A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 Roll Bar Mod, Part 1--rear: backgrounder & step by step of how to really do it (non-Bentley!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Will report back... time to complete, next mod, etc.

Sorry for your loss. Having helped my brother in law recently on my old C4 where the glass was broken, it struck me they would be hard to get off unless you had seen the inside before. Easy to fit on though.

Will report back later this week on rear feel.
I have a bunch of highway driving to do this week back and forth.

Time to complete. See the far end of my novel. Bottom line, using my technique in the rear, my estimate is about 2+ hours for one guy with the tools I used. My guess in the front will be 1+ hour with more modest tools and much simpler technique overall than the rear, including dropping the belly pan(s) of course.

Next mod is the front bar.

Then, back to the brakes...as you know. Drilled stock in front w/ EBC reds--once I compare them side by side with the OEM Audi pad, since I found low and behold the W12 OEM part # is a bit different. Also plan to fit the S8 caliper trim, usable on any current D3 for the rest of the board crew. Pricy. I am trying to figure out some way to get it to say W12 (or four rings anyway) that is truly durable. The red S parallelogram with W12 superimposed would be my hot ticket, tied into the red of the pads, but only if I find a struggling artist with high temp paints... I like the quartz grey type background the S8 trim uses too, so unlear how I will go. Yeah, I'm thinking about brake function of course, but might as well do the art stuff too given I think it is among the few weak finish areas on a D3.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Later link to my follow up report on it

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8d3/msgs/50057.phtml">Road test report</a></li></ul>
Old 02-28-2010, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was EXTREMELY informative and I am looking at the sway bar mods as part of my 2010 mod allocation.

Thanks for the great detail. I think I can do this myself!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks...

Many miles later 100% happy with it. Great ride (and I am on factory 20" 35 series with summer tires much of the time) and handling both for such a big car with heavy motor out front. Did tighten it up nicely and corners ridiculously fast and flat for a sedan--tires, bars and air suspension all contributing.

The front is really easy. The rear took more time to thread it in there, but I documented how it's done. If you are willing to cut the old one in a couple of pieces (like with a demo saw), you can no doubt get it out a lot faster. Stilll have to thread the new one in. May be a tiny bit easier on a 4.2 since the 6.0 exhausts are also somewhat larger; as I recall clearing the exhaust tubing was part of it.

Anyway, you would like it, I would bet especially if you are starting from non-sport all around ( I was 1/2 and 1/2 with the W12 anomoly I documented of stock air shocks but sport bars).
Old 02-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I know_ a late post reply.
That was an excellent post with step by step photos on swap of a rear bar. As a result I will now be sure to get an A8L with Sport package for my first Audi! Wow, and I thought wrenching on a 3000GT Vr4 was a pain for some ten years?
Excellent and thorough write up. You should be paid for that post!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mehlosTT
I know_ a late post reply.
That was an excellent post with step by step photos on swap of a rear bar. As a result I will now be sure to get an A8L with Sport package for my first Audi! Wow, and I thought wrenching on a 3000GT Vr4 was a pain for some ten years?
Excellent and thorough write up. You should be paid for that post!
Thanks. And several years later, still highly recommend it. Especially the rear bar, though the front one remains quite easy to do.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I came across the rear roll bar off an S8 that had some front end damage the other day, and I planned on having it installed by my shop.

Mine is missing all the bushings though, I only have the bar itself - anyone happen to have a part number for the bushings? And is there anything else I need?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2020, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, @MP4.2+6.0 . This helped me with my install.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I know I'm digging into a VERY old thread here but is there any chance you've got those original pictures saved anywhere? Looks like the embeds did not stay over time.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fouraquest
I know I'm digging into a VERY old thread here but is there any chance you've got those original pictures saved anywhere? Looks like the embeds did not stay over time.
All the pics I have from an old folder. I didn't read the old post to try to match up, so you will have to sort which one relates to some part of the text. AW lost the pics years ago in one of their updates to site.

Quick Reply: S8 Roll Bar Mod, Part 1--rear: backgrounder & step by step of how to really do it (non-Bentley!)