AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   Relentless Pursuit for Apple CarPlay on MMI 2G (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/relentless-pursuit-apple-carplay-mmi-2g-2960463/)

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 10-11-2018 09:34 AM

Relentless Pursuit for Apple CarPlay on MMI 2G

If it's electronic stuff, it can be done... The relentless pursuit for Apple CarPlay now working, especially when the navigation keep having "check dvd". I don't need to check any more, although I ordered a drive unit from China already for $120, just for kicks. Now, the touchscreen is NEXT, but the Bluetooth keyboard with track pad is working wonderfully, it's icing on the cake. This is now the best AMI system for MMI 2G for less than $300.
Cheers,
Louis

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 10-14-2018 09:44 AM

CarPlay with Touch Screen and Microphone

Now it's more like it... For Atomic, OBDeleven is now native, can access to it anytime.
Cheers,
Louis

a_very_naudi_guy 10-15-2018 12:52 PM

Nice =D

dvs_dave 10-15-2018 03:52 PM

Nice. Did you look at universal car play boxes.....ones that output to RCA?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F332805770631

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 10-15-2018 04:48 PM

None of these supports touchscreen, without touchscreen, it fails the convenience of CarPlay. You can't watch movies, my kids now love to watch movies on a dinky screen with great sounds in the car, just like the theater sounds.
Cheers,
Louis

dvs_dave 10-15-2018 06:01 PM

Carplay is designed to work with touch screen or via some sort of control wheel. Touch screen is more convenient, but plenty of OEMs including Audi, BMW and Mercedes all have non touchscreen implementations of Carplay.

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 10-15-2018 06:40 PM

Seriously Dave? Audi doesn't have CarPlay until 2017, they should all have touchscreen then. My little eGolf had touchscreen in 2017. I guess moving from app to app with steering buttons is doable but not optimum.

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 10-30-2018 01:56 PM

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto final on 2006 A8L

Alright, I finally got everything in place and the family loves the system. The kids love to talk to Siri, navigate to this and that, play this song, text this person, etc... It's a fun thing for the family on the trip. It's amazing system. The TV tuner is a must since it's controlled by the MMI software. The best thing is it answers call with MMI Bluetooth and comes right back to the Apple CarPlay. It's simple and not too hard to install.

Cheers,
Louis

dvs_dave 10-30-2018 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by dvs_dave (Post 25224260)
Carplay is designed to work with touch screen or via some sort of control wheel. Touch screen is more convenient, but plenty of OEMs including Audi, BMW and Mercedes all have non touchscreen implementations of Carplay.

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7 (Post 25224283)
Seriously Dave? Audi doesn't have CarPlay until 2017, they should all have touchscreen then. My little eGolf had touchscreen in 2017. I guess moving from app to app with steering buttons is doable but not optimum.

Yep, seriously. OEM implementations of carplay (particularly early ones, or where the screen is out of reach) are often not touch screen and controlled via a control wheel or similar.
Here is a demo of the OEM Audi system using the MMI control wheel.

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 10-30-2018 04:36 PM

Wow, brand new Audi with controller for Apple CarPlay. Actually it's not hard to implement the can bus to android, just have to do some research. When you click a button, can bus signal will be issued, on the Android CarPlay has the learning key, all we need is the device to read the key stroke and communicate to the android box to accept the signal just like on the usb keyboard.
There's nothing hard about it, just if you want to spend the time and the money, especially on this 12 year old technology. I like touch screen.
I'm going to get a 7" thin profile Android high resolution to put on my Q7 - 1024x800 instead of ugly 720x480. The problem with people is that the signal goes to the monitor is differential which I can build a circuit to change the signal to analog single line to the Android Stereo, whenever I want to see the MMI screen, just click a button for the external video input to show up on the screen.
Cheers,
Louis