A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original fuel filter

Old 08-07-2017, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a neat trick. idk how you used that feature but thumbs up. However, i already combed the internet looking for instructions for removal. i haven't seen any actual pictures or instructions. There are many run on threads about this topic; most people say they completed the job and the car runs fine. I havent seen much on the 2006 removal procedure. I was thinking about getting ELSAWIN. i hear its downloadable at 10.00. and contains most basic services. Have you used this manual and would that manual have this procedure. I know theres a bentley manual thats in the $100 ball park and also im aware of Ross Tech software for proper diagnostics. They are a little steep and my vcds seems like its covering most parameters aside from clearing codes manually, running specific tests, and coding modules.

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Monday, 07 August 2017, 11:59:59.

Chassis Type: 4D - Audi A8 D3
Scan: 25,01,03,08,11,15,16,17,18,35,37,45,55,56,57,65,67 ,75,76,77,02

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: None
Controller: 4E0 910 560 P
Component: 4.2L V8/5V G 0010
Coding: 0007773
Shop #: WSC 02313
VCID: 2E2F8DBBF90F
5 Faults Found:
16814 - Catalyst System; Bank 2: Efficiency Below Threshold
P0430 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
17819 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1411 - 002 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
16706 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0322 - 004 - Please Register/Activate
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
18061 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1653 - 008 - Please Register/Activate
Readiness: 0110 1101

End -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-07-2017, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

i stand corrected i found a link!!! https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2886966/page3/ but still you can speak your wisdom and experience. and thats the best i could find fyi

Last edited by Orlando Smith; 08-07-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Some pictures of the location, you just have to get in there and do it, you seem to have done the rest fine, so you can do it !

Attached Thumbnails Original fuel filter-8623203620_962ab1d4c3_b.jpg   Original fuel filter-2064338306.jpg   Original fuel filter-8622113489_c0cb72f786_b.jpg   Original fuel filter-8622095897_4315344f70_b.jpg   Original fuel filter-8623217482_2c2a2ec4c3_b.jpg  

Old 08-07-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Some pictures of the location, you just have to get in there and do it, you seem to have done the rest fine, so you can do it !

awesome transmission pics, i guess i will jack the car up and remove anything that sets in my way. ive heard going thru the fender but i will probably jack the vehicle and remove a **** ton of shielding and covering. hopefully its not a b**** to access.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Orlando Smith
I was thinking about getting ELSAWIN. i hear its downloadable at 10.00. and contains most basic services. Have you used this manual and would that manual have this procedure. I know theres a bentley manual thats in the $100 ball park and also im aware of Ross Tech software for proper diagnostics. They are a little steep and my vcds seems like its covering most parameters aside from clearing codes manually, running specific tests, and coding modules....
Yes, you can download ELSAWIN. You buy a one day subscription and download your brains out. You need a Windows machine, presumably reasonably competent one.

I use Bentley and always have. It requires old XP. I use a very old laptop PC for that, which I keep off the web to keep it virus free and running. The kind of machine someone would just give away from back in XP era. Also has my VCDS copy.

You can also use alldatadiy. Web based. Well under $100 for a multiyear subscription. Not as good as Bentley, but decent. On my Mac, since dragging out old PC is extra step.

VCDS: Trouble with shareware version was represented below right in your post:

5 Faults Found:

I don't memorize codes, nor does much of anyone. If you want my or others' advice, you typically need to provide the descriptions, not me. As always, you get what you pay for (or not). But what is a bit hidden is the value of the advice on this and similar boards from the old hands. First time you waste $200 on a part you could have avoided..which you will...you'll get it. The "language" we typically speak is VCDS, not generic OBDII that is narrow and only ECU anyway, not Bulgarian Bulgalish from the app that often leads to ignored posts from what I can sense (and now typically ignore myself), etc. If you or others don't follow the tongue in cheek, for the few times now I have seen a listing published from the app, the English is sort of the laughable offshore flavor, but just enough off that the codes become ambiguous. Guy posted one on D4 forum with the Bulgalish and got exactly zero responses last week. Would not have happened if it was in VCDS speak. OBDeleven is only other possible, but not in common use so far.

You typically want to clear module by module w/ VCDS anyway. The global clear command has not proven reliable, even though they keep saying they are/have rev'ed it to fix.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-07-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0

VCDS: Trouble with shareware version was represented below right in your post:

5 Faults Found:

It is currently called Erwin now, not Elsawin. $35 a day, not to bad, but might have the general P code to audi specific DTCs. To my knowledge looking through my Elsawin, I came across a list of P codes to DTCs. I will have a look later and post them on dropbox, with a link here if it exists.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know what each code already means. All you need is google. I just posted my results because you guys asked. 1 is for my engine speed sensor which i am replacing. 1 is that intake air pump and levers i posted about. 1 is for battery, 1 is cat converter bank 2, 1 is abs sensor on driver rear wheel. Thats it
Old 08-08-2017, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

I know what each code already means. All you need is google. I just posted my results because you guys asked. 1 is for my engine speed sensor which i am replacing. 1 is that intake air pump and levers i posted about. 1 is for battery, 1 is cat converter bank 2, 1 is abs sensor on driver rear wheel. Thats it
Yes, all you (the owner) needs to do is Google. That's really the point! Help us help you by supplying good information we can then use if you are looking for advice, plus want us to try to assess whole picture that may relate to it. You want to make it easy for people to help you with it, not hard. If I need to do that on front end as the reader, I just skip and move on. Sometimes this takes a little more of your time on front end if you want to get more suggestions that really get at the issue at hand. Keep in mind this is coming from the guy who pushed you the second time to return to the crank sensor--replies 3 and 9.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-08-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes, all you (the owner) needs to do is Google. That's really the point! Help us help you by supplying good information we can then use if you are looking for advice, plus want us to try to assess whole picture that may relate to it. You want to make it easy for people to help you with it, not hard. If I need to do that on front end as the reader, I just skip and move on. Sometimes this takes a little more of your time on front end if you want to get more suggestions that really get at the issue at hand. Keep in mind this is coming from the guy who pushed you the second time to return to the crank sensor--replies 3 and 9.
My question is merely how to access the sensor. i took your advice from previous posts and ran vcds, the diagnostics are done im pretty positive replacing that CPS will repair my issue. I also took the liberty of posting my results. however i did not explain each code in my post because im more focused on the removal process. I havent seen clear removal instructions on google for a 2006 a8. i have seen pictures of a removed transmission that shows the location highlighted. that does not show me covers that need to be removed, parts in the way, specific bits, heat shield and more. Someone offered sending me elsawin, i will research more. Hypothetically, what if its not the crank sensor?.. It should be here Thursday. i will post pictures of my installation attempt. Ironically im moving Thursday and need to get this vehicle started.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Default clogged catalytic converter ???

Basically it drove fine upon purchase, for 2 months its been great. Suddenly a CEL comes on, says cat bank 2. I ran cataclean it went away. Later i noticed i was losing power. It never cut off or acted as it would i just didnt have that umph. Next it wouldnt start,
Hello Orlando,
Two things, did you ever use the can of Ether shot into the MAF as MP suggested to see if the engine would run, therefore eliminating a spark problem, that would then lead to a fuel problem, or something else, next, based on your description of "losing power" and "umph", and the fact that you have bad CAT code on bank 2, is it possible that the Cat has collapsed inside therefore clogging the exhaust and not allowing that side of the engine to breathe, and causing as no start condition and all the sputtering you speak of, I know when I got the A6 3.0 for my son it had some misfires, it melted one of the CATS, and therefore finally did not start, we also only had the car for less then a week when this happened, it turned out to be a wiped cam lobe, yes I purchased the vehicle with a very very slight mis and trans trouble, but these problems were said to have arisen after the previous owner failed to clean the cowl drains, so after I replace both the engine and trans ECU's, the trans was fine, but the engine mis was still there, I said let me take for a ride and try to clear it out, well that is when it died and I did compression tests and pulled the valve covers to find the wiped cam lobe, I then replaced said cam, lifters, and TB job, only to have it not start, we pulled the exhaust and found the broken CAT clogging the exhaust pipe, after clearing the exhaust she fired up and ran as it should, until the rod cap let loose many thousand miles later....., then I got my son a A6 4.2, which recently has had a CAT problem, so 2 aftermarket CAT were installed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Original fuel filter