A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 With Ceramic Brakes, Rim fitting

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S8 With Ceramic Brakes, Rim fitting

Hello i have S8 with ceramic brakes.

Now my rims are original 20" with ET 46.

Those rims are just few millimeters from brake caliper.

Does there fit any other rim with other ET?

Anyone have fitted?
Old 04-05-2018, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

As long as it clears, no issue. You can also use spacers if desired--the D3 offset is pretty conservative. D4 offset was reduced to 35-37mm on similar 9" wide wheel sizing. D4 wheels can be fit to a D3 with a hub centric ring for the center hole. D4's still use 20's even with yet larger 400mm factory ceramic brake set up (up from 380mm on D3 ceramics). I think the D3's could likely use 19's for ceramics; they use as small as 18's with the factory conventional cast iron rotors at 385mm. Thus, the issue is more the brake caliper side clearance to the wheel spoke area than it is to the outer barrel of the wheel. The CCB calipers are pretty bulky too--to go along with the higher performance Brembo many piston set up.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-05-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:16 AM
Audiworld senior member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried a couple of 19's on my S8 D3 + Ceramic brakes and it fitted just. Only space for a knife to stick behind the brake caliper and the inside of the wheel. My Idea was to get 4 Pirelli AT Scorpion 19's tires https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/...t/scorpion-atr to make the V10 better suitable for the many off roads here in NZ but I didn't pull trough investing NZ$2500 for a second pair AT tires and having the risk that in the end it wouldn't fit perfectly. Not sure about enough space inside the wheel housing when turning and sitting in lowest setting and in hindsight lucky I didn't had them on the car when the cheap Chinese airbag spring exploded and the car landed 4 cm above street level. Instead I chose another set of German Continentals on the original 20's wheels.
The 19's wheels I have spare to test are the 10 spoke RS4 wheels I bought of a local for NZ$300 with scuffed corners.. Hope one day I can get an AT tire worked out. Run also AT tires on my wifes Allroad and definitely the way to go when regular commuting on metal and dirt roads.
There is also not much use for high speed tires here in NZ where the possible drivable topspeed is not higher possible then 160 on public roads. Not much motorways and way to much corners along the coast roads. Max speed I drove in NZ was on the 90 miles beach 190 km/h with the V10 couple of years ago.

Last edited by -Treser-; 04-06-2018 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That video is awesome!!!

Originally Posted by -Treser-
I tried a couple of 19's on my S8 D3 + Ceramic brakes and it fitted just. Only space for a knife to stick behind the brake caliper and the inside of the wheel. My Idea was to get 4 Pirelli AT Scorpion 19's tires https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/...t/scorpion-atr to make the V10 better suitable for the many off roads here in NZ but I didn't pull trough investing NZ$2500 for a second pair AT tires and having the risk that in the end it wouldn't fit perfectly. Not sure about enough space inside the wheel housing when turning and sitting in lowest setting and in hindsight lucky I didn't had them on the car when the cheap Chinese airbag spring exploded and the car landed 4 cm above street level. Instead I chose another set of German Continentals on the original 20's wheels.
The 19's wheels I have spare to test are the 10 spoke RS4 wheels I bought of a local for NZ$300 with scuffed corners.. Hope one day I can get an AT tire worked out. Run also AT tires on my wifes Allroad and definitely the way to go when regular commuting on metal and dirt roads.
There is also not much use for high speed tires here in NZ where the possible drivable topspeed is not higher possible then 160 on public roads. Not much motorways and way to much corners along the coast roads. Max speed I drove in NZ was on the 90 miles beach 190 km/h with the V10 couple of years ago.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:59 PM
Back axle behind the ears

Is this the 90 miles beach that is 55 miles long...??!
Old 04-07-2018, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

I think they mixed up kilometers with miles, as then it makes sense.

From my experience with NZ driving (wife is a kiwi so we visit lots) a car that’s fast and handles nimbly in the 60-120 km/h range I think is optimal. A8/S8 is optimized for less twisty, much higher speed roads. Even here in the US, with the 55mph limit that actually means 80mph in reality, the A8 is only just stating to get into its stride. Suspension lowers, the gear ratios are ideal for effortless powerful acceleration, it tracks rock solid, etc. I’m always surprised by how much faster it is in that speed range than it leads you to believe it will be given the comparatively laid back performance it has at lower speed ranges. It really feels like it wants to run and headbutt its speed limiter as fast as possible.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
I think they mixed up kilometers with miles, as then it makes sense.

From my experience with NZ driving (wife is a kiwi so we visit lots) a car that’s fast and handles nimbly in the 60-120 km/h range I think is optimal. A8/S8 is optimized for less twisty, much higher speed roads. Even here in the US, with the 55mph limit that actually means 80mph in reality, the A8 is only just stating to get into its stride. Suspension lowers, the gear ratios are ideal for effortless powerful acceleration, it tracks rock solid, etc. I’m always surprised by how much faster it is in that speed range than it leads you to believe it will be given the comparatively laid back performance it has at lower speed ranges. It really feels like it wants to run and headbutt its speed limiter as fast as possible.
Makes sense while not making sense lol...

Sadly, there's no real twisty or exciting roads here in Qatar, it's either traffic lights every few hundred meters or highway...
Must say, I am impressed with the power of the S8, she whips up lively at any speed, including away from the lights... Plus I've had her up to just over 200km/h on the new deserted 7 lane highway, she managed that pretty quickly without even breaking a sweat...
And surprisingly economical as well to be fair, it's at least 25-30% better than my V8 X5 that it replaced...
Just a shame about the stereo lol...
An all the other Audi D3 foibles I seem to have encountered...
Old 04-08-2018, 03:50 AM
Audiworld senior member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that makes sense as 55 miles is 88 km.. In the old days cars in New Zealand where sold with Miles inside the dash and then later everything changed into km/h. Probably a reason for this mishap.
I forgot to tel I had to change my front tires after the 25 km up and 25 km back along part of the stretch. The local tourist buses have to change their tires every 5000 km. The beach is like sandpaper.
I reckon Mixja you have probably similar problems with the desert sand flying along your roads. ATM F1 in Bachrain is also coping with the same issues of a an extreme abrasive circuit eating tires like crazy.

Last edited by -Treser-; 04-08-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:01 AM

Yes that makes sense as 55 miles is 88 km.. In the old days cars in New Zealand where sold with Miles inside the dash and then later everything changed into km/h. Probably a reason for this mishap.
I forgot to tel I had to change my front tires after the 25 km up and 25 km back along part of the stretch. The local tourist buses have to change their tires every 5000 km. The beach is like sandpaper.
I reckon Mixja you have probably similar problems with the desert sand flying along your roads. ATM F1 in Bachrein is also coping with the same issues of a an extreme abrasive circuit eating tires like crazy.
It's pretty dusty here lol, yes...
Can't say I've noticed it affecting tyre wear tho....
Old 01-23-2021, 10:37 PM
R A
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mixja23
Makes sense while not making sense lol...

Sadly, there's no real twisty or exciting roads here in Qatar, it's either traffic lights every few hundred meters or highway...
Must say, I am impressed with the power of the S8, she whips up lively at any speed, including away from the lights... Plus I've had her up to just over 200km/h on the new deserted 7 lane highway, she managed that pretty quickly without even breaking a sweat...
And surprisingly economical as well to be fair, it's at least 25-30% better than my V8 X5 that it replaced...
Just a shame about the stereo lol...
An all the other Audi D3 foibles I seem to have encountered...
Are you still in DOHA? Got my self an S8 D3 and would be good to get some advice about it!

Quick Reply: S8 With Ceramic Brakes, Rim fitting