AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   Starting issue (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/starting-issue-2960034/)

DML939 10-03-2018 11:17 AM

Starting issue

Hi, I have been searching these types of issues for awhile now and havent found a definitive answer yet. I recently bought a 2006 A8l with the 4,2l engine, it needs a repair to the front passenger shock and is not currently running but the price couldnt be beat as I could scrap it for what I paid. Anyways, the problem is it does not even crank at all. I am not sure if this is an electrical issue or a dead starter. The battery was bad so I went to audi and installed a new one last night and before you ask, no i have no coded it yet as i am waiting for the vagcom to come tomorrow. Even with the new battery I am getting the battery management warning and the mmi shows at around 10%. Is it possible that the mmi reading that low would prevent the car from cranking? and is that fix as simple as coding the new battery? I know the work involved in changing the starter so im hoping it is not the issue but i know it is possible. I have scanned the car and do get the "starter jammed or electrical issue" or whatever code and i also have seen something about the trunk antena or something when it comes to the immobilizer. Not too sure where that is or what to do with that. Is there anything else i should be checking before the starter or anyway to trouble shoot this myself?

Jack88 10-03-2018 02:54 PM

Start with coding the battery when you get the VCDS cable and check all of your fuses related to starting and engine management. From there, you will have a lot of stored codes from the dead battery, so don't panic when you do the scan. It isn't uncommon for a car with a particularly bad battery failure to have lingering issues until it's coded.

Mister Bally 10-03-2018 04:44 PM

My '04 has no issue cranking or starting with the indicator at 10% when the battery is charged. A simple re-code jumps the gauge to 100%.

It sounds like a bad starter. Fun to replace....

dangerdred 10-05-2018 11:08 AM

When you turn on the ignition, does everything else (lights, hazards, wipers, horn, etc) come on and work other than it not cranking when you turn the key all the way?

Not coding the new battery won't stop it starting.

DML939 10-05-2018 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by dangerdred (Post 25220245)
When you turn on the ignition, does everything else (lights, hazards, wipers, horn, etc) come on and work other than it not cranking when you turn the key all the way?

Not coding the new battery won't stop it starting.

ya I just check the relays on the passenger side under the carpet and they all click when the key is turned. We cannot however hear any clicking or noise from the starter at all.

DML939 10-05-2018 03:24 PM

What other fuses or relays do I need to check. I have checked both side panels all good. Anything else I need to check before I pull the starter?

DML939 10-11-2018 07:25 AM

Anyone know how to take the bolt that goes from the back of the motor to the starter off? Its the last thing i need to remove but i cant get any tool on there

Jack88 10-11-2018 03:33 PM

You probably don't have the right tool or something else has to come off. Without looking at it in person, it's hard to say. Not sure how many here have done that repair.

DML939 10-11-2018 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jack88 (Post 25222758)
You probably don't have the right tool or something else has to come off. Without looking at it in person, it's hard to say. Not sure how many here have done that repair.

ya outside of taking off the piece of exhaust pipe between the headers and flex pipe I dont know what to do. It's basically just as hard to get the exhaust piece out.

Shark_V8 10-11-2018 04:40 PM

The starter solenoid might be seized. When I was having starter jammed issues I was able to inject a lubricant to solve the problem, without removing the starter. That was 3 years ago, and it's worked flawless since. There are photos of the procedure on my twitter account. Drilled a small port-hole and injected the penetrant/LPS #2