A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spontaneous MMI reboot....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spontaneous MMI reboot....

Since Friday, my MMI has spontaneously rebooted itself twice. Anyone else having this problem? I think A64.2wasme posted something earlier - any more repeat performances from your MMI? I'm not terribly concerned, as my car will be parked for the next 3 or 4 weeks, but I would like to hear if anyone has had their software updated and then returned to the dealer for similar issues.

Just wondering...
Old 11-01-2004, 08:51 PM

Default Yep...

Upgraded mine for the XM install (which the dealer couldn't do b/c they forgot to order the mounting bracket ). Since then I've had about 5-6 spontaneous reboots and control lock-ups. Can't say I'm impressed. I'm hoping this will be cleared up when the XM is installed but that's probably just wishful thinking. One would think that Audi would be at least a little embarassed with this rankly amateurish performance...but I doubt they are.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update "accomplished" last week w/Sirius installation

and so far, no reboots.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Spontaneous MMI reboot....

I had one "BLACKSCREEN" on the way home from the dealer the same day I got the updgrade. No more since then. Although, one day the NAV seemed to lose my HOME ADDRESS data, but I seem to remember I hit couple buttons awfully fast when it did that and the screens seemed to get "behind the buttons" ( if that makes any sense ). Those 2 times, it cleared itself when I got home & turned it off and on, or at a stop light when I turned the ignition off & on.

Nothing though in 3 weeks. Knock on wood interior.....

Oh my drivers side, the window seems to NOT want to go up ( close ) everytime I want it to, on the day it rained and on another day I washed it. It seems to fix itself after it the car is totally dry. Luckily I park in garage at night and a parking garage at work. The part(replacement switch) is on order at the dealer.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My software was up-dated back in August...

So I was hoping, since I hadn't had any problems to date, my worries were over... guess not.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default No spont. reboot but screen problems came back...

It's been a few weeks since I last posted about my screen going black, scrambling, etc. The problem went away for a few weeks after some manipulation of the cable to the screen. A new cable was ordered but not installed as the problems had hibernated for awhile. It came back last week and the new cable was installed yesterday. I have an early '05 which came with the software upgrade and I ordered the XM option.

My dealer and my Audi Advocate (Mark K.) have been with me every step of the way and I have nothing but good to say about them. However, I completed a JD Power survey on my car yesterday and I let them know that Audi has dropped the ball on the MMI system quality.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Please let us know if the problem persists with the new cable.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 05 model came from the factory with the latest software and ..

I have experienced 3 spontaneous reboots to the system, the first after 350 miles, the next at about 500 and the most recent at about 1500 miles. Since then (2000 miles on) there have been no further problems but I am assuming it is only a matter of time
Old 11-02-2004, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default No more reboots so far, but the system has persisted in coming up with strange AM stations

I'm driving up to Bakersfield tomorrow, so I'll have some seat time to investigate this and the seat ventilation that keeps turning itself off on the passenger side.
The AM tuning and the slowing down of movement among different screens is concerning, but I'll wait a while to let it declare itself more fully before taking the car back in. I'm interested to hear of others' experience with this - may help when my guy tries to diagnose it.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default I seem to remember a "slow down" once when I was under a parking deck or

perhaps just backing out of my garage. Does the GP Sateliite Signal Strength (SSS),that interacts with location and NAV DVD's, etc, have anything to do with how it might effect the (MMI) screen interaction, especially whence movin in and out of certain MMI funtion/screens?

But remember I didn't notice any MMI slowness before upgrade.

Quick Reply: Spontaneous MMI reboot....