A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eyes on starter hot hell to get to it
Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 4RINGkingA8L
Eyes on starter hot hell to get to it
My earlier post:Engine must be supported at the rear. Audi sez to use top mount support bar and connect to rear engine eyelets. Most shops have car on houst and bring transmission jack up to support from the bottom. Subframe then gets unbolted/ removed (4 big bolts). Then you can get at it. This is a repair where the part and labor are about the same amount each so I paid to have it done.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mister bally u gave me the basics I needed to get the ball rolling thanks a bunch, I am so proud of myself first time under the. Hood for this starter and 48 hours later hahaha I got it man it was awesome to acheve this man let me tell u I was jumping ad running around when I took off that engine mount man hahahahahh it was sitting right there whooooaaa yeahhh thank man
Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

What I noticed was that three hex screws on the stablizer bar were missing ..weird also I noticed behind the strter while it was still bolted looked like fresh metal like a sawzaw ripped threw it ..the bolt 16 mm the one that's on the back of starter is a nightmare and since I had wood blocks under the tires on passenger side since I don't have jack stands or hardly any tools I needed the jack to hold the motor up used a 2 by 4 and sizzor jack for that but if I could have the front tire pass side off it might have been easyier to get to the back starter bolt .but funny thing was the starter seemed pulled forward a little when I was takin the front bolt off ... anyway what I wanted to say was I took off so meny things I didn't need to to get to this starter but leaarned a lot and I would seriously recommend like the guys told me get pros to do the job because unless u have the patiants I do and treat ur car like there'si no room for failure ur just gonna break something I treated this fix like I was a doctor everything was thriple checked and triple check again before anything was takin off and it took all dayy but nothing was broke damaged Scratched
Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Three questions ...the valve cover gaskets there pretty thick look pretty good can I reuse them..also the belt on the altinator the insides looked like spiderwebs small cracks is that normal wear or is it time to change just things I noticed and I wasn't sure about
Old 01-30-2013, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts
Default A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing...

Have a look at this internet legend:

http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...t=224101&pp=40

Not A8 related but illustrates nicely the results of a little bit of knowledge and a lot of bravery. f*ckwhittery of the highest order. I challenge you not to start yelling, shaking your head, and "facepalming" like a mad man whilst reading it.

I've got a horrid feeling about some of the things we're going to see posted in the future....just saying
Old 01-30-2013, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Starter out ..ok and I did some research before I went and got a new one ..there's a test u can do put power to the post and it worked like a charm made sure it was giving off enuff power so I put a piece of wood on the gear that pops out and it was like a saw did some more research and learned that if the starter isn't perfectly lined up it will give a clunk sound also when I took the starter off I noticed it wasn't all the wayy in but I didn't think much of it because I didn't know better well now I do and what happens is the gears pop out to fly wheel and if its not lined up it pushes away from the flywheel ..just to be safe I took starter to a rebuild shop they tested it looked at gears said perfctly fine ..checked fly wheel saw a little damage but not enuff to need a replacement ...
Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can I get some advice on putting starter back on the bolt in the back is a bit*h and I do beleave it sucks the starter in since the bolt never came down after I got the starter off leads me to beleave i need to get that one on all the way and then put the front bolt on I tryed swivel sockts everyything but can get a grip on the thing imtrying to accsess it from behind the wheel its so tight in there what tool do I need for this bolt
Old 10-09-2018, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4RINGkingA8L
Can I get some advice on putting starter back on the bolt in the back is a bit*h and I do beleave it sucks the starter in since the bolt never came down after I got the starter off leads me to beleave i need to get that one on all the way and then put the front bolt on I tryed swivel sockts everyything but can get a grip on the thing imtrying to accsess it from behind the wheel its so tight in there what tool do I need for this bolt
What did you end up doing to get that back bolt off and back on? I have everything removed to take my starter out but cannot get that bolt loose as there is no room to turn it with any tools.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Quick Reply: starter removal