A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Suspension Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Yet Another Suspension Thread

I have a 2005 A8L and have the yellow suspension light on the dash. Car does not droop but I can only select Standard and Automatic in MMI. Occasionally the light will go out and I'm able to move all the way from Lift to Dynamic several times but as soon as start driving the car I get the yellow light of suspension death again. Only fault code is:

01487 - System Function Test
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

I'm thinking control module but I was hoping for some feedback from the group before I spend money on one.

Thanks,
Duke
Old 07-02-2015, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Sounds like a loose magnet on the air compressor motor.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I can pull it this weekend and check. I did manage to catch it with the light off. I was able to clear the code and it stayed cleared. I did an output test and everything worked fine until I got to the right rear when it was lowering. I received a message that said "output 99997 [code not found]". I was able to continue the test and the car pumped right back up on both the front and rear.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I checked everything out this weekend. Compressor seems to work great and is nice and quiet. I think I'll order a rebuild kit anyway. Again I caught the car with the light off and ran through an output test. It completed the test with no issues. I was also able to run an adaptation and level out the car. Nothing was majorly off. Additionally I upgraded MMI to the latest version. That was interesting as I had a very old version and had to do it in two steps. GPS maps are now 2012/2013 which is nice as it previously showed my car in the middle of a field when I was at home.

In conclusion I've ordered a new suspension control module and I hope that fixes it.

I'll post the results as I've noticed way to many threads that just leave you hanging with no conclusion.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So after some searching I can't find the location of the suspension control module. Can anyone help me out?
Old 07-07-2015, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Sounds like a loose magnet on the air compressor motor.
Could you explain your reasoning? Perhaps reference a documented failure of this kind? The reason I ask is because I observed that the WABCO compressor retains the magnets with strong springs and can't imagine them moving anywhere unless the magnet itself is broken.

If you can hear the motor running and it's not making funny noises I would look elsewhere.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I am looking elsewhere. I want to replace my control module but can't find it. Also I ordered a rebuild kit as a preventative measure. I'll glue the magnets as well when I have it out. However as of now my compressor is nice and quiet. Is the relay a standard relay? If so I think i'll replace that while i'm working on everything else.

Hopefully someone will chime in with the module location.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
I want to replace my control module but can't find it.

Hopefully someone will chime in with the module location.

Thanks!
Page 52 Running Gear " Adaptive suspension
control unit "
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SSP_282.pdf (4.65 MB, 528 views)
Old 07-07-2015, 10:48 AM
Banned

Default Althought I am not sure the control "J197" unit is you problem,

see pages 10 and 12 of SP 292.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SSP_292.pdf (2.15 MB, 275 views)

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 07-07-2015 at 10:51 AM. Reason: add info
Old 07-07-2015, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GradecEngineering
Could you explain your reasoning? .
Either one or both magnets can come loose from the housing, I had one loose on my past 04, Just as Mister BALLY has stated many times and is correct for that matter, the magnet or magnets comes loose and the compressor will run slow, or not at all, or in my case it was sporadically in a on/off motion very quickly, I am not sure what springs you are referring to, as the armature slides in between the magnets, or at least I do not recall said springs at this moment, let me pour a Jameson.....

Quick Reply: Yet Another Suspension Thread