A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Cam Plug change

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Cam Plug change

Damn, found the LHS rear cam plug is leaking on my A8 4.2 BFM engine.

Did some search but wasn't able to get steps to replace it.

Just found a tube of Pattex repair express power putty handy. Wondering if I do a clean up around the area and apply some putty to 'seal' the side of the cam plug?

Fix adhesive - Pattex

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2017, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Or how about gasket glue/sealant? If it can help a bit.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I would just replace it.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
I would just replace it.
Do you know is it just pry out and insert a new one in without removing other parts?

I mean I don't want to break it then find out can't remove the plug without removing other parts such as valve cover, etc.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes and no. The caps simply pry out and then you push the new ones in. I'm not sure what you'll have to remove to access them.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tomwu
Do you know is it just pry out and insert a new one in without removing other parts?

I mean I don't want to break it then find out can't remove the plug without removing other parts such as valve cover, etc.

Thanks.
I replaced the driver side plug which gives you more room than passenger. I made a tool with a point and hammered it through the top of the plug...then pried it out.
To replace, it's tricky, but you may be able to get small hands down there to push it in. Again, i used a homemade tool with a curve to get leverage off the firewall to get it fully inserted.

Also, from reading about these, do not put grease or sealant. The plugs are tight enough to block leakage.

FWIW, i bought the plugs on amazon for cheap.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Aceler8!

Will try that. Also I suspect it could be the issue with some other plugs missing nearby... Need to get a flap mirror to check.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Aceler8
I replaced the driver side plug which gives you more room than passenger. I made a tool with a point and hammered it through the top of the plug...then pried it out.
To replace, it's tricky, but you may be able to get small hands down there to push it in. Again, i used a homemade tool with a curve to get leverage off the firewall to get it fully inserted.

Also, from reading about these, do not put grease or sealant. The plugs are tight enough to block leakage.

FWIW, i bought the plugs on amazon for cheap.
Hi Aceler8,
I pried the plug out and tried to insert the new one. Even tried to bend a copper hose but it's not strong enough. after hours effort, the new plug is half way in however it seems not leaking from this side any more. I might just leave it as is until it leaks again... Do you still have the tool you made if handy to take a photo?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

sorry, but i don't have the tool at my house...i may be able to get a pic in the next few days.

Think it was made from a tool used to install carpet or hardwood floors...kind of like a short, but wide crow bar.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sonething like this?
It's a tool to lay laminated flooring.

Quick Reply: Rear Cam Plug change