A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Randomly won’t start/stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Randomly won’t start/stalling

Good Evening,

I have a 2008 A8L 4.2 that randomly stalls after start up and won’t be able to start again for a couple of hours. This issue has been happening randomly but more often lately. There are no check engine codes and no misfires while driving. The only way I have been able to avoid the car shutting down once started is holding rpms between 3 and 4 thousand for around two minutes. If anyone can help me with this issue it would be a great help.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kamaro
Good Evening,

I have a 2008 A8L 4.2 that randomly stalls after start up and won’t be able to start again for a couple of hours. This issue has been happening randomly but more often lately. There are no check engine codes and no misfires while driving. The only way I have been able to avoid the car shutting down once started is holding rpms between 3 and 4 thousand for around two minutes. If anyone can help me with this issue it would be a great help.
Are you saying that there is no fault codes at all?
That seems strange, since an A8 is rather sensitive and throw codes if it can't read the navi dvd.

I hope you have some kind of code reader?
Preferably VCDS or OBDEleven - which by the way is getting better by each update and since it's always in my car and i always have my mobile on me i tend to use it a lot more than the former - but even a cheap ebay-reader should work.
So buy/borrow/steal a code reader and check codes!
Old 05-10-2018, 01:21 AM
Back axle behind the ears

Originally Posted by BizarrEftersmak

since an A8 is rather sensitive
Worse than a woman...!!
Old 05-10-2018, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

As implied by prior answers get a real diagnostic code tool. If you are only relying on CEL and feel, not close to good enough. A guess might be fuel pumps.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If ´really no DTC:s are stored and the engine stalls and won't start, I would blame it on the crankshaft sensor. This sensor rarely throws DTC:s, but is the single sensor the engine can't run without at all.

Also dead fuel pump might cause the same issue, or a faulty throttle body.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by volvopentaman
If ´really no DTC:s are stored and the engine stalls and won't start, I would blame it on the crankshaft sensor. This sensor rarely throws DTC:s, but is the single sensor the engine can't run without at all.

Also dead fuel pump might cause the same issue, or a faulty throttle body.
+1, yep the flaky crank sensor is the other best good guess to me as flagged here.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:26 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doctor: What is bothering you today, ma’am?
Elderly Patient: I have the strangest problem; I have bad gas all day, everyday. The other thing is that is odorless. It is so strange. Can you help?
Doc: Take two of these pills twice a day and come back in a week.
[One week later]
EP: Doc, you are a quack! Those pills made things worse. I still have bad gas, but now it smells horrible! I have never felt so embarrassed! What are you going to do about it?
Doc: Well, the pills restored your sense of smell. Now we have to work on the gas.

It sounds like your first problem could be that the internal code reporting system might not be functioning as designed. I have never heard of that, but I can’t imagine a stall without a code. MP, any way to check that without VCDS?
Old 05-12-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by IndyAudi
Doctor: What is bothering you today, ma’am?
Elderly Patient: I have the strangest problem; I have bad gas all day, everyday. The other thing is that is odorless. It is so strange. Can you help?
Doc: Take two of these pills twice a day and come back in a week.
[One week later]
EP: Doc, you are a quack! Those pills made things worse. I still have bad gas, but now it smells horrible! I have never felt so embarrassed! What are you going to do about it?
Doc: Well, the pills restored your sense of smell. Now we have to work on the gas.

It sounds like your first problem could be that the internal code reporting system might not be functioning as designed. I have never heard of that, but I can’t imagine a stall without a code. MP, any way to check that without VCDS?

As volvopentaman identified, the crank sensor is one that may not throw any codes. It has come up on this board a bunch of times over the years now. You go back to good old (old school) diagnostics that seem increasingly lost in the app and scan era, and you go with best judgment/guess. To your analogy, the doctor with the iPad in his hand given to him by the IT guy last year is saying take a look at this screen of treatment options and tell me what looks right. The patient responds, perhaps you notice from the quaint paper chart you must have somewhere--or maybe that red tipped cane in the corner and dog on the floor--that I am flippin' blind!

The whole engine data gathering used for fuel and ignition ultimately relies on knowing where the motor is cycle wise, and without the crank sensor it is likewise blind. But car may not know it is blind sensor wise from what the field experience says. Like the stroke patient who may not realize it. Could argue they should have added redundancy and cross checking via cam sensors or some such, but they didn't. In reverse, there is cam sensor checking like that. Meantime, its a known failure point on older 4.2's, and known that a scan may not see it. Flaky start cold vs. warm is one of the classic old school diagnostic recognition points for "seeing it." As I mentioned, fuel can be another, and there likewise the sensors are not really set up for fuel flow IIRC, but rather for lean/rich as takeoffs from the O2 sensors and air flow from MAF. And again, known experience from the board says suspect fuel pumps. If it varies depending on tank fill level, suspect transfer pump; if it is flaky regardless of fuel level, suspect main one. If it is an FSI motor, then layer HPFP's on top diagnostically. Set up seems just to assume the fuel is flowing, like it assumes the motor can see its position.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-12-2018 at 08:55 AM.