A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofitting Satellite radio

Old 04-27-2018, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Retrofitting Satellite radio

Okay! I bought a satellite radio module so I could have that with the car! Problem is 2 parts. Now, granted I haven't taken out all the other modules yet, but the basic problem is that there seems to be no plug for the fiber optic. If I borrow one from the bluetooth, it works just fine. Is there one buried in here somewhere I'm missing? The second problem is that the cover for the area doesn't seem to want to go back on, is there a different cover for cars with all those modules?
Old 04-27-2018, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's worth adding that I don't think the car came with bluetooth and I know it didn't have AMI factory, all those were added by Mishar.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Seriously, anyone? I can't find the connector to the bus, the other three connected in the picture were taped together. If the connector does not exist, I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to get it installed. My suspicion is that the bluetooth module is taking up the connector intended for the satellite radio.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Seriously, anyone? I can't find the connector to the bus, the other three connected in the picture were taped together. If the connector does not exist, I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to get it installed. My suspicion is that the bluetooth module is taking up the connector intended for the satellite radio.
The bluetooth module should be under the carpet of the driver seat? Anyhow, splice the optical from the bluetooth to the XM radio. Simple, but you need to find where to mount it close by.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
The bluetooth module should be under the carpet of the driver seat? Anyhow, splice the optical from the bluetooth to the XM radio. Simple, but you need to find where to mount it close by.
Ah, I bought the splitter. The bluetooth module was not factory, I don't think it was even an option in 2005 when the car was built. Anyway, the module is there, I looked up the part number for it when I found it and was wondering what it was. I would guess Mishar put it there to save tearing up carpet. The splitter is coming from China, so it'll take a month to get here. Not driving the car anyway, waiting on CV boots to get here so I can get it in the shop and driveable again. Not that that will last long if the strut gets worse, handling the nightmare from the warranty company. 3 hours on the phone and 9 emails later, they still aren't covering it...
Old 05-09-2018, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just wanted to update the thread with resolution. The fiber optic splitter cable worked fine!
Old 05-10-2018, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good splitter $25 solved the problem. Where did you mount it?
Cheers,
Louis
Old 05-10-2018, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good splitter $25 solved the problem. Where did you mount it?
Cheers,
Louis
Oh, it's just hanging out in front of the other modules, one screw holding the access panel on. I have a slightly different issue now, my backup camera doesn't pop up and my bluetooth doesn't want to work. This came up when I played with the modules and had unplugged these things, but re-plugged them all back in. After installing the splitter and satellite radio, I performed an MMI reset and the only thing that changed is that instead of my phone just not connecting to the car's bluetooth, now the bluetooth doesn't even show up.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Remove the radio and the splitter to see if everything is back to normal
Old 05-11-2018, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Remove the radio and the splitter to see if everything is back to normal
I can try that, but I should note this problem started when I was digging around in the trunk trying to find out where to connect the radio, before the splitter was ever installed. I'm wondering if I should try going into the green menu, unchecking the bluetooth and backup camera as features, do a reset, reenable them, and do another reset.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retrofitting Satellite radio