A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So outside of fuel is running a D3 S8 that much different than a A8?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So outside of fuel is running a D3 S8 that much different than a A8?

Some background, I live in MN and I’m looking for a daily driver, something that can cope with our bad roads without being uncomfortable yet something that isn’t boring. I have had a lot of cars including a 911, E39 M5, S4 V8 and a C5 4.2 to name a few of my more recent cars, I always buy used and enjoy the depreciation hit that the first buyers suffer with the understanding that I will be repairing/maintaining an older car.

I don’t want to spend more than $15k so accept that I’m looking at 06-08 MY, 100k+ mile cars. I like the A8 from the comfort aspect and would want a car with ventilated seats for the hot summers we have here, and there seems to be a few cars for sale around $10k in decent shape. But I have recently driven a S8 and obviously like the power and they are getting into the $15k region with relatively basic specs.

Looking into them there doesn’t seem to be any nightmares with high miles, there is the risk of suspension issues, but it seems the same for both. And the FSI’s have the carbon build up, but no timing belt like my C5. I also had a quick look at maintenance (I would DIY pretty much everything) and S8 parts are not that bad for consumables vs the A8.

So I just wanted to check if I am missing something? So its either that terrific engine and a $15k S8 or spend $10k and get a chilled backside in the summer with a slightly slower experience.

Anyone own a S8 and for day to day driving think an A8 would have been a better fit, or conversely own an A8 and have S8 envy?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a daily the A8L (my DD) is lovely. Plenty of power, LOTS of room. I have never been in a situation where I thought mine didn't have enough power.

Also, as a DD, mileage and dependability will be important. I get 26 average MPG in my commute. I don't think I'd get anywhere near that with an S8. Although that V-10......

Also, I had an E39 540i before moving to the A8. That was hands down the best car I've ever owned. So- if you want to match the M5 for fun, you'll want the S8.

Last edited by Doc_A8; 08-02-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank Doc, my heart says go for the S8. My head says the A8 is more than fast enough for 99.99% of all the driving I would every do. + be more comfortable when its 90F here in summer and -30F in winter!
Old 08-02-2017, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The fuel for the cars is the same. Premium only.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

For OP, since you and I both had a C5 4.2, the D3 4.2 in FSI will feel more powerful and quieter, both subjectively and by the stats. Port will also feel somewhat more powerful, but a shade less than FSI. And yes, having done belts about half a dozen times on C3, 4 and 5's,I really can't say I miss that drill, expense and nagging doubts if you don't always do the whole 9 yards of parts. Besides the HP difference, the D3 6 speed AT helps quite a bit. Unlike the piece o junk 5 speed where the question was when it would break, not whether, the 6 speed is a breath of fresh air. Drove my A6 4.2 to 100K before it went to family, so knew it just as well as the 100K I put on W12. If you get paddles, D3 will actually shift reasonably fast, instead of the one-one thousand, two one thousand of the C5 with the gated shifter only. Weight of the two is also quite similar (steel smaller vs. aluminum bigger), plus some parts that went aluminum in rear suspension and elsewhere that keeps it very close. Same weight, another gear, more HP, and it all comes together. Add a bunch of weight for S8 (or yet more for W12).

Owning a D4 S8 and having had the D3 W12 and liking both, I dunno but my instinct is actually likely 4.2 as these age and at more miles. No doubt lots of fun and power and sound, but at margin if reliability and cost of ownership comes in like I read into your original post, my instinct would be go there. There is some factoring of reading thousands of posts across different motors too and the impressions left in total--too hard to summarize in a sentence or two, but that is what I sense and have been telling others when I hear V10 S8 or S6 relative to 4.2 in various B, C and D bodies. Use some of the dollars saved w/ V8 for a loaded one, later year and lower miles. Get to facelift with 2008 if it pencils and you find the right one. Realize too there are SWB and LWB 4.2's depending on year IIRC, so you could go either way there. S8 would be SWB only. Your car history sounds more SWB to me, but if you have older kids or lots of friends, hard to beat back seat superb luxo barge. I liked a lot of things about W12 and LWB, but ultimately as empty nester decided SWB was plenty and still has good room for the uncommon use it even gets.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-02-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have never bought a car for reliability or economy. If I can afford it and I like it, I buy it no matter the pain and suffering that it puts me through. To me since I spend a lot of time in my car (about 36K to 40K per year) I want something that will have passion, that will make me smile and that I would turn around to look at every time I park it. This is the reason why I could never own a Toyota or a Honda, to me they are more like appliances than automobiles. I own a D3 2007 S8 and have driven a D3 A8......I would buy the S8 hands down.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mAgnum8
I have never bought a car for reliability or economy. If I can afford it and I like it, I buy it no matter the pain and suffering that it puts me through. To me since I spend a lot of time in my car (about 36K to 40K per year) I want something that will have passion, that will make me smile and that I would turn around to look at every time I park it. This is the reason why I could never own a Toyota or a Honda, to me they are more like appliances than automobiles. I own a D3 2007 S8 and have driven a D3 A8......I would buy the S8 hands down.
perfect response i agree 100%
Old 08-04-2017, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this man is my twin.
I too buy into the experience 100% whatever associated maintenance and unexpected costs there may be, I will take care of them.
we too were hinking of it, the mileage difference on a yearly basis will hardly be noticeable. Highway 21-22mpg with the s8 if you keep it at 70. Say the A8 gets 26, 4mpg difference we do approx 30k miles a year, thats approx 500-600$ more in fuel a year...dont matter to me when you are driving these types of cars. Clearly it isnt a TDi or prius.
The v10 is ok, but i do wish it had more power. The sound is incredible and my mpg is pretty terrible because of it. But I just dont care and roll the windows down, floor the pedal.

that comment of spending alot of time in your car is my reasoning for having the cars I have. what is the point of beating yourself up in a little econobox car when you spend over an hour per day in it and drive long road trips. Drive something you LIKE, being comfortable, or cool/sporty whatever invokes some passion and happiness.

Originally Posted by mAgnum8
Old 08-04-2017, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm selling my 625hp Mercedes for $14.9k, with low miles. You should buy that, considering you seem to be a fearless buyer.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, not terribly impressed with 12-13mpg average fuel consumption. I'm typically driving back roads as a daily commute with my S8. Highway driving can get you low 20's mpg. As with any car that is aging it will have suspension issues that need to be corrected every now and again. Most repairs can be done by yourself, but sometimes you need the dealership or other trusting local shop. I'm sure you have looked at these models and have compared options between A8, A8L W12 and S8. My wife originally asked "why do you need a V10, why do you need AWD?" Well, why not?
Good luck with your search!

Quick Reply: So outside of fuel is running a D3 S8 that much different than a A8?