A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 D3 Power steering whirring noise- Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S8 D3 Power steering whirring noise- Advice please

2008 S8. Have a problem with the power steering that is annoying more than anything, as the steering seems to be working just fine.

When cold, and turning the steering with the engine at idle, all is fine.

Once the engine is warm, when moving the steering wheel off it's position (doesn't matter if the wheels are center or other-just when there is a load on the pump) there is a whirring noise that can be felt slightly through the steering wheel. I would say this noise is louder than the engine.

Checked all suspension joints, completely flushed power steering fluid and replaced with new genuine Audi fluid. If I hold the steering to produce the noise, and rev to 1500 rpm, whirring disappears, until at idle again.

Can any of you S8 owners tell me how yours is please. Any other suggestions?

I am worried about the pump, but an engine out job to replace is not a great thought. That said, as is many things S8, it may be normal.....
Old 04-18-2016, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

OP did u ever get any info on this, mine is making a similar noise now. Wondering what the heck it is...
Old 04-18-2016, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

If it turn out that its the power steering pump (not likely) I do not think the engine needs to be removed to access it. I just replaced my A/C compressor that's in the same area and I did it without dropping the motor. Its not a two hour job, but you can do this if it turns out that your engine-driven pump is going/has gone bad. Obviously check all the easy things first like fluid and such. The fluid is hard to check as you have to remove the dang airbox......
Old 08-04-2016, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by hunterp27
If it turn out that its the power steering pump (not likely) I do not think the engine needs to be removed to access it. I just replaced my A/C compressor that's in the same area and I did it without dropping the motor. Its not a two hour job, but you can do this if it turns out that your engine-driven pump is going/has gone bad. Obviously check all the easy things first like fluid and such. The fluid is hard to check as you have to remove the dang airbox......
I just had my PS Pump go out in my b6 s4 last month, turned out the spline to the block/timing system, the sleeve coupler, and PS pump spline shredded themselves, not sure how that happens but I was able to replace the PS pump and assembly pieces without pulling engine. It's tight, and pulling the driver's side wheel well cover allowed enough space to remove. You also have to lower the sway bar, and remove lower motor mount bracket, motor mount, and upper motor mount bracket (prop up engine on Jack's for support) flushing the PS fluid is highly recommended while everything is apart. I'll follow up with pics and part numbers soon.