned tomorrow to confirm everything is running as it should be.

Thanks for you help

See above
Old 09-23-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Quick detail point of note. Early cars the green suspension light is on permanently when in dynamic mode. Later cars, it only comes on whilst it's lowering.

The yellow light is the one that you need to worry about as that indicates a system fault has been detected.