A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peeling/bubbled buttons

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
Maybe you should keep a box of these in the A8 ?

Haha, and thanks for not linkng to amazon for that; otherwise every time "adchoices" or Amazon sees me shopping I'd get an ad for dwarf condoms!

Also, wasn't it you who showed the interior of your car complete with matching open-knuckle gloves on the seat? I was going to dig for that pic but i'm on my mutant android and simple posting is a chore!

I DO in fact keep a box of latex gloves in each car; in the trunk, though. And as long as I'm confessing I have an Alfa that I made everyone (myself included) take their shoes off and place them on one spot (near the seat, on the carpet mat) Sounds silly but it kept the footwells from getting banged up. The interior looks like it did when it rolled off the line.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
Also, wasn't it you who showed the interior of your car complete with matching open-knuckle gloves on the seat?
Not me.... probably K9 and his multitudinous weird obsessions.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default It's the other way around... $10k difference worths a lot more in the long run

Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat
Problem with buying a younger car with lower miles is it looks like $10-20k price difference, and I feel like that price difference could buy a whole lot of buttons and fix a lot of things that may need fixing.
That's really a miscalculation IMO. Buy older cars, problems, high miles, cheaper than newer cars, less problems, lower miles...
- After all fixes and done and all the money put in the car (gosh know how much...) you still have an older car with higher miles and more problems.
- I've seen people who spent on an 04, repainted, 120k miles and tons of time to fix - final price $14k, and started out with $8k because everything he thought was easy to fix and it turned into a night mare.

Anyhow, I rather buy a lower miles car, newer car with improved components for a few thousand more and have no problems for a few years. Never buy a walking wounded car, it doesn't matter how small the wound is. Again, it's me.

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
Old 03-21-2014, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I know Audi went with the rubber type coating for the tactile feel but my 99D2 had perfect looking switches after 13 years of service but these switches looks like **** after 4 or 5 years. I replaced my master windows switches because the previous owner scratched them up.

My next switch will be the trunk and fuel door. Anyone replaced this switch yet? I wonder how easy or difficult it will be.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
I am a dealer that specializes in used Audis so I see many interiors in various condition. What I see as the chief culprits in ruining soft-touch control surfaces is A) physical wear from women using the tip of a long fingernail to press the button and B) chemical degrading from hand lotion that women use.

My car had funky MMI buttons when I purchased it @ 60K and, since I am the most **** retentive MF on the planet I had to eliminate the agrivation. So I simply bought a used but pristine MMI control panel for $250 and did the easy R&R. Almost 100K later and my MMI panel still looks like new.

So, in the relative money of buying an A8, I would not let the $250 cost of a used MMI dissuade you from an A8 that you otherwise like.

And if the two round cursor/push ***** on the MMI are peeling, just pull them off and pop the black disc off from the back side. Then spray the discs with Krylon SEMI-FLAT BLACK and they'll be OEM looking.

As to keeping the MMI buttons like new, I push on them at the inboard edge where the hard plastic,red indicator light is molded in to the button, instead of on the soft-touch icon area that will get shiny and show wear. And push the two push-***** with two fingers on the silver outer ring and that will keep their black centers looking new.(see what I mean about A/R!)
I would find it rather difficult to press different keys at different locations, especially while driving.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
You can do the roof overhead trim that has buttons like the home link, the keyless start/stop buttons, the driver's window and door switches, mirror switch and trunk and fuel switches with new OE for around $400 from a discounted dealer like AudiUSAParts if I remember correctly. Some of those like window switches may eventually wear out electrically anyway. The fuel and trunk switch is trickier to get at than the others because of the way the door pocket is done. The other sometimes one might be the headlight switch, but on mine it was pretty good.

MMI panel might be as much as all of these combined. It tends to get replaced due to spills that get into the electronics. I also did the sunroof deflector motor at around the same time, but that's not trim directly. It is under the upper panel trim when you pull it.

For $400 give or take, at 100K miles on a 2006 I thought it was a nice spiff up. Definitely eliminated a bunch of "wear signs." Less than about 2 weeks payment on a new one. Since my leather is holding up very nicely, it kept me busy from looking at newish ones.

BTW, if you are looking at used ones, watch out for broken soft close lids in the whole console area, or missing front upholder. Pricy stuff, especially the cupholder--over $200 for just the insert. ...I epoxied the bottom aluminum of mine when it dropped out for about 20 cents. Know it going in to either walk if the rest of the car is beaten too, or to haggle on price for expensive missing/screwed up trim type stuff if it is a recent vintage/non beater or fixer upper.
Agreed. The window buttons are under 100 bucks a pop if i remember correctly.

Doing stuff like that + new steering wheel and shifter is my usual MO when buying a used car.

You can also try plastidip:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...fix-Plasti-Dip

Last edited by halik; 04-18-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default you get used to it...

Originally Posted by fkaufman
I would find it rather difficult to press different keys at different locations, especially while driving.
and it becomes automatic routine.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the main control **** on my 2006 A6 was bubbling so I peeled off the vinyl, looks good as new now since its the same color underneath. hopefully this is the same case for the A8
Old 07-30-2015, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
...My car had funky MMI buttons when I purchased it @ 60K and, since I am the most **** retentive MF on the planet ... And push the two push-***** with two fingers on the silver outer ring and that will keep their black centers looking new.(see what I mean about A/R!)
Haha, reading this old post after actually meeting Awdinut and spending two fun-filled days with him I can more fully appreciate that self-diagnosis. I wish more people were like him, we would have a cleaner planet! Actually, I think it's OCD, but I'm not a psychiatrist. We have a lot in common; but after you have kids your germ aversion is reduced exponentially. I'm surprised the Awdinut even got into my "well-used" car!

Originally Posted by HawksFan12
the main control **** on my 2006 A6 was bubbling so I peeled off the vinyl, looks good as new now since its the same color underneath. hopefully this is the same case for the A8
Welcome, and you obviously know how to search! Here's to you! (bourbon gulp).

-Tom