A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start/Stop Button Upgrade

Old 06-26-2014, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Unless the new button can start the car even with a dead battery :-)

Cheers and congrats,

Louis

PS: sometimes, I'm just too practical... it's boring.

LOL yes you are. The car is starting perfectly with no problems now and made a difference changing the battery serial number. I just decided to buy that start button which the OEM one I had is boring looking.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the same wood trim. Next month's projects are; getting the spare Smart key cut and programmed, and a new start button.
Mine did the no start again yesterday, pushed and lights lit up. Waited for it to start. Then pushed stop and then start and it fired right up. Hope it is just a worn start button.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k6blacka8
Well Gentlemen I finally did the upgrade. Before first pic and After second pic.
Looks great! Another thing to add to the list.

Did the purchase include both STOP and START buttons or just the START button?
Old 06-26-2014, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fez2013
Looks great! Another thing to add to the list.

Did the purchase include both STOP and START buttons or just the START button?

They both come in one unit together. I think its a good interior miscellaneous upgrade.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Panelhead
I have the same wood trim. Next month's projects are; getting the spare Smart key cut and programmed, and a new start button.
Mine did the no start again yesterday, pushed and lights lit up. Waited for it to start. Then pushed stop and then start and it fired right up. Hope it is just a worn start button.
My old start button still works excellent so I'll sell it to you if you really need it. Just pm me if you want to know more details about it.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I like the looks of the new one

My old start button still works excellent so I'll sell it to you if you really need it. Just pm me if you want to know more details about it.
I looked over my car on the way home. The ashtray has been replaced with the volume **** of the sub. There is no torqx head screw.
Do I just lift the trim off the MMI controls to get access the the start button?
Old 06-26-2014, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it really a coincidence? I went to Lowe's got in hit the start button and nothing. Radio comes on, AC running but doesn't start. Hit the start button a few times and nothing. Stop shuts everything off, start did nothing. I tried using the key and nothing for a few tries. After waiting a few minutes the key was able to start it. Could it be the switch or something else? Possibly the battery? Battery meter is at 100%. What do you guys think? I didn't get a chance to VAG it
Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts
Default Could be battery, but also try...

moving shifter around and repositioning foot on brake--might be an issue with the interlock system/switches. If it's the battery and you see anything else working, you usually get the stuff goes dim and/or starter clicks or makes some other noise type symptoms.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Is it supposed to be Silver? It does look black

LOL yes you are. The car is starting perfectly with no problems now and made a difference changing the battery serial number. I just decided to buy that start button which the OEM one I had is boring looking.
So they come in both silver and black?
Old 06-27-2014, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Mine is different

Originally Posted by Fez2013
Is it really a coincidence? I went to Lowe's got in hit the start button and nothing. Radio comes on, AC running but doesn't start. Hit the start button a few times and nothing. Stop shuts everything off, start did nothing. I tried using the key and nothing for a few tries. After waiting a few minutes the key was able to start it. Could it be the switch or something else? Possibly the battery? Battery meter is at 100%. What do you guys think? I didn't get a chance to VAG it
Mine does not start. But a second push fires it right off. But the lights and things power the first time.
The time delay for the stereo is already off. So the second push sometimes puts a nasty pop through the stereo. I have lost a tweeter already.
This is why I hit stop. This resets the time delay and mutes the audio. There is a large Memphis Audio amp in the rear deck. Replaces the factory amp.
You may want to replace the battery in your key. They can do weird things once low.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Start/Stop Button Upgrade