A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to change my upper control arms

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by a_alyte
Ok, I see. I'll put it on ramps to do a dry run. I'll be ordering Lemforders soon, doing the whole arm instead of pressing.
not hard at all to tighten them with tires on and weight lowered. It does help to have the right wrenches....ones with a short handle and a slight bend in them.
Takes no time....
Old 12-16-2017, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Check Karlyn CA after 2 years and still GOOD...

I got new tires and my tire worn out so badly inner/outer. Before I replace my new tires, I wanted to make sure my Karly CA are bad as the right ones after 9 mos. According to MP4.2 suggested that could be CA, but I've never had alignment after replacing them on MAY 31, 2015. The amazing results were that both of my Karlyn CA are still GOOD. So it must be the alignment. I think the ones that were bad after 9 mos due to incorrect CA height adjustment, the bushing had to much stress on it. Now, I'm ready to take it to the Shop and have the new tires put on and have alignment done. One thing about the alignment, I talked to the manager of WheelWorks here in Newark, he's not sure if he has to drop the subframe to adjust the alignment. I insisted that it's the right way for our Audi A8, he got nervous and ensure that he will look at the car before he work on it. I was glad he's honest.

Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 12-16-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I replaced my upper control arms this weekend. I did not have too much trouble with the pinch bolts despite this being the first time they have come off in 13 years on a midwest car. What I did have a crazy amount of trouble with were the post on the ball joints that go into the knuckle. I could not tap them out. So I got some ball joint separator forks, and managed to get them half way out, at which point the fork was in as far as it would go. This unfortunately destroyed the boots. I still could not tap them out, even after heating up the knuckle. Then I got on kind of adjustable separator press, which fit on the front control arm joint but not the rearward one. Then I got another type ball joint separator. I had to put a lot of force on that one too... then everything thing just comes apart in an explosive burst of potential energy turning into kinetic energy. Anyway, I'm just writing this to give people a heads up about what tools to have on hand, as, its not just the pinch bolt that may get you. Have a ball joint separator like the one below on hand, and maybe even some separator forks.

Old 08-06-2022, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to know. I am in the middle of that job and have one of those tools handy but unfortunately the pinch bolt got me bad first and I have to deal with that.