A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up my 2007 A8 today.... so nice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Clean! Very Nice! Welcome!!
Old 09-02-2015, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very impressed with your ride. I am meticulous about my '04, however, the engine compartment is cleaner than mine. The chromed rims are a nice touch. I want an '07 or '08 next.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangirz
Very Clean! Very Nice! Welcome!!
Thanks, it is nice to be back. Got to say though, I see yours in black and it looks so much better.

Originally Posted by Johnnyb2451
I am very impressed with your ride. I am meticulous about my '04, however, the engine compartment is cleaner than mine. The chromed rims are a nice touch. I want an '07 or '08 next.
Thanks, the car is unbelievably clean. The car has had two prior owners, probably first was a lease. The most recent owner, a female 50 year old bank executive has had the car for the last 3 years and I swear she must have driven it from her garage to some very clean covered storage at work. I mean every door jam mechanism is like new as is every other nook and cranny. It is going to be a lot of regular work to keep it this nice but I will do the work.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stGOAT
Thanks, it is nice to be back. Got to say though, I see yours in black and it looks so much better.

Thanks, the car is unbelievably clean. The car has had two prior owners, probably first was a lease. The most recent owner, a female 50 year old bank executive has had the car for the last 3 years and I swear she must have driven it from her garage to some very clean covered storage at work. I mean every door jam mechanism is like new as is every other nook and cranny. It is going to be a lot of regular work to keep it this nice but I will do the work.
I don't usually like white, but yours with the chrome wheels is spectacular...enjoy!! Mine looks Black but is actually Night Blue Pearl Effect and I couldn't believe it when I saw it on the lot last May (2014) at 58k miles (93k kilometers), 4 years old, $120,000 Canadian new and I got them down to $33,000 CAD or about 30k U.S. at the time...the car was (and still is) like new!
Old 09-24-2015, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well this is day 24 of ownership. There have been a few discoveries, issues.

1. TPMS problem, light on, could not find which sensor was causing the problem so I pulled out the Hex+Can cable and disabled the function for now. Less annoying.

2. Trunk would not open properly most of the time. Lubricated joints and took the very heavy tow hook out of the tool kit and now trunk opens and closes properly 100% of the time.

3. Something that happens very infrequently is that one or the other headlight does not come on. It seem that, turning them off, waiting 10 sec or so, turning back on has them come on. I have only had this happen once to me and once to my wife. What makes this difficult to troubleshoot is that the intermittent behavior can occur with either headlight. Both driving light bulbs always come on but one, the other or both headlight will not come on. Doing research on this, learning before I start spending. Generally this does not happen at all but when it does (twice in first 24 days of ownership) a little fiddling with on/off gets them on. All info you might share would be greatly appreciated.

4. The car came with what is left of a Platinum level warranty from Fidelity (about 20Kmiles or 1.5 years) and I just got confirmation that the warranty has been transferred to me. Dealer named in warranty is Rusnak/Pasedena. Nice to have that extra safety net.

In general, everyone that rides in this car loves it and it is a joy to drive, the ultimate in comfort.

I believe that I will keep this car for a year and then get a newer but still used 4.2L which is what I was looking for anyway.

Last edited by 1stGOAT; 09-24-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default New pads and rotor DIY

I put new rotors and pads on the front yesterday. It is quite easy to do. I ordered OEM rotors and pads from ecstuning. Total cost was 556. Could have gone non-OEM and it would have cost about half but I will generally only use OEM. Took me about 2.5 hours working at casual pace.

Man those rotors are heavy.

Last edited by 1stGOAT; 09-30-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man those rotor are heavy.
Because they are HUGE. never had a vehicle with larger calipers or rotors. My F250 came close, but I think these are larger diameter.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Well this is day 24 of ownership. There have been a few discoveries, issues.

1. TPMS problem, light on, could not find which sensor was causing the problem so I pulled out the Hex+Can cable and disabled the function for now. Less annoying.

2. Trunk would not open properly most of the time. Lubricated joints and took the very heavy tow hook out of the tool kit and now trunk opens and closes properly 100% of the time.

3. Something that happens very infrequently is that one or the other headlight does not come on. It seem that, turning them off, waiting 10 sec or so, turning back on has them come on. I have only had this happen once to me and once to my wife. What makes this difficult to troubleshoot is that the intermittent behavior can occur with either headlight. Both driving light bulbs always come on but one, the other or both headlight will not come on. Doing research on this, learning before I start spending. Generally this does not happen at all but when it does (twice in first 24 days of ownership) a little fiddling with on/off gets them on. All info you might share would be greatly appreciated.

4. The car came with what is left of a Platinum level warranty from Fidelity (about 20Kmiles or 1.5 years) and I just got confirmation that the warranty has been transferred to me. Dealer named in warranty is Rusnak/Pasedena. Nice to have that extra safety net.

In general, everyone that rides in this car loves it and it is a joy to drive, the ultimate in comfort.

I believe that I will keep this car for a year and then get a newer but still used 4.2L which is what I was looking for anyway.
#1: Use VAG COM to read each sensor battery level. If never done before, they are all junk by now (about 6-6 1/2 year life). For any that say 0-12 months of life, just replace. Can go OE for $$$ (or $$ for OES = Beru, since bought by Huf) or $ for various compatibles for a good amount less.

#3. Consider that bulbs themselves (I'm assuming HID) likely are down to half their new brightness--thats a 2000 hour type spec. if you poke around the web; do a calc and make a guess of average on time per day and you can conclude by 5-8 years depending on miles and drive time at night they are well down on apparent brightness. Thus consider straight up bulb change to something like Nightbreakers. Honestly, hard to find your miles very easily in this post though. Could also be someone fiddled with them before and didn't get the ignitors onto the bulbs quite right; the interlock is trickier for many that it might appear.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
#1: Use VAG COM to read each sensor battery level. If never done before, they are all junk by now (about 6-6 1/2 year life). For any that say 0-12 months of life, just replace. Can go OE for $$$ (or $$ for OES = Beru, since bought by Huf) or $ for various compatibles for a good amount less.

#3. Consider that bulbs themselves (I'm assuming HID) likely are down to half their new brightness--thats a 2000 hour type spec. if you poke around the web; do a calc and make a guess of average on time per day and you can conclude by 5-8 years depending on miles and drive time at night they are well down on apparent brightness. Thus consider straight up bulb change to something like Nightbreakers. Honestly, hard to find your miles very easily in this post though. Could also be someone fiddled with them before and didn't get the ignitors onto the bulbs quite right; the interlock is trickier for many that it might appear.
Thanks for the info. Car has just under 67K miles.

Given the age of the car in years (2007 model) I suspect the TPMS are right at end of life, I won't bother to replace them until I get either new wheels or tires.

On the headlights I was looking for a clue on the problem by going through forums but I couldn't find any comparable posts. If the darn things would just fail consistently it would be easier. They have only failed about 3 times. Twice one headlight was out. The third time I was checking them and first left would come on and the second time the right would come on, third time niether came on and on the fourth try they came on normally. It has not happened since. Because both headlight have been affected in a similar manner I am looking to see what each circuit has in common. I suspect replacing the bulbs is a good idea just because of the age, but they do seem to burn bright and come on quickly normally. From what I gather the igniters almost never fail, true/false?
Old 09-30-2015, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the info. Car has just under 67K miles.

Given the age of the car in years (2007 model) I suspect the TPMS are right at end of life, I won't bother to replace them until I get either new wheels or tires.

On the headlights I was looking for a clue on the problem by going through forums but I couldn't find any comparable posts. If the darn things would just fail consistently it would be easier. They have only failed about 3 times. Twice one headlight was out. The third time I was checking them and first left would come on and the second time the right would come on, third time niether came on and on the fourth try they came on normally. It has not happened since. Because both headlight have been affected in a similar manner I am looking to see what each circuit has in common. I suspect replacing the bulbs is a good idea just because of the age, but they do seem to burn bright and come on quickly normally. From what I gather the igniters almost never fail, true/false?
I have a question for the headlight problem you are experiencing. Do you use auto or do you turn the headlights on in the full right hand position with the switch. I had the same issue occur when using auto on occasion, but never when turning the switch to the full right hand position, and I suspect its my switch. So I simply use the full right hand position with the switch, no troubles to be had.

Quick Reply: Picked up my 2007 A8 today.... so nice.