A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging Luis

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Paging Luis

You have a post here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post25029830

It states 2. There is a bushing inside the new air bag already, make sure it's the same height and width like the original, the clunking may cause by this bushing. Do not install the old one on top of the new one, only 1 needed.

I have mechanical clunking in my new ebay air bag assembly that I replaced. When I drove it, you can tell there is mechanical looseness going over bumps. It's odd, when the car is cold (i.e. sat over night), it makes a lot more noise as compared to when you have been driving it around and everything gets heat soaked, but it's still there.

I cut the wire going to the shock, checked that the 41 mm nut was tight, it was, then I removed the nut, checked everything out, it was all good, then I pre-loaded the airbag assembly with a jack under the suspension to ensure it was properly seated then re-installed the 41 mm nut, put everything back together, I thought it was better after a short drive.....but in the end it still has mechanical looseness. The lower shock to control arm bolt is tight and the sway bar link bolts are tight. Those are the only things I removed when I did the job.

I don't know what the "bushing" is that you mention. I do have an extra air bag assembly that I have not inspected.....and of course I threw my old one out and it's gone.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2019, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

To be more specific....it clunks going over bumps like the lower shock to control arm bolt is completely loose or the top attachment to the body is completely loose. I'm sure it's something inside the new assembly....but don't know what.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

The orange bushing that comes with the bag, I'll find the picture
Old 06-15-2019, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...0#post25314500
Old 06-15-2019, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't tell me you didn't check the big orange pushing, it may not come with one and you forgot to put one on?
Old 06-16-2019, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I did check that they did have the bump stop installed in the new airbag. Just went and looked at the spare airbag assembly that I received and it also has a bump stop installed. But I can tell you based on the noise it makes with no air in the air bag on the spare unit that something is hitting metal to metal in the installed air bag. I might just do it one more time so I have something to do on Father's day. LOL
Old 06-16-2019, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You didn't put the old one in additional to new, did you?
Make sure you have the 2 o rings put in correctly. If you forget or the airbag will contract and expand too freely, you may have the clunky noise also.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I am not sure what is going on. I took it off this morning.....was thinking of just putting the other airbag assembly on. I inspected everything and I thought I found the issue.....the little vertical tab that sits in the washer at the top seemed to be too high as compared to the thickness of the washer, i.e. it was about 0.020" taller than the washer, so the 41 mm nut couldn't capture the washer. I have all the pictures and then I filed it down so it was 0.020" shorter than the tab.....put everything back together.

I took it for a test drive before I re-soldered the wiring (same as what I did a few days ago when I checked the torque on the 41 mm nut). It seemed to be fixed (just like I thought earlier this week)....so I soldered the wires back together.

Then I took it for another test drive and the clunking returned. So I stopped and then disconnected the electrical connector and just like that, the clunking is gone or maybe 90% of it. Basically you wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it. Stopped again and plugged the shock electrical connector back in and the clunking returns.

Maybe the eBay airbag is not set up for a sport suspension.....only regular suspensions and they won't work together? I am thinking of just getting a rebuilt sport unit and moving on.

Darn....I thought I had something with the washer this morning. There is no way I can see that it can properly snug up the airbag assembly with the dimensions I found.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Mine is sport suspension and it works fine. The bag is controlled by the system, more or less pressure according to the settings. I didn't have to file any washer. What's the part # on the original one ?
Old 06-16-2019, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Quick Reply: Paging Luis