A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 started running like crap.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will do.

Waiting on parts to arive. I am kind of sceptial about spark plugs that all of a sudden all 3 went out. I hope so, but I think I have to bite the bullet and preform carbon cleaning in 20 degrees weathere.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine this summer not long after buying the car, its time consuming but not difficult at all.
I am sure you have looked into it, if I can offer some advice having done it is, replace the oil filter O rings whilst your at it. They consistently fail and cause oil leaks and only cost a few $, but a PITA to replace as you have to remove the intake manifold. if your doing a carbon clean its another 5 minutes work. And if your going to keep the car, possibly look at the valve cover gaskets, again easier to do with the IM parts off and known to fail.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by d6lc
I did mine this summer not long after buying the car, its time consuming but not difficult at all.
I am sure you have looked into it, if I can offer some advice having done it is, replace the oil filter O rings whilst your at it. They consistently fail and cause oil leaks and only cost a few $, but a PITA to replace as you have to remove the intake manifold. if your doing a carbon clean its another 5 minutes work. And if your going to keep the car, possibly look at the valve cover gaskets, again easier to do with the IM parts off and known to fail.
I don't know how much different it would be, but I just did that seal and carbon cleaning on my wife 2010 A8 4.2l. Just got the thermostat in for the s8 man is it big. it looks a lot smaller on the pictures.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Not plugs
Not coils
Not carbon

Rule out Fuel supply issue.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had multiple misfires always on the same cylinders on my '08 S8, Replaced all coil packs as they are known to fail + spark plugs and noticed oil in the plug tubes comming from valve cover gaskets so replaced them at the same time. Been running smooth ever since.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 90SQ
Had multiple misfires always on the same cylinders on my '08 S8, Replaced all coil packs as they are known to fail + spark plugs and noticed oil in the plug tubes comming from valve cover gaskets so replaced them at the same time. Been running smooth ever since.
I'm thinking this also. Had similar issues with my Q5.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulW
I'm thinking this also. Had similar issues with my Q5.
Repeatable misfire ( & under load ) sure - coil pack. Just did one in our Volvo a few years ago.
The likely thing that will create a random/moving misfire is combustion issues (fuel/air mix). Fuel filter restriction is a prime example of that. Or O2 trim
Old 12-20-2017, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Decided to do some investigating today before I get new spark plugs. So I have misfire on cylinder 1, 2 and 6. My first step was to switch coil packs with cylinder 3 and 4 that I know work, no change still misfire. Then I switched spark plugs, still cylinder 1 and 2 misfire. I think I have no choice but to do carbon cleaning. From reading around, some people have mentioned about clogged injectors. When I puled the spark plugs cylinder 1 spark plug had some fuel on it, number 2 was dry. What do you guys think? Thanks
Old 12-20-2017, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only thing that's stange is that you should'nt have gas on your spark plug if it's working, should be dry as it fired and burnt the fuel. So might be plug #1 is not working or #2 injector is at fault...considering the work i'd go with spark plugs before replacing injectors,

MP am i making any sense?!?

I had the same problem on my '08 S8 and decide to replace all spark plugs + coils and it's now running better than ever...
Old 12-20-2017, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 90SQ
Only thing that's stange is that you should'nt have gas on your spark plug if it's working, should be dry as it fired and burnt the fuel. So might be plug #1 is not working or #2 injector is at fault...considering the work i'd go with spark plugs before replacing injectors,

MP am i making any sense?!?

I had the same problem on my '08 S8 and decide to replace all spark plugs + coils and it's now running better than ever...

but i switched the plugs and still the same misfire on cylinder number 1. If it was the plug cylinder 3 would have misfire.

Quick Reply: S8 started running like crap.