A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust on brake caliper plates... and caliper covers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust on brake caliper plates... and caliper covers.

My calipers have unsightly rust on the metal plate in the center of the caliper. I'd like to take the plates off and refinish them with high-temp paint. Do they come off easily?

Or, has anyone used brake caliper covers which cover the entire caliper? Will they clear the factory 19" sport wheels?

Thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Yes. BTDT

Clips pull off easily w/ just a screwdriver. Harder part is actually getting them back on. Before painting, if you haven't done it before, you might actually just practice refitting one to get the hang of where to pry and press--I do it w/ a combo a mid sized flat blade screwdriver and a rubber or deadweight hammer to drive it home when I think I have levered it close enough. I suggest that because once you paint it, you won't want to unnecessarily chew it up.

Paint: just order up the VHT (Very High Temperature--it's a brand) off of Amazon. Silver if you want factory boring, or black (my choice if I have those clips on instead of the S8 ones) or red or whatever. A little sanding/wire brush to clean up, a few coats in short succession, a 20 minute quick oven bake, and you are good to go.

No, I don't know if a cover will fit, but I wouldn't go there--traps heat, more dust stuck in the movable works, etc. If you want to dress it up, get some rings or Audi decals, apply post base paint and then clear coat them on. BTDT too. They seem to be able to take the heat w/out any issue--from practical experience here and on a set of Mini Brembo's where I put the decal right on the caliper unit. Not that I like covers but on 4.2's the calipers+ rotors were sized to just barely clear factory 17's, and on S8's and W12s to clear factory 18's. Thus figure you have about 1" radius worth of clearance total off the calipers w/ a 19" factory wheel set up on a 4.2. Same as I have with 20's w/ the W12 brake size up, which visually seems right as a confirm.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Mike +1 for the below write up, but...

... check this thread (mixed results thereon) themselves, my car's on there with destructions and pics. I removed the plates to clean both calipers and plates, and they are a total PITA to get back on around fresh paint, so yes, practice before paint!!

PM if you get stuck.

K9
Old 06-22-2012, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks K9, but I don't see a thread link.

btw. What do you think about carefully masking them off and painting the whole caliper?
Old 06-22-2012, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default When I did it this way...

I used the brush on stuff like TireRack sells. Can get a decent finish though not totally brush mark free. A lot easier to avoid overspray that way and deal w/ the realities of bolt points, brake lines, wire connections, etc.

From long term wear/use of both, a top spray job really lasts, while the brush stuff starts cracking off w/in 5 years even with really good prep. But then the only spray jobs I have done are completely off the car and thus best prep and multicoat.

Click on my auto sig link by the way (that has been there for years) about the front brake mod. About midway down you will find a picture of the regular caliper unit and rotor, plus the stock clip painted black. That was with brush paint from Tire Rack. I have since modded more, but calipers are still that brush job. Also notice that lousy stock Audi rotor finish too where the hat is tarnished and rust stained. Have since learned to lightly stray that pary of the rotor with VHT silver before installing. Looks a tone better and very simple to do.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-22-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry Mike, here's the link:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...int+rotor+hats

I SPRAYED mine on the car, and very carefully prepped and then masked them off and shot several coats of paint on them. I also wire brushed and painted the inner ring on the front rotors too. I would say yes, spray and mask off v. carefully, and be particularly careful of over spray under the car, and paint drift around the sides of the car too. Patience is the key.

K9

Originally Posted by MikeNSX
Thanks K9, but I don't see a thread link.

btw. What do you think about carefully masking them off and painting the whole caliper?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

IMy son and I removed all of the calipers and backing plates and spray painted them red in the basement this past January. The cover plates were sprayed silver for contrast purposes and a small decal that only I would use was added to the plates. With over 10,000 miles including winter and now hot weather, no sign of any heat effects on the decal let alone the painted stuff. It appears those covers do not get that hot but I don't feel like touching them to test my theory.

A few pictures can be fou. nd here. http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/q...3DIMAG1047.jpg

You will note the Tire Rack el cheapo $89.00 17" alloy chinese junk rims I use with my winter Michelin Xice tires. At least the decals and calipers are quite visible with those wheels versus the 19" turbines.

Amazing how fast a film of rust forms on the rotors in a humid garage.

On a related note, Ballykid painted the calipers on the Beetle by masking them and leaving them on the car. That experience first prompted him to remove the ones on the A8. He got to experience his first brake fluid flush and bleed with the pressure bleeder as well.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 06-24-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bally, you do good work. Very nice! I, on the other hand, can't have my car down for too long and i'm not up to the task of removing the calipers. I need to deal with them on the car.

I think the aluminum covers look cheezy, and they are 200 bucks.

I think my best bet is to carefully brush paint them by hand. Other than the metal plate, which could be masked and sprayed, the caliper is a rough casting and I don't believe brush strokes will be an issue.

What type of paint do you suggest? High temp enamel from an auto parts store?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2012, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeNSX
Bally, you do good work. Very nice! I, on the other hand, can't have my car down for too long and i'm not up to the task of removing the calipers. I need to deal with them on the car.

I think the aluminum covers look cheezy, and they are 200 bucks.

I think my best bet is to carefully brush paint them by hand. Other than the metal plate, which could be masked and sprayed, the caliper is a rough casting and I don't believe brush strokes will be an issue.

What type of paint do you suggest? High temp enamel from an auto parts store?

Thanks
Thanks, We used Dupli-Color brush-on red. Bought it at an Advance Auto Parts stoe. I know there are two part(epoxy) caliper paints available.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ordered the paint kit from tire rack. and I have an audi 4 rings decal coming from ebay. The car is black, the paint is red and decal is silver. I think it'll look sharp.
at least better than it does now/

Quick Reply: Rust on brake caliper plates... and caliper covers.