A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMT Air suspension leaks again.....

Old 08-18-2016, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMT Air suspension leaks again.....

Well after 8 months, my front suspension, in which the rebuilt struts are from RMT, is leaking again. I noticed the green lowering light when coming into the driveway yesterday. I tested by placing the car in jack mode. Came out today and front was completely on bumpstops. When I called them, they suggested that I check the valve block. But there are no codes. They also stated they have no cores, so I would have to send some in and be reimbursed. I really hope they can work with me on this.....I really don't want to give a bad name to them....

Last edited by Junius; 08-18-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Junius
Well after 8 months, my front suspension, in which the rebuilt struts are from RMT, is leaking again. I noticed the green lowering light when coming into the driveway yesterday. I tested by placing the car in jack mode. Came out today and front was completely on bumpstops. When I called them, they suggested that I check the valve block. But there are no codes. They also stated they have no cores, so I would have to send some in and be reimbursed. I really hope they can work with me on this.....I really don't want to give a bad name to them....
Try the standard soapy water test to make sure? I believe that I had a sensor code when my valve block went, but I also remember reading that someone had a similar experience, with no codes.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I really doubt it's the valve block. The rear is totally fine. From the looks of it, it seems like the drivers side is the culprit as its lower than the passenger side. I had taken a 3 week trip and when I came back, the rear was at normal height but the front was down. I'll use RMT again since I have a lifetime warranty with them.
But I really hope this is the last time. If not, this car is going to another home....
Old 08-18-2016, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For what it's worth, when I had to replace mine the rear didn't sag either. I did the same jack mode + soapy water tests on the front struts, which didn't show any leaks. Valve block seems to hardly ever fail though, from what I remember. If it is the strut, maybe they'll send you one first and let you send the faulty one back so you're not waiting too long.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah I'll definitely keep this updated since RMT and Arnott are the "go to" guys besides OEM. Hopefully they come through with their customer service.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Junius
I really doubt it's the valve block. The rear is totally fine. From the looks of it, it seems like the drivers side is the culprit as its lower than the passenger side. I had taken a 3 week trip and when I came back, the rear was at normal height but the front was down. I'll use RMT again since I have a lifetime warranty with them.
But I really hope this is the last time. If not, this car is going to another home....
Keep in mind valve block is not just a "splitter." It does control air distribution on a per corner basis, so it can have a failure that affects the valving and air distribution for just the one corner. But agreed, just based on posts air strut failure are the common cause. Some have lost air blocks though, and occasionally multiple parts.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-18-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah I'll definitely keep that in mind. I noticed the drivers strut is dropping down pretty fast after engine shut down. It noticed it takes about 5 or so hours to noticeably drop. We will see in the incoming week
Old 08-19-2016, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would put some soapy water on the air fitting just to be sure there are no leaks due to a bad o-ring.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:10 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm starting to regret my rebuild. I sent all 4 non-leaking struts in to be rebuilt, as preventative maintenance. So far, the fronts aren't leaking, but I have had to return the rears twice. The first time was due to bad packaging, where the reservoir mounts punctured the boots. After installing the rears, they have both leaked at the very top. Passenger side was bad enough it wouldn't even pump up. Drivers side leaked down in about 1 minute. I don't know how they could have missed leaks like these if they were tested.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've used them once to replace a drivers strut, the one they had sent was leaking. It was leaking at the brass air inlet fitting. Also, I was concerned about the studs that mount to the strut hat, they were much shorter that the original one. I could only get about 3 threads on the nuts. I called and told them and they sent a replacement one right away. The one they sent has been installed for about 1.5 years and still working fine. I thought to myself that maybe It was a one off case, but after seeing numerous complaints on their reliability im not too sure. Their customer service was good though. (Im knocking on wood for know)

Originally Posted by tjf
I'm starting to regret my rebuild. I sent all 4 non-leaking struts in to be rebuilt, as preventative maintenance. So far, the fronts aren't leaking, but I have had to return the rears twice. The first time was due to bad packaging, where the reservoir mounts punctured the boots. After installing the rears, they have both leaked at the very top. Passenger side was bad enough it wouldn't even pump up. Drivers side leaked down in about 1 minute. I don't know how they could have missed leaks like these if they were tested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RMT Air suspension leaks again.....