A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spacers and 66.7 mm wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spacers and 66.7 mm wheels

This might be painfully obvious to some but apparently I am having a mental block on how the fitment works.

I bought 12 mm spacers with the 57.1 mm center and they have the raised collar that is 57.1 also. Installed the spacer between the wheel with a hub centric ring on the outside of the spacer to the wheel which has a 66.67 mm hub center. I have managed to break the collars off of the rear spacers!! They started to vibrate badly! The fronts I have not taken off yet because I know I need the spacers to even run the wheels so at this point I have to leave them on the car and deal with a bit of vibration until I can get this sorted out.

I really only need 5 mm spacer to clear the front calipers ('07 S8), but these spacers do not have a raised collar.

I need someone to fill me in on exactly what kind of spacers/hubcentric rings I need in order to get 5 mm of clearance and no vibration!

HELP!

Regards, Joe
Old 05-28-2018, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YESHONEY
This might be painfully obvious to some but apparently I am having a mental block on how the fitment works.

I bought 12 mm spacers with the 57.1 mm center and they have the raised collar that is 57.1 also. Installed the spacer between the wheel with a hub centric ring on the outside of the spacer to the wheel which has a 66.67 mm hub center. I have managed to break the collars off of the rear spacers!! They started to vibrate badly! The fronts I have not taken off yet because I know I need the spacers to even run the wheels so at this point I have to leave them on the car and deal with a bit of vibration until I can get this sorted out.

I really only need 5 mm spacer to clear the front calipers ('07 S8), but these spacers do not have a raised collar.

I need someone to fill me in on exactly what kind of spacers/hubcentric rings I need in order to get 5 mm of clearance and no vibration!

HELP!

Regards, Joe
Last I looked into it, 10 mm was the thinnest I could find with hubcentric rings and that was from a brand I did not recognize. I run H&R and the thinnest spacer they make with hubcentric rings is 12 mm.

5 mm seems infeasible to include a hubcentric ring without using some exotic materials and even then it doesn't seem you could fit a spec ring into that design.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I don't really know what you're trying to achieve but I used the $8 centric hub and mine drives like original. I did try aluminum ones, and the best were plastic.
http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/insta...-1mm-hubs.html
Cheers,
Louis
Old 05-28-2018, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Let me break this down with the following:

I am trying to put wheels with 66.67 MM hub holes on my S8 with 57.1 hubs.

I need a min of 5 MM in the front. I don't need spacers in the back, but for consistency and tracking would like to put whatever I put in the front to be in the back.

I bought 12 MM spacers that were 57.1 on the inside and 57.1 collar. Put the hub centric ring in the wheel they reduces 66.67 to 57.1 to fit on collar part of spacer. Broke at least two (both rear collars). Haven't taken the from apart yet, but I assume they will be broken as well. This I know because of the vibration I experienced and the sound that came from the rear after driving them. Yes all lug bolts were tightened to 95 ft lbs.

My question is do I need to buy 66.67 collared spacers and place the hub centric adapter behind the spacer instead of in the wheel?

If that still isn't clear please ask me again and I will take pics.

BTW I used the delrin plastic adapters from ECS.

Thanks, Joe
Old 05-28-2018, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

You have done it the right way so I am not sure why the 57.1 collar broke. What I have done is use the 57.1 to 66.56mm ring on the hub and use 66.56mm spacers. I have 12mm spaces with a "collar" on the rear and 3mm spacer with no collar on the front. No issues with breaking.

You really should have no issues either way unless use used some inferior or defective parts. The collar guides and centers the wheel but once the wheel is tightened, there should be no more pressure on the collars.\

Not sure if its a typo but the larger hub diameter is usually a 66.56mm wheels for Audi and Mercedes.

Last edited by TSHong; 05-28-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

My question is do I need to buy 66.67 collared spacers and place the hub centric adapter behind the spacer instead of in the wheel?
BTW I used the delrin plastic adapters from ECS.

Thanks, Joe
Yes, I would use the larger diameter spacers and put the hubcentric ring behind them. I would also find the metal concentric ring type. Plus, if you ever go to a later Audi--beyond the TT/A3s that have the "old" hub size still--the 66+ mm wheels and/or spacers can likely be reused

D3 spacers FWIW: I would do 12mm on front, assuming OE 20 x 9 ET46 wheels and stock 265 S8 tire size, and 20 on rear for clean but meaty look. My W12 flavor on same OE wheel spec and 275/35-20 W12 size. Could push upward one size on 265's, but if 275's you would want to stop by the 12/20's.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-28-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Wheels and Tires

Thanks for the help everyone!

My wheels are 20 x 9 Veemann with ET 35 mm. 12 mm is OK, 10 mm was OK too.

If I go with 5 mm there are no collars on this spacers, so does that mean the fact the hub centric rings are taller than 5 mm leaves enough sticking out to center the wheel on if placed behind the spacer?

This should be easy, but it is not turning out that way, sheesh!

Joe

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes, I would use the larger diameter spacers and put the hubcentric ring behind them. I would also find the metal concentric ring type. Plus, if you ever go to a later Audi--beyond the TT/A3s that have the "old" hub size still--the 66+ mm wheels and/or spacers can likely be reused

D3 spacers FWIW: I would do 12mm on front, assuming OE 20 x 9 ET46 wheels and stock 265 S8 tire size, and 20 on rear for clean but meaty look. My W12 flavor on same OE wheel spec and 275/35-20 W12 size. Could push upward one size on 265's, but if 275's you would want to stop by the 12/20's.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I go with 5 mm there are no collars on this spacers, so does that mean the fact the hub centric rings are taller than 5 mm leaves enough sticking out to center the wheel on if placed behind the spacer?

Joe
I’ve run a similar setup, but I needed to sand down the back of the spacer to fit properly so it sat flush with the back of the wheel, and I also had to take a bit of material off the outside edge of the spacer to make them fit the centerbore, so maybe you need to do similar?
Old 05-28-2018, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Do you need spacers to clear the brakes on the front? I have also run 20x9 35mm ET and they fit very well in the front without spacers in my opinion.

I also forgot to mention that I would recommend aluminum rings. Plastic ones deforn after use from my experience.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Joe
I don't know exactly how they would interface here (spacer to hubcentric ring), but a 5mm spacer is not going to be hubcentric. Thee is simply not enough purchase area in the angle cut to do it. In H&R for example, they have to be at least 12mm to be hubcentric, and then only if it is the part number with it. For theirs, consistently hubcentric for any fitment only starts at 15mm; the 12mm hubcentrics are machined a little shallower on theirs. If you are running ET35, honestly I would run no spacers in front and then the 12mm in the back. Front track on almost all Audi's is wider than the rear BTW if you look at the factory specs carefully. I haven't noticed any real handling difference wherever the spacers are, so I view them as more for looks than practicality.

Quick Reply: Spacers and 66.7 mm wheels