A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak on 2007 fsi

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Yes, makes sense as next steps. I'ld use OE/OES part FWIW, even if pricy.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default I went cheap

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes, makes sense as next steps. I'ld use OE/OES part FWIW, even if pricy.
I replaced the one in mine with the 33.00 one from Partsgeek. Figured at 10 years old it was time. Car seems to run smoother. This might be wishful thinking.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a good look at it today and ran VCDS...no faults. How the heck did you change that PCV? It's right up against the firewall. Did other stuff have to be removed also? I looked closely at it and there is some pooling if oil at the base of where the oil filter housing meets under the intake manifold. I have found on other boards that 4.2 owners have had these o-rings fail causing an oil leak that runs down the front of engine. Might have to pull off that intake.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Mine is 2005

Originally Posted by Mike141
Got a good look at it today and ran VCDS...no faults. How the heck did you change that PCV? It's right up against the firewall. Did other stuff have to be removed also? I looked closely at it and there is some pooling if oil at the base of where the oil filter housing meets under the intake manifold. I have found on other boards that 4.2 owners have had these o-rings fail causing an oil leak that runs down the front of engine. Might have to pull off that intake.
The replacement was a little difficult. Took off cover, then loosen clamps on the side and bottom. Removed side hose and worked off the valve from the bottom hose. Replaced clamps with normal hose clamps.
Took an hour or so.
The top mount oil filter housing leak does not sound easy. Removing the intake manifold and replacing is a job.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sucking air trough oil filling cap is normal? On my car I have found oil leakage on driver side valve cover which is begining to drop on the exaust collector. Unpleasant smell of burnt oil appeared about two weeks ago, so this thread was helpfull to lokate it - thanks guys! Is it verry difficul to change the gasket?
Old 03-11-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Panelhead
The replacement was a little difficult. Took off cover, then loosen clamps on the side and bottom. Removed side hose and worked off the valve from the bottom hose. Replaced clamps with normal hose clamps.
Took an hour or so.
The top mount oil filter housing leak does not sound easy. Removing the intake manifold and replacing is a job.
I have been trying to locate a write up for removing the intake manifold, the thing that I'm concerned with is removing that fuel rail out of the way...might be beyond my mechanical means. I think I will turn this over to the pros and pay out to get it done right. I'll keep you posted to see what exactly they determine it's source is from.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I tackled this job on my 07 A8L 4.2 FSI this past week. I was getting oil seeping out from under the intake manifold and read that usually the O-rings at the oil filter housing base fail or the valley pan gasket. So I removed the intake manifold, which wasn't all that bad...just during removal I broke one of the nipples that a coolant hose goes into the plastic union (part#079133021C) piece between the intake manifold and throttle body. I was warned about breaking this and still managed to break it! Once the intake manifold was removed, there was a considerable amount of oil pooled in the valley. I also replaced my oil separator while in here because the old one was covered in gunk, so I'm sure it was leaking also. There were 3 one-time use clamps on these coolant and oil lines going into this union that had to be replaced with the worm gear type clamps.
My advice if you plan on doing this is just take your time and note where everything goes. Here is a list of part #'s I used:
079103161J valley pan gasket, 079103464F oil separator, 079103121BE N90959701 oil filter housing O-rings, and (2) 079133074B intake manifold gaskets.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Mike141; 04-28-2015 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Pics
Old 05-09-2016, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for this last post. I have a 2008 Touareg 4.2 FSI with same setup, same engine and same leak. I will be taking off the manifold and then replacing the seals listed above and the valley pan gasket. I have done a good bit of work with many VAG cars so this should be straight forward so I hope. I also bought the plastic union to replace also just in case I break it. I'll take pictures before and after and update everyone on here and ClubTouareg website. Thanks again for all the posts on this issue.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'll post pictures soon but I have everything apart and working on getting the carbon off of the valves. Definitely a lot of carbon and 95K miles i guarantee it's never been done on my Touareg. The oil leak was definitely coming from the figure 8 style gasket for the oil filter housing. I replaced all of them and after I get the carbon cleaned out i'll put her back together. Replaced the valley pan gasket too. Had to take off a few fuel lines to get to that but it was worth it. All the gaskets are new in there now and it's all cleaned up.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

How do you guys go about closing the exhaust valves? 6 were closed but 2 of them are open. Do I just physically turn the crank pulley??

Quick Reply: Oil Leak on 2007 fsi