A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single Brake is Shot

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Single Brake is Shot

I had a weird scenario come up today. I drove to get my state inspection sticker, and we noticed that my passenger side rear brake pad was worn all the way down. Not only that, but the rotor went with it. Driving home with the music off, I could hear the pads sticking to the rotor. All the other ones were fine, and were replaced not even 5,000 miles ago.

Got home, and tore everything down. I can't for the life of me figure out why just one side was sticking. It was fine the last time I checked a few days ago. The parking brake works, caliper does not appear to be sticking ( not weird smells, leaking fluid, pulling to one side, and it compressed just fine with reassembly), pins were all lubed up and moved, brake fluid is at a good level (could use a change soon).

I know it's hard to tell from the pictures, but any ideas what could have caused this? I ordered a new rotor and rear pads, so this will be taken care of tomorrow at least.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

If it isn't a stick caliper, my only explanation is someone forgot to change both sides doing brakes last time.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
If it isn't a stick caliper, my only explanation is someone forgot to change both sides doing brakes last time.
I did all of the pads/rotors at the same time, so I know those were done. Is there another way to test the caliper to see if it's sticking? I might just replace it anyways to be 100% sure.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

I had this on my C5 4.2, which has virtually the same rear calipers Audi has used like forever, other than the rear parking brake motor add on. When I stopped for gas one day, I smelled burning brakes basically. Then I realized the caliper right below me was really hot. It had likewise quickly toasted the pad. Brake dust galore too.

The fix is outright caliper replace. It just locks up like that. Technically I suspect what happens is the piston gets worn inside the cylinder bore and then it ***** to one side and jams. You can get caliper rebuild kits, but very hard to find parts at piston level any more. Easiest is just buy one used on eBay that looks decent and as recent year and low miles as possible. Bolt on, bleed system, replace pads and rotor (or get resurfaced if pretty fresh) and good to go. Truth be told, if I catch it early like this and car is older, I just put the pads in there and let the pad wear rotor down pretty flat again. I would only consider it (one side only) if you use the identical pads you know personally from doing the other side and it was in recent timeframe.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-28-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I had this on my C5 4.2, which has virtually the same rear calipers Audi has used like forever, other than the rear parking brake motor add on. When I stopped for gas one day, I smelled burning brakes basically. Then I realized the caliper right below me was really hot. It had likewise quickly toasted the pad. Brake dust galore too.

The fix is outright caliper replace. It just locks up like that. Technically I suspect what happens is the piston gets worn inside the cylinder bore and then it ***** to one side and jams. You can get caliper rebuild kits, but very hard to find parts at piston level any more. Easiest is just buy one used on eBay that looks decent and as recent year and low miles as possible. Bolt on, bleed system, replace pads and rotor (or get resurfaced if pretty fresh) and good to go. Truth be told, if I catch it early like this and car is older, I just put the pads in there and let the pad wear rotor down pretty flat again. I would only consider it (one side only) if you use the identical pads you know personally from doing the other side and it was in recent timeframe.
I was hoping it wouldn't be, but used calipers are definitely cheaper than brand new. Slim pickings on eBay, so I'm going to check the junkyards around here (which is highly unlikely). The calipers on Rockauto are pretty cheap with a core return, but I'm guessing this is a case (per usual with these cars) where OEM is best. After examining the rotor, I think I can get away with having it resurfaced. The grooves from the pads really aren't too deep, but I'll let the shop be the final judge of that.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MainelyA8
I was hoping it wouldn't be, but used calipers are definitely cheaper than brand new. Slim pickings on eBay, so I'm going to check the junkyards around here (which is highly unlikely). The calipers on Rockauto are pretty cheap with a core return, but I'm guessing this is a case (per usual with these cars) where OEM is best. After examining the rotor, I think I can get away with having it resurfaced. The grooves from the pads really aren't too deep, but I'll let the shop be the final judge of that.
Maybe call Skokan in NY too. The biggest Audi specialized yard, sort of pre web and I don't think they list on eBay. You can also use car-part/com for a junkyard on line search. How I found a specific cylinder head for my C5 4.2- and a specific side of motor piston--seriously needle in haystack stuff.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe call Skokan in NY too. The biggest Audi specialized yard, sort of pre web and I don't think they list on eBay. You can also use car-part/com for a junkyard on line search. How I found a specific cylinder head for my C5 4.2- and a specific side of motor piston--seriously needle in haystack stuff.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Skokan. Thanks for the reminder. For the EPB, that just bolts onto the caliper, right? Just trying to think ahead if I am able to find a caliper without the EPB.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Skokan. Thanks for the reminder. For the EPB, that just bolts onto the caliper, right? Just trying to think ahead if I am able to find a caliper without the EPB.
Never had to work on parking brake, but yes that is my understanding too. If Shokan no go or too pricy, try car-part. Legit site out there for many years now and can often find multiple underlying junkyards w/ part and shop prices, years, miles, condition, etc. The yards have no web presence really, but via that site show a lot of inventory.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Never had to work on parking brake, but yes that is my understanding too. If Shokan no go or too pricy, try car-part. Legit site out there for many years now and can often find multiple underlying junkyards w/ part and shop prices, years, miles, condition, etc. The yards have no web presence really, but via that site show a lot of inventory.
Sent a parts request via their website to Shokan. I'll follow up with a phone call tomorrow. Car-Part was a bust unfortunately; not many of these cars on the road (or junkyard) up this way.

I found one on eBay, but the description states that it fits 2004-2009 A8 without the EPB. I thought that the EPB was standard across the board? I sent a message trying to clarify that the seller meant it just didn't come with the motor, which would be fine. I'll pick that up if I can move my motor over to it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/04-09-Audi-...M/223394589803
Old 03-29-2019, 12:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sent a parts request via their website to Shokan. I'll follow up with a phone call tomorrow. Car-Part was a bust unfortunately; not many of these cars on the road (or junkyard) up this way.

I found one on eBay, but the description states that it fits 2004-2009 A8 without the EPB. I thought that the EPB was standard across the board? I sent a message trying to clarify that the seller meant it just didn't come with the motor, which would be fine. I'll pick that up if I can move my motor over to it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/04-09-Audi-...M/223394589803
Correct, all D3's have EPB. D2's were old cable type I think, like my C5 was.

Quick Reply: Single Brake is Shot