AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   Parked Next To A D4 Tonight - It's GRANT. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/parked-next-d4-tonight-its-grant-2858035/)

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 12-07-2013 12:20 AM

Parked Next To A D4 Tonight - It's GRANT.

Went shopping with the family tonight, a beautiful new D4 same color as my D3. Regardless of what people say, my wife wants it for our next Audi. I asked her to do it now, but she still wanted to follow our plan, until the D3 is done. We both agree the D4's butt doesn't look as good as the D3's, but the front and the whole car - D4 does look GRANT. Can't wait to have one.

Cheers,

Louis

snapdragon 12-07-2013 02:27 AM

Who or what is GRANT? Is it some sort of ghetto street talk?

jakematic 12-07-2013 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by snapdragon (Post 24516823)
Who or what is GRANT? Is it some sort of ghetto street talk?

The first thing that popped into my head is "Cary Grant is dead, how would he have a D4?"
Like many sayings these days I had to go look it up in the Old Fart Translator

Apparently, the PG version anyway, it means "sexy"

Darn kids and their rock and roll :rolleyes:

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 12-07-2013 08:39 AM

Thanks Jake- I think I'm too old for these forums

Originally Posted by jakematic (Post 24516827)
The first thing that popped into my head is "Cary Grant is dead, how would he have a D4?"
Like many sayings these days I had to go look it up in the Old Fart Translator

Apparently, the PG version anyway, it means "sexy"

Darn kids and their rock and roll :rolleyes:

And I thought A8 are for mature well established people, but I'm dead wrong. May be I should get Lincoln or Cadillac and join their forums, may be they're more mature.

May be I should say, the D4 looks totally "DISTINGUISHED" and "GRANT".

Cheers,

Louis

jakematic 12-07-2013 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7 (Post 24516895)
May be I should say, the D4 looks totally "DISTINGUISHED" and "GRANT".

Aha! I know the word 'distinguished'.
Still not clear on 'grant', and have never heard it used before, but it sounds like it means something good....

K9COP 12-07-2013 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7 (Post 24516820)
I asked her to do it now, but she still wanted to follow our plan, until the D3 is done. Can't wait to have one.

Cheers,

Louis

Solution? Get rid of the wife, and buy a D4 NOW!

;)

mishar 12-07-2013 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by K9COP (Post 24516932)
Solution? Get rid of the wife, and buy a D4 NOW!

;)

Good idea, but I would go further in that case: :)

Attachment 83244

gaspasser19 12-07-2013 01:27 PM

Merriam-Webster calls BS on your use of the word grant. Obscure slang, at best.

milellie111 12-07-2013 07:01 PM

OP, i agree. When i see the D4, i associate it with:

http://louisamayalcottismypassion.fi...rant.jpg?w=450

http://yescollege.com/wp-content/upl...lege_grant.jpg

http://dimemag.com/wp-content/upload...Grant-Hill.jpg

Mister Bally 12-07-2013 07:40 PM

Webster is not the Urban Dictionary.

dvs_dave 12-07-2013 09:31 PM

Not sure and never heard of "Grant" used as slang for something good either???? You sure you don't mean "grand", in which case that's a very old fashioned (Victorian) use of the word.

Anyway, D4 is nice but is not what you would call good looking. The D3 is a very nice design and still looks fresh. Compare it to same era 7 series and S class. D4 will date quick with all it's exterior design trinkets and odd angles everywhere.

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 12-08-2013 01:07 AM

Please, to me D4 is very Grant and D3 is so Stewart

Hello all,
I'm staying up late, reading about how to paint the bathtub, what paint to use on the cast iron, and my "GRANT" still seems to be something to talk about.
I think everyone has his/her own way of saying thing. When I see something nice, reliable, dependable, classy, sophisticated, humble... I think of Cary Grant, and I say you're Grant and if you don't know Grant, I'm sorry.
http://www.biography.com/imported/im...8103-2-402.jpg
So please, no slang, nothing, just plain GRANT. I like Stewart too, but D4 is more like Grant and D3 is actually Stewart, and if you don't know Stewart, I can say "you're a Stooge", but that's not appropriate because everyone has his/her own movie stars and the way I used the word is NOT conventional, it's a wonderful life.

Cheers,

Louis
PS: Now what paint should I use for painting my cast iron bathtub, I just finished the primer tonight, I bought the marine oil based glossy GRAY color (I and my wife both like the color), but it's not recommended, epoxy latex, epoxy acrylic, they don't sell at Lowes or home depot, I want to get it done tomorrow. Any suggestions are appreciated.

jakematic 12-08-2013 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7 (Post 24517089)
PS: Now what paint should I use for painting my cast iron bathtub, I just finished the primer tonight, I bought the marine oil based glossy GRAY color (I and my wife both like the color), but it's not recommended, epoxy latex, epoxy acrylic, they don't sell at Lowes or home depot, I want to get it done tomorrow. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I was just at Lowes buying paint for a project yesterday.

I think I would use a Rust-Oleum appliance epoxy or their tub and tile kit.
The color choices are better in the appliance epoxy but there wasn't a lot of selection at the local store.

Amazon has 7860519 available on Prime, but you'd have to wait.
Try the smaller stores too - like Ace and if you have any mom & pop hardware stores left.

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 12-08-2013 08:17 AM

Thanks Jake, but they only sell white and we want gray color. Do you think it's OK to use custom paint from Lowes, I saw those guys mixing paint for people.
Actually Lowes bought whole bunch of smaller stores in the area and I think the just left one. I'll try that also.

Cheers,

Louis

dvs_dave 12-08-2013 09:24 AM

Ok, so it's a made up meaning. In that case I would say that the D4 is really more Smith.....after Will Smith. A bit pimp but still has some class.

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 12-08-2013 10:10 AM

Will Smith it is

Originally Posted by dvs_dave (Post 24517175)
Ok, so it's a made up meaning. In that case I would say that the D4 is really more Smith.....after Will Smith. A bit pimp but still has some class.

Cheers,

Louis

mishar 12-08-2013 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by dvs_dave (Post 24517175)

Perfect for fun and drama. It will also get better and better with age.

jakematic 12-08-2013 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7 (Post 24517147)
Thanks Jake, but they only sell white and we want gray color. Do you think it's OK to use custom paint from Lowes, I saw those guys mixing paint for people.
Actually Lowes bought whole bunch of smaller stores in the area and I think the just left one. I'll try that also.

Cheers,

Louis

For the outside I don't think it matters that much.
Inside I'd want to use something fairly heavy duty, slightly flexible, and non-porous if possible.
Flexible because slight deformation due to weight of person standing and contraction/expansion of metal with temperature change.

You could always top coat it with a clear finish and/or NeverWet on the inside.
Another thought is the Ceramic Engine paint - which I was looking for but they didn't have.

Crazy, but might just work - Plasti Dip ??
Ultra crazy - powder coat it ??

Not sure what the "safety" factor of any of these paints is but it's not like you will be in there for 8 hours a day :)

ps - It's hard to find a good gray anymore. If I had my druthers everything would be battleship gray.

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 12-08-2013 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by jakematic (Post 24517192)
ps - It's hard to find a good gray anymore. If I had my druthers everything would be battleship gray.

The can I have right now is Battleship gray gloss marine top deck paint. Anyhow, just got back from the Ace, found the kit you mentioned, we both decided to get the white since gray is non-existent. We need to finish the bathroom this year sometimes. We started tearing it down a few months ago.

Thanks,

Louis

K9COP 12-08-2013 03:47 PM

FFS, what is this, extreme house make over?

New tangent... 'druthers' ? Using Louis's urban dictionary, I can only assume that means 'I'd rather like to have my own way' or 'why am I spending so much time with the peasants on the D3 threads?'

Besides, I would have expected an 'Oolong grey' bath, with four rings of course.... ;) ... and crystal taps....

Meanwhile, back at Audi World...

K9

Mister Bally 12-08-2013 06:47 PM

Well, I'm not that young and I've heard of Cary Grant and all. But, his last movie was released in 1966 and after I looked over a list of them on IMDB, I can't say I've ever seen any of them. Then again, I've never seen Star Wars, ET nor any Star Trek movies either.

I'll just say an A8, any model, is classy.

jakematic 12-09-2013 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7 (Post 24517219)
Anyhow, just got back from the Ace, found the kit you mentioned, we both decided to get the white since gray is non-existent.

Glad you found it - probably the safest bet to avoid issues down the road.
Better resale appeal too if you ever decide to go that direction.

Originally Posted by K9COP (Post 24517286)
I can only assume that means 'I'd rather like to have my own way' or 'why am I spending so much time with the peasants on the D3 threads?'

Besides, I would have expected an 'Oolong grey' bath, with four rings of course.... ;) ... and crystal taps....

Just because you fancy dressing up as Graham Wynne, and own the matching wig, doesn't mean you know DIY.... :D

I prefer this model; note the restrained yet tasteful use of carbon fiber:
http://www.homecrux.com/wp-content/u...-by-Corcel.jpg

Originally Posted by Mister Bally (Post 24517347)
Well, I'm not that young and I've heard of Cary Grant and all. But, his last movie was released in 1966 and after I looked over a list of them on IMDB, I can't say I've ever seen any of them. Then again, I've never seen Star Wars, ET nor any Star Trek movies either.

Was surprised to find I'd only seen a couple of them.
Last movie I saw in the theatre was Electric Horseman - it was too expensive then so I stopped going.

Yes, classy.

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 12-09-2013 08:42 AM

Wow, that's nice one, nice view too...
Tried 3 types of rollers and lints are still in the paint. I'll have to sand it down and use foam roller for the finish this week sometimes.
At least, almost done.

http://www.dognmonkey.com/media/svli...m_tubpaint.JPG
http://www.dognmonkey.com/media/svli..._tubpaint1.JPG

Cheers,

Louis

jakematic 12-09-2013 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7 (Post 24517498)
At least, almost done.

Looks really good, too bad about the lint.

Gray would have looked fantastic there.... :o

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 12-09-2013 02:17 PM

Yes, battleship gray already bought and couldn't be used... :-(

Originally Posted by jakematic (Post 24517581)
Looks really good, too bad about the lint.

Gray would have looked fantastic there.... :o

Looking at the old bathroom pictures and we realized we really did well although it's not perfect, but the room walls and floor weren't perfect to begin with and they're professionally built. We're complaining at each other when the our lines weren't aligned straight or even... but the room wasn't straight or even... hahahaha. Made up and everything went beautifully.

Cheers,

Louis

K9COP 12-10-2013 06:54 AM

keep up Bally...

A-what? Don't you know we're talking about baths here? :rolleyes:

K9

Originally Posted by Mister Bally (Post 24517347)

jakematic 12-10-2013 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by K9COP (Post 24517888)
A-what? Don't you know we're talking about baths here? :rolleyes:

K9

Hey now Jack Permafrost.... it's Louis' thread he can take it any direction he wants :D

K9COP 12-10-2013 03:06 PM

Yes Dad...:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by jakematic (Post 24517897)
Hey now Jack Permafrost.... it's Louis' thread he can take it any direction he wants :D

2k6blacka8 12-10-2013 08:59 PM

To be honest, the only thing I like about the D4 is the design of the interior which is updated quality and technology. Other than that not a fan of the outside of the car. Too many hard lines. If I decide to get another A8(D3), it'll be at least a 2008-10 with lower miles and CPO. They started using a donut as a spare instead of a full size. I don't know if the full size spare is an option or what. Also the trunk space is half of the depth as our D3's. It's kinda like they cheapened it up in a way. But they made the car longer in the hood area thus reducing the trunk space. The interior volume is about the same. I've sat in an CPO 2011 and experienced it for myself while my D3 is being serviced. I hope I didn't offend any D4 owners. If I did then please don't take it the wrong way.

jakematic 12-11-2013 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by 2k4blacka8 (Post 24518160)
I hope I didn't offend any D4 owners. If I did then please don't take it the wrong way.

A vehicle is a very personal choice and a huge investment, not something someone should get upset over other's opinions about :)

Sadly there is no full size spare option...

2k6blacka8 12-14-2013 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by jakematic (Post 24518214)
A vehicle is a very personal choice and a huge investment, not something someone should get upset over other's opinions about :)

Sadly there is no full size spare option...

So you can't even pay extra for the full size spare?? I know the new GM cars are optional with the donut and comes standard with that BS tire repair and pump kit. if the tires is in shreds you're screwed lol.

jakematic 12-15-2013 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by 2k4blacka8 (Post 24519490)
So you can't even pay extra for the full size spare?? I know the new GM cars are optional with the donut and comes standard with that BS tire repair and pump kit. if the tires is in shreds you're screwed lol.

I don't recall for sure, but don't think a full size will even fit.
That's why I have Audi Roadside...

What's worse is there is no TMPS so you can't keep an eye on pressure during a trip, it's all ABS sensor related.

mishar 12-15-2013 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by jakematic (Post 24519508)
I don't recall for sure, but don't think a full size will even fit.
That's why I have Audi Roadside...

What's worse is there is no TMPS so you can't keep an eye on pressure during a trip, it's all ABS sensor related.

BMW's do not have any spare. Just run flat tires. Mini too. That looks very much like future.

jakematic 12-15-2013 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by mishar (Post 24519568)
That looks very much like future.

That would be OK with me if they improve the ride quality and noise level of them.

Then again I've been looking at the Security for my next one and it has PAX tires :rolleyes:

mishar 12-15-2013 08:37 AM

Or you can 3/4 fill them with antifreeze. Like some heavy machinery. :)