AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   Rotors that don't need replacing? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/rotors-dont-need-replacing-2842720/)

idf 02-17-2013 04:55 PM

Rotors that don't need replacing?

Hey all,

Any aftermarket rotors out there that dont require replacement?

One of the more annoying things about owning this car is the fact that I have to spend a few hundred extra $ for every brake job because of this.

I'd like to avoid it, any options out there that are priced reasonably?

Thanks

mishar 02-17-2013 05:05 PM

Not possible.

idf 02-17-2013 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by mishar (Post 24409295)
Not possible.

Come on!! There has to be something!

Brozee 02-17-2013 05:51 PM

lol I thought this was a joke as I read it....

You could always go carbon ceramic brakes and only change them ever 150-200k miles! But it'll run you $x,xxx dollars......! (This is a joke don't take it seriously).

On my 05 A8 in 50k miles I bought the car with already used brakes and rotors and have only changed new pads and rotors once and I'm at 110k on that car now. You drive a flagship sedan quit complaining about things that are common to replace on just about every car ever!

I don't enjoy taking showers, shaving, going to work, taking the gf shopping; but their all things that are annoying but necessary...

kgd_007 02-17-2013 05:52 PM

You shouldn't have to replace them every time. Aside from that you are just going to have to lay out the cash or get a different car.

Brozee 02-17-2013 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by kgd_007 (Post 24409319)
You shouldn't have to replace them every time. Aside from that you are just going to have to lay out the cash or get a different car.

He is correct. My W12 needs new brakes and has the light on. The light has been on for about a month and a half. I was under the impression I would need new brakes/rotors for possibly front and back.

Turns out the rotors are fine all around and all I need to replace is the front pads. But with the cost of front pads and with the rotor being past half it's life (roughly), I didn't want to risk squealing pads or having to replace the rotors before the pads have to be replaced. Since you wouldn't put used pads on a new rotor. Also didn't want to have my rotor refinished (turned) although I could have done it myself with some time and sandpaper.

I will be posting my nice new setup soon.

MP4.2+6.0 02-17-2013 06:40 PM

FWIW, my W12 calcs are roughly 75-80K miles...

on the rotors before they go under the min spec. I'm alternating between the original factory set and a drilled set (which used OE blanks), so have pulled and mic'ed each on the most recent DIY brake jobs. In simple terms, rotors should run through two pad sets, and definitely not just one. My driving is suburban mixed stop and go and freeway, and definitely somewhat spirited.

Also, unlike most all my prior Audi's on this one the front and rears wear similarly--both pads and rotor percentage--instead of the backs a lot less than the fronts.

Mister Bally 02-17-2013 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 (Post 24409342)
on the rotors before they go under the min spec. I'm alternating between the original factory set and a drilled set (which used OE blanks), so have pulled and mic'ed each on recent DIY brake jobs. In simple terms, rotors should run through two pad sets, and definitely not just one. My driving is suburban mixed stop and go and freeway, and definitely somewhat spirited.

Also, unlike most all my prior Audi's on this one the front and rears wear similarly--both pads and rotor percentage--instead of the backs a lot less than the fronts.

For me, (4.2L) as well as almost every VW & Audi I've owned with discs, Every 2nd pad change also gets new rotors. When funds were tight, I'd wait one more pad change. I basically get 225,000-300,000 miles on a car before she goes to the scrap heap.

mishar 02-17-2013 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Brozee (Post 24409321)
Also didn't want to have my rotor refinished (turned) although I could have done it myself with some time and sandpaper.

Man be serious. It is not really good, nor easy done on a lathe, even grinding machine.

awdinut 02-17-2013 07:37 PM

turned without removing...

Originally Posted by mishar (Post 24409349)
Man be serious. It is not really good, nor easy done on a lathe, even grinding machine.

my fronts pads and rotors had developed bad pulsation after 30K miles. Pads were quite thick and the rotors still had lots of metal left...don't know why they warped (yes I know some experts say rotors dont warp) but the shop that did my rear brakes the week before (they were metal on metal and I assumed the rear rotors were the cause of the vibration, but it was the fronts) recentley bought a $10K that turns rotors while they are still on the car. So I had them turn the rotors.

Did not take very long to do and the brakes are PERFECTLY smooth. Of course it remains to be seen if they warp more quickly due to having less mass to disipate heat. Although they only removed about one half mm of thickness. I didnt even know such a machine existed. They say its better when done on the car because it compensates for any variables in the hubs, etc.