A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Trunk Lid Softclose Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 03:01 PM
DA8
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Trunk Lid Softclose Not Working

My problem is similar to other rear latch problem post except for me the root problem is with the softclose. It was working intermittently in cold weather. With recent 25 degree weather the softclose and latch failed completely. I ordered the new latch unit from audipartsusa.com, installed it yesterday. Latch works fine, softclose still does not.

My thinking is that the softclose feature is in the latch (upper part). My rationale for thinking this is that I had a softclose issue before with the drivers door and I fixed it by replacing the latch unit. The latch units for the doors have a small motor in them, and the one for the trunk looks like it does too because there is a round cylinder shape in the plastic housing and it has a 3 wire connector on it. My thinking is that the only closing function of the latch itself is to catch then the softclose activates. My theory about opening is that the handle button on outside of the trunk actually opens the latch by receiving signal by hand (or electronically) then a motor in the handle unit activates a cable mechanically to pull the latch open. The latch has an oblong plastic cable connection on it that you hook cable ends on to it coming from the outer handle unit and the emergency release handle cable inside. I think bottom section on the car body that the latch goes into is just a post only for latch to grab onto.

So if my theory is correct that softclose is in the latch, why is softclose still not working with the new latch? Is there an adaptation with vagcom that needs to take place? I searched vagcom and could not find a specific adaptation for rear lid softclose under group 46 Central Convenience. Available adaptations are for 4 different keys, alarm functions, window functions, and central locking functions that relate to the alarm.

There was an error code in there for the previous latch failure,
01699 - Motor for Central Locking: Hatch/Trunk (v53)
014 - Defective - Intermittent
I cleared the code and it did not return with the new latch.

I thought maybe look at the pins on each side, that they are some kind of activators for the softclose? Besides that I am out of ideas.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Not aware of anything on electronic side here--my own experience

For what its worth, mine acted up last year in cold too, leading eventually to mechanical latch replace. That basically fixed it. I have not done anything at all in VAG COM/VCDS. It can still be a little flaky where it doesn't want to catch if I do something out of the ordinary--not temp related like it was pre-latch change. Like the other day when I fooled w/ the key slot to be sure mine was in order. It didn't want to latch after that. I left it overnight (in garage) since it was dark by then. The next day with the lid still open the whole time, I triggered latch mechanism mechanically by sticking something into the open jaw of the latch and pushing upward--so it would mechanically throw the latch to the closed position. Then I "opened it" by using outside trunk handle to get latch to pop back to open position. Following that, it then closed successfully when I used the button on the edge of the trunk lid to lower and close it. After that, plus cycling unlock and lock w/ key remote a few times, it is fine, and both raised and lowered correctly by either hand of w/ remote open function.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The soft close hardware is a cable connected to the striker under the plastic 'gate' in the bottom edge (sill) of the trunk. That cable is pulled by a motor enclosed in a styrofoam case in the battery compartment. The cable pulls the striker downward.

With the lid open you can simulate closing the lid by tripping the latch with a screwdriver and listen to see if the soft-close motor cycles. And 'unlock' the trunk with your remote and listen for the softclose cycle.

I replaced my soft-close unit this summer with a used one off eBay. Its a straight forward R&R. Remove the plastic sill and you'll see the striker and cable. Follow thw cable and you'll find the motor tucked away.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:39 PM
DA8
AudiWorld Member

Default Correct

Originally Posted by awdinut
The soft close hardware is a cable connected to the striker under the plastic 'gate' in the bottom edge (sill) of the trunk. That cable is pulled by a motor enclosed in a styrofoam case in the battery compartment. The cable pulls the striker downward.

With the lid open you can simulate closing the lid by tripping the latch with a screwdriver and listen to see if the soft-close motor cycles. And 'unlock' the trunk with your remote and listen for the softclose cycle.

I replaced my soft-close unit this summer with a used one off eBay. Its a straight forward R&R. Remove the plastic sill and you'll see the striker and cable. Follow thw cable and you'll find the motor tucked away.
Thanks awdinut. My assumption that the softclose was in the latch was incorrect. Although that is the case with the doors, it is not the case with the trunk.

I took apart the sill trim and inspected the "softclose strike." Indeed it was not moving, but the cable was. Turns out there is a little spring in there that pulls it to the up position when released. Without that little spring the unit stays fixed and does not move even though the cable is pulling in and out from the motor on the right side as it should. I found the little spring on the boot floor and the eyelet on the end had broken off. With a pair of needlenose pliers I opened up the broken end of the spring and made a new loop then reattached it. Softclose fixed.

Turns out I probably never did even need that new latch unit. Well it is in there now.

Last edited by DA8; 11-16-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It's all somewhere here. Just the search is not that good.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:49 PM
DA8
AudiWorld Member

Sorry I didn't find that one. But yea that is it, the little spring.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Pulling mine apart was scheduled for yesterday. But it rained all day and I cannot get garage space reserved to work inside. But I think my spring is defective, soft close is intermittant. Hope it is the spring.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default If the spring is not broken and the bracket is set correctly

the soft close motor should work - I noticed when I was playing with the trunk lift motor, if the system is out of sync - (latch + motor + bracket (out of alignment)), the soft close stops working, it's not the motor.
Use a screw driver and close the latch on the lid to see if it's working.

Cheers,

Louis
PS: before replacing anything, the best is to troubleshoot the whole system to make sure we don't replace the good part. I've encountered most of the problems we have posted up here and I haven't had to replace anything yet.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Everyone has it right. There are basically two common problems with the trunk close. The latch, or the little spring that goes bad. I know my issue was the upper latch. I could lube the latch and it would work for a little while. Since the latch was not that expensive, I just replaced it and has always worked since. A lot of other folks here had the issue with the spring breaking so it sounds like replacing the spring will cure your issue.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:38 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In my car, the latch failed first, then the striker motor for the soft close, (the spring was fine, the actual cable snapped off the motor)

And then the main opening motor was replaced as well.

The spring is usually the failing point for that assembly but its easy to replace if it does go.

Mike

Quick Reply: Rear Trunk Lid Softclose Not Working