A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part number / name for transmission knob 'boot' / 'cover'?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 05:10 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Part number / name for transmission **** 'boot' / 'cover'?

Does anyone have the part number or name for the part of the auto shifter **** that moves along as you shift the **** from P to R to N .. etc, covering and preventing small objects potentially from falling into the 'guts' in the shifter box below? I have no idea what happened to it in my vehicle! One day - poof - it was gone. My window was down but I highly doubt someone would steal *only* that part and leave everything else in-tact!? I wouldn't have noticed it immediately if I hadn't almost dropped a quarter down in there. To be clearer, the part I'm talking about is the plastic/rubber piece that you would touch if you put your fingers on the P/R/N/D/P/+/- markers on the shifter and moved in towards the ****; it's that little piece that the stick of the **** disappears down into and prevents you from seeing down into the shifter box.

Is that part obtainable on its own or do I need to buy some other piece of assembly that slides over the ****? This is really irritating me, and I am just asking for problems if I drop or god forbid spill something down in there. After all, it is awfully close to the drink holders.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2018, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

See

https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...rip-4e1713187a

https://www.myaudipartsnow.com/oem-p...SABEgJShPD_BwE

https://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/pr...SABEgL0nfD_BwE
Old 10-17-2018, 10:45 AM
The Transporter

Wow leave it to Audi to charge $130 (and $90 on discount from those providers!) for that little piece of plastic, lol.

Thanks Giovanni
Old 10-17-2018, 10:50 AM
The Transporter

Does anyone know if these parts can slide under the trim where the shift ****/stick sits? I am at a loss for where this could have gone. Looking at the photos it's all one piece, and there is just a little black piece of plastic still attached to the shifter and it doesn't look like it was ripped or broken off but instead just separated from that piece. It's not laying anywhere in my car. Is this piece known to slide off and under anything?

Also do these things install easily? Any idea what I need to do? I can't really find much about it and even looking at the Bentley guide I can't seem to find what it's describing the part as to find info on installing it, and am lost in all of the transmission documentation..

EDIT: I saw a description on another page, for the same part number, saying this thing is magnetic. So I guess I'd just need to remove the shifter label trim, snap this thing onto the piece that's already on the shifter and the surrounding area (that's metal, I would assume) and then reattach the trim and go?

Thanks

Last edited by a_very_naudi_guy; 10-17-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I stumbled on this post detailing shifter R&R by our dear departed Mishar, hope it helps.
-Tom
Old 10-18-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably under the trim. Remove the ashtray and remove the center screw. Grab the edges of the wood trim and gently pull it loose. There's two more pegs into holes to secure further back. I used plastic pry tools to help the trim along and it worked fine. I just did this yesterday.