A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced front shock, now having lifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I didn't say the mechanic turned it off, someone might do it to hide the failures. Did you have the function before replacing the shock?
no sir i did not, i attempted to find it prior to changing out the shock to put it in jack mode but discovered i was sol, any thoughts on the random over inflation
Old 03-15-2019, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeanA8L757
no sir i did not, i attempted to find it prior to changing out the shock to put it in jack mode but discovered i was sol, any thoughts on the random over inflation
The car could potentially be stuck in jack mode. Do you have any pictures of how high the car sits?
Old 03-15-2019, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

If the car in jack mode, the pump will not pump at all... it's by design.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

If the car in jack mode, the pump will not pump at all... it's by design.
Oh ok I see. What do you think is happening with the ride height?
Old 03-15-2019, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There are more leaks in the system.
Need to get the system connected to the MMI to set to lift mode, then jack mode, leave it sit for a few minutes, hours or days depending upon how slow/fast of the leaks. The struts that fail will sag independently. If both front or rear or all went down, it's the valve block. The valve block leak will lower both front or rear and not independently,
Simple test and pretty accurate to find the problems and it's never the pump as many uninformed, illiterate mechanics would recommend or the rebuild kit people would love to sell, cheap and wishful.
Watch my videos on how I troubleshot mine.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

There are more leaks in the system.
Need to get the system connected to the MMI to set to lift mode, then jack mode, leave it sit for a few minutes, hours or days depending upon how slow/fast of the leaks. The struts that fail will sag independently. If both front or rear or all went down, it's the valve block. The valve block leak will lower both front or rear and not independently,
Simple test and pretty accurate to find the problems and it's never the pump as many uninformed, illiterate mechanics would recommend or the rebuild kit people would love to sell, cheap and wishful.
Watch my videos on how I troubleshot mine.
I definitely will watch your video. I love what you did with the mmi system on your A8! I absolutely love the apple CarPlay you did! I’m quite new to A8’s... I will be going in a few hours to see a 2004 A8L, very excited! Car is extremely clean! The first thing I will definitely do to it is resolve the slow trunk like you did with yours.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Plan ahead on what you want to do with your new A8, if you want to have entertainment system like mine, get 07 or 06. 04 doesn't have better updated electronic stuff, it's the first year for D3.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Plan ahead on what you want to do with your new A8, if you want to have entertainment system like mine, get 07 or 06. 04 doesn't have better updated electronic stuff, it's the first year for D3.
Absoloutely. I’ve actually decided to go see 2 more as well... a 2006 and a 2008. Wanted to get your view on mileage, the 2004 I’m going to look at has 165,059 kms on it. What is your opinion on that mileage?
Old 03-16-2019, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Mileage doesn't really mean much, I would buy Mr. Bally's 230k+ miles not km over any unknown 100k miles. It's the owner, how well they keep the car, how abusive they are... The problem with A8 D3 is that they look so good, you can't tell if it's abused or mishandled. One mistake made by a mechanic, the car is wounded for life. What's made to fail, will fail, just a matter of time. I do take care of my car and drive it nicely and things still break when time comes, and it's in the best weather and garage most of its life.
I would buy a car if it's all original and driven nicely, original suspension should last a long time, I don't want some shady mechanic changed the suspension with unknown rebuilt parts and break the car due to mishandling the replacement. It cost me $250 for a new Chinese made bag and it works perfectly, yes, I'm rolling the dice due to low quality control but at least it's new, airbag is not rocket science, a bag to hold some pressure, expand and contract as air pumps in/out. The leaks are mostly at the clamped section. You get one that clamp put on correctly, it would last for life.
Find the right car, watch my video on how to check the car before picking it up.
Read my post on how to find the best D3. I always research before buying.
Cheers and good luck,
Louis
Old 03-16-2019, 01:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mileage doesn't really mean much, I would buy Mr. Bally's 230k+ miles not km over any unknown 100k miles. It's the owner, how well they keep the car, how abusive they are... The problem with A8 D3 is that they look so good, you can't tell if it's abused or mishandled. One mistake made by a mechanic, the car is wounded for life. What's made to fail, will fail, just a matter of time. I do take care of my car and drive it nicely and things still break when time comes, and it's in the best weather and garage most of its life.
I would buy a car if it's all original and driven nicely, original suspension should last a long time, I don't want some shady mechanic changed the suspension with unknown rebuilt parts and break the car due to mishandling the replacement. It cost me $250 for a new Chinese made bag and it works perfectly, yes, I'm rolling the dice due to low quality control but at least it's new, airbag is not rocket science, a bag to hold some pressure, expand and contract as air pumps in/out. The leaks are mostly at the clamped section. You get one that clamp put on correctly, it would last for life.
Find the right car, watch my video on how to check the car before picking it up.
Read my post on how to find the best D3. I always research before buying.
Cheers and good luck,
Louis
Thank you very much for writing this out. Much appreciated and your video was big help! I will be getting whichever A8 I buy inspected by an Audi dealership.

Quick Reply: Replaced front shock, now having lifting issues