A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting close to buying

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting close to buying

Hello Audi enthusiasts, earlier this year I decided my next vehicle would be an '06 A8 and after researching I've decided on an '07 A8 for obvious reasons. This would be my first Audi and I'm pretty handy so most maintenance I'll attempt my self. I haven't purchased a bentley manual yet but plan too. I recently purchased a genuine ross tech cable to hopefully catch a possible problem before purchasing. I've watched a few videos on how to use the software but haven't connected the cable to a car yet.

The vehicle I'm considering is 700+ miles away and is equipped with sport and premium package w/90k miles. The car has had two owners which I'm not crazy about since I've always purchased used from original owners. The car was first registered as a corporate vehicle which also gives me mixed feelings. Can a vehicle registered as 'corporate' mean it was a rental vehicle? The car has 26 service records indicating 'maintenance inspection completed' regularly. Is 'maintenance inspection completed' the same as 'recommended maintenance performed' when viewed on carfax? The two are sometimes listed together and other times only 'maintenance inspection completed' is stated. Most service was done at one particular dealer and the service rep I spoke with was reluctant to forward service records. I told him I didn't need the previous owners info but he refused and only stated it was cared for due to multiple visits. I printed the carfax but may need to download it in order to post for viewing. The sales rep agreed to view a list of questions I formulated via email and would also provide additional pics upon request. I just sent him this email. The car is in the Chicago area which makes me think of possible rust so I would definitely check the car personally before buying.

List of things that have been replaced:

1. Brake fluid at 24k
2. Front pads and rotors at 31k
3. Rear pads and brake fluid at 33k
4. Window repaired at 38k
5. Oil consumption test at 45k
6. Battery at 49k
7. A/c recharged, spark plugs and decarbon service, power door liftgate motor at 55k
8. Front suspension serviced, lower control arm bushings, upper control arms,

From what I have provided should I continue investigating or run?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Could be in the zone...

Corporate could mean rental, but of course it could have been registered to a business for tax angles, or could have been a dealer house car--either used by an owner (like mine was), or I suppose as a demo or loaner. More generally, many A8's were leased, and most turned over long since. 2007s were also bought near the peak of the bubble, so a lot got turned back. Reaching back that far, as someone here back then I can tell you almost all the first owners were gone years ago, and only a few of us still go back that far.

On service records, the brake service at two years is a subtle clue service was probably done regularly via a dealer and the owner bought the 4 year service deal. Not many would probably catch that early on, but it is on the std. Audi service list. Your other wording questions are likely just dealer nomenclature.

Car has had some of the expected repairs like control arms, so good to see those already done once. Probably will need TPMS sensors now as a 6 year old car.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the quick response. One owners are rare, but I happen to see a few pop up here and there. Most have been too far from me since I'm not keen on having a vehicle shipped or buying sight unseen etc. The brake service being performed twice in almost 10k miles had me thinking a problem existed. I don't believe the decarbon service and oil consumption test are part of the regular scheduled maintenance, am I wrong? I assume one would think their car is burning too much oil for the consumption test to be performed.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Brake replacement seems to be on the dot

My x-owner replaced brakes at 33k miles also. Suspension and spark plugs @55k . no battery. It does seem like local drivers must replace these brakes at 28k-33k miles. Corporate car to me is actually a company car for executives at this car level, sometimes it's the owner of the company itself and 2nd owner is also himself for his family. That's what I did with my company before.

If everything checks out, I think you got a good car. About the carbon deposit on the FSI A8, I haven't heard much.

Just make sure it has all the options: massage seat and air cool really work well.

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
Old 10-28-2013, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm hoping everything checks out also, sport and premium package together seems rare in the used market. It's not listed as having the massage or ventilated seats but I'll check. Thanks for the gesture, I plan to fly out and drive back 700+ miles, should be fun!
Old 10-28-2013, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it will be a pretty good buy if everything checks out. At least you don't have to worry about he timing belt service since 07 is the first yr for the FSI. Those are good maintenance records. Make sure the coil pack recall has been done too which was the only recall. If not then you'll get a set of coil packs replaced for free. Good start one getting that Rosstech cable. Most of our cars are on average a 2 owner car which is still good considering. If it was a 3 or more owner car then I would be a little leary. Good choice and you'll have fun with it and good luck on your 700 miles journey back home which I know is what you are looking forward to.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I appreciate the positivity, I feel more confident about going to check it out. If I come across something that seems serious enough I won't be upset returning home without. I do wish I had a chance familiarize myself with the rosstech before looking at a prospective purchase. The software seems to be formatted well but I'm not sure if I'll interpret everything correctly. Is it true that I only need to focus on the results of the autoscan? Does the software only show current faults?

I wasn't aware of a coil pack recall. When I googled this a while back the only recall that showed was for an 'air bag control module software update' which quotes,

ON CERTAIN VEHICLES WHERE A WEAK BATTERY EXISTS, IT IS POSSIBLE THAT A LOW VOLTAGE CONDITION COULD CAUSE THE AIR BAG CONTROL UNIT TO IMPROPERLY SET A FAULT CODE. IF THIS OCCURS, THE PASSENGER SIDE FRONTAL AIR BAG WILL BECOME DEACTIVATED. HOWEVER, BOTH THE AIR BAG WARNING LIGHT IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER AS WELL AS THE 'PASSENGER AIR BAG OFF' TELLTALE IN THE CENTER OF THE INSTRUMENT PANEL WILL ILLUMINATE AND PROVIDE VISUAL WARNING TO THE DRIVER.

This comes from www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov. Also, is there
Old 10-28-2013, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea they didn't make the coil pack recall public but it doesn't hurt to ask. It either has been done already, not done, or not applicable to the recall. I know the 04-06 had it but not sure about the 07-10. I could be wrong but it's something you could look into.

Yes I would concentrate on the results on the autoscan. It does show current faults. Don't be surprised if the TPMS doesn't work. Those batteries are only good for 5-6 yrs. You can also turn off the system VIA VagCom or the MMI just so you don't get those annoying messages on the MMI. Mine hasn't worked since I've had the car and I just turned it off. It's a joke and no need for it.

I've never heard of the airbag control module recall. If it hasn't been done then I would get that taken care of.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll ask about both and see what they tell me. I could deal with a dead TPMS, no big deal there.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Here is the deal... even it's 700 miles, still, if it doesn't feel right, fly home, it's cheaper than money pit and headache. Yes, it's how you feel and how lucky you are. Trust the first instinct, don't let the extravagant stuff clouds over come your instinct. If you're meant to have a great car, it will be great. Although I believe in luck, but I did check when I took a bus 400 miles to pick up my car.

1. Spend sometimes with the car, let the owner knows up front, if he doesn't have time for you to check, make a different appointment.
2. I do play with all the switches, even the back, the lights, the windows, the soft close, heated seats, the cup holder in the back, the side sun screens.
3. I checked the suspension all positions against the lift to make sure it does go up and down for each position: auto, comfort, dynamic.
4. I pair my phone to see if the bluetooth works, if it has AMI, I plug my ipod/iphone to see if it works.
5. I bring a CD to hear a few songs.
6. I checked the locks on all doors from the outside.
7. I checked sunroof.
8. Remote trunk, my trunk didn't come up at the time but I knew it up front.
9. Make sure both remotes works with smart keys. Walk to the car, lock the door from the handles (4 doors), walk away, walk back and the trunk opens, then the doors.
10. Engine starts right up, idles evenly, great acceleration, no stereo, listen to noise, road noise, interior noise. I preferred night, but I couldn't.
11. Brakes without really holding the steering to see if it stops straight.

Look at the tires to see if they wear out evenly. I hate buying cars with new tires, it's fishy.

Cheer and good luck,

Louis

Quick Reply: Getting close to buying