A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air suspension problem Audi A8 4.2L Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension problem Audi A8 4.2L Quattro

Good Morning.
. Had an issue where sometimes my air suspension compressor would work and would not work. Sometimes when getting in the car the green and yellow warning lights on dashboard would come on. I would turn the car off to let it reset, then turn it back on and sometimes this took three or four tries. After much irritation from this, I took it ro the Audi dealer and they told me that the compressor needed to be changed and the relay was sticking, and $2500. So on the way home, I stopped by the store to get a few things. When I finally got home, and out the car, I heard the compressor steadily running, ran so long it ran my battery down. Think it even fries the compressor. Couldn't get the jack under car because it had lowered itself. So I order a new compressor and a relay from Audi and install it. It lifts the car up, but I think to high. Now the rear is to high and will not come down. Is there a way to relieve the pressure to get it down? Yellow light is staying on. How do I correct this? Please help.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You have leak in the system. Need VCDS scan to narrow it down. Also need to read sticky tread at the top. Lots of useful information. Search will greatly help too. There are hundreds of treads on this subject.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

mishar, Thanks for the reply back. Just a few questions still. Why is there a leak if the rear isn't going down and its staying in lift mode? I'm thinking if there was a leak it would go down in the rear and not stay up. So I have attached a photo of the VAG II I want to order. Will this work with the system? I looked at the sticky tread, and it said that part was discontinued for that particular VAG COM part.

Again thanks for your response with this.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DDDANO
Good Morning.
. Had an issue where sometimes my air suspension compressor would work and would not work. Sometimes when getting in the car the green and yellow warning lights on dashboard would come on. I would turn the car off to let it reset, then turn it back on and sometimes this took three or four tries. After much irritation from this, I took it ro the Audi dealer and they told me that the compressor needed to be changed and the relay was sticking, and $2500. So on the way home, I stopped by the store to get a few things. When I finally got home, and out the car, I heard the compressor steadily running, ran so long it ran my battery down. Think it even fries the compressor. Couldn't get the jack under car because it had lowered itself. So I order a new compressor and a relay from Audi and install it. It lifts the car up, but I think to high. Now the rear is to high and will not come down. Is there a way to relieve the pressure to get it down? Yellow light is staying on. How do I correct this? Please help.
There is your leak. Buy VCDS from Ross-Tech.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm on the site right now. Do I order the one that says Ten (10) different cars (VIN numbers)? Will it cover my 2006 Audi A8 4.2L Quattro?
Old 03-28-2017, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Also do you mean there is a leak from your last post? You typed There is your leak. Just making your that is what your trying to say.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Misha highlighted your statement about the car lowering itself, he was referring to that as evidence of the leak your car has. The car doesn't lower itself like that, it means you have a leak either in one of those struts or the valve block. Struts are by far most common, read up on the many, many threads about how to diagnose them properly.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Jack88, understood on that part in regards to the leak. I'm asking about the VCDS tool now. I have been reading many, many, many of the post, which how I got here. I'm trying to order the correct VCDS tool for this and wanted to simply know am I ordering the correct one so I can narrow down what is going on with my suspension and get it repaired. So do I order the one that says Ten (10) different cars (VIN numbers)? Will it cover my 2006 Audi A8 4.2L Quattro?
Old 03-28-2017, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes. But you can probably get by with the three car version.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Okay Mister Bally, thanks. Ordering now.

Quick Reply: Air suspension problem Audi A8 4.2L Quattro