A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple hood (bonnet) maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Simple hood (bonnet) maintenance

They actually have trunk hinges on list for lubrication at service intervals, but not hood mechanicals AFAIK. I do it periodically anyway, even with a "California" car. Given recent spate of posts I did my 2 minute preemptive strike. ...Easier than the compressor relay I still have on standby for next under dash dive; I'll spray the handle end then as well when I can be careful with the carpeting. Definitely not having a good day if either crap out.

FWIW, I've also played with the 4 rubber bungs/stops on the leading edge of the hood to get the right mix of "pop" and snugness and fit/height at side fender seams, but not so tight as to make handle operation start to get balky/stiff/hard.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-29-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great idea

I just did this last week. I must say, I only have to pull about half as hard now before it pops open. It's also a good idea to spray the cable wherever there is an opening in the sheathing. In salty areas the cables oxidize, expand, and cause excessive friction or even seizing.

I swear by this lubricant. It sprays on liquid, immediately foams to cause a capillary action, and then gels up and stays there until you physically remove it. It doesn't wash out.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Definately worth doing

I did this today with some spray lube. Sprayed all the cable entry points and the mechanisms on the latches, and also popped open the cable splitter and sprayed the cable entry points in there too. Surprisingly the mechanism requires much less force to operate now. Hopefully this will prevent the serious PITA created by one of the cables snapping.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by GradecEngineering
...I swear by this lubricant. It sprays on liquid, immediately foams to cause a capillary action, and then gels up and stays there until you physically remove it. It doesn't wash out.
HHS-K really IS da bomb! Comes out like water, instantly gets into the joint and turns into a remarkably durable gel. When I sold Industrial supplies for a living, any customer to whom I gave a sample bought at least a case, and it ain't cheap. $20/can, 12/case; they are oversized cans though. I'm doing my trunk hinges right now - actually cleaned the heck out of them w/detailing spray and a baby toothbrush, waiting for the sun to dry them so the HHS can sink in when I hit 'em with it.

Most Wurth products are great, but hard to find! I had to order direct (since I no longer have an account w/them) and $150 minimum, IIRC. That's a pretty ood size order. They do give 25% discount and you can mix-n-match.

Do NOT buy their "Cockpit Cleaner", though. It will strip the velvety layer right off switches, door handles, etc.. Whoever designed that formula should be shot!

I have a stuck hood latch (not latching, thank God) so I dredged up this old thread to see common fail modes/points.

Tom