A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Satellite Radio

My satellite radio signal is now intermittent - it's there for a few seconds, then gone, then back...

I went through a car wash this summer (something I rarely do) and the air dryers vibrated the roof panel. I'm wondering if the connection to the receiver is loose (if that's even possible). Anyone have experience accessing the receiver?
Old 12-05-2018, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 05 did not come with Sat radio but I added it, it did not work when I installed it. I also had Navigation satellite issues. My Navigation / XM receiver issues were caused by the roof antenna being extremely corroded (Both XM and Sat). The roof antenna has 2 antennas in it (4 connectors). 1 set for sat radio and 1 set for Navigation. The connections are in the roof panel above the seat head rests, then it heads to the receiver unit. Likely not loose there, but the water could have gotten under the shark fin and caused damage.

First thing I would check is in the MMI hidden menu the number of receivers seen by the SDAR unit when you are having the issues. Otherwise might need a new roof mounted sat unit. Good news is your cover can be swapped to any other one so you don't have to purchase a silver one.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cu52
My 05 did not come with Sat radio but I added it, it did not work when I installed it. I also had Navigation satellite issues. My Navigation / XM receiver issues were caused by the roof antenna being extremely corroded (Both XM and Sat). The roof antenna has 2 antennas in it (4 connectors). 1 set for sat radio and 1 set for Navigation. The connections are in the roof panel above the seat head rests, then it heads to the receiver unit. Likely not loose there, but the water could have gotten under the shark fin and caused damage.

First thing I would check is in the MMI hidden menu the number of receivers seen by the SDAR unit when you are having the issues. Otherwise might need a new roof mounted sat unit. Good news is your cover can be swapped to any other one so you don't have to purchase a silver one.
I appreciate the reply. My navigation works great, btw. My real question is how do I access the antenna connections. It looks like there is a separate panel above the rear headrests. Does that just pull out?
Old 12-10-2018, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enGage
I appreciate the reply. My navigation works great, btw. My real question is how do I access the antenna connections. It looks like there is a separate panel above the rear headrests. Does that just pull out?
Yes the panel at the rear window does pull out. Just pull gently, I did it with a slim pry bar / scraper with blue tape on it to pop the connectors. Did break 1 though. That will get you access to the connections. May just have an issue with the XM part of the antenna since it has both built into it.