A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8/W12 Coolant Reservoir Removal

Old 01-17-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S8/W12 Coolant Reservoir Removal

I'm in the midst of replacing my front struts and one of the bolts securing the driver side strut mount is under the coolant reservoir and housing.

The W12 and S8 coolant reservoir is quite different from the 4.2L

I've read a few posts from @MP4.2+6.0 that it is a tight fit and that it is to be removed as the entire assembly (housing and reservoir) but regardless of how hard I pull up or pry, I can't seem to free it. There does seem to be a retention tab that is directly under the wiper shroud but that doesn't seem to be interfering yet. I assume there are some grommets holding the housing in from the bottom? Are there no bolts or nuts to remove?

In hopes of jogging someone's memory that has done this before, I have attached two pictures:
1) A view from the top with the nuts securing the housing removed and
2) A view from inside the wheel well with the fender lining removed and the coolant sensor and coolant feed hose disconnected.

Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails S8/W12 Coolant Reservoir Removal-img_7782.jpg   S8/W12 Coolant Reservoir Removal-img_7787.jpg  

Last edited by Triad.:; 01-17-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

This has been a lot of years now, but yes on W12 the black plastic housing you see around the reservoir had to come out with it. Only with it out of car were the two separated--if that was the repair.

The one strut I lost was passenger side, so I have not had to pull bottle again in any recent timeframe. I don't remember anything super hidden, though of course move bottle around as much as you can inside of the black housing to check. Bentley is where I would have looked originally; you can also look at an EKTA parts diagram, which sometimes helps w/ figuring out where stubborn fasteners are.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well I have no idea how to get it out or maybe I didn't eat my spinach today but I ended up just jamming a crowbar under the housing and lifting it out of the way enough to get at the suspension bolt.
Attached Thumbnails S8/W12 Coolant Reservoir Removal-img_7800.jpg  
Old 01-20-2017, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What are you going to do when the tank fails?
Old 01-20-2017, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by richard-tx
What are you going to do when the tank fails?
If it has already failed then I'll pry harder because I'd be less concerned about breaking something already broken. Hopefully if/when that happens I can then see what is keeping this doggone thing in so tight.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did you disconnect the hose at the bottom of the tank? You mentioned the sensor and a "feed hose" but didn't mention the other hose.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by richard-tx
Did you disconnect the hose at the bottom of the tank? You mentioned the sensor and a "feed hose" but didn't mention the other hose.
I believe so. Are you referring to the connection in the second photo I posted?

The only other hose I see is the overflow hose up top. To my knowledge there are only two hoses that connect to the reservoir.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I see it now. You have everything disconnected that I know of. I would stop in to my local dealer and talk to a tech.

It almost looks like it is glued in place.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an old thread but just to confirm that at least in 07 S8 you cannot remove the reservoir housing before taking out the reservoir itself. There is one nut holding the housing under the reservoir and it can not be seen unless the reservoir is lifted out. Just replaced mine, had a small leak at the seam.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Timo K.
This is an old thread but just to confirm that at least in 07 S8 you cannot remove the reservoir housing before taking out the reservoir itself. There is one nut holding the housing under the reservoir and it can not be seen unless the reservoir is lifted out. Just replaced mine, had a small leak at the seam.
I appreciate you posting. That actually helps explain a lot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S8/W12 Coolant Reservoir Removal