A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel button not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel button not working

Hi all.

I just purchased a 2006 A8L so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the not too distant future as I'm learning about this car, and finding problems with it.

My first question that I have is on my steering wheel controls. One the left and right side the up/down wheel works in both directions, however, if I push the wheel in, it clicks, but nothing happens. Do I just have two up/down wheels with broken buttons?

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Pressing the wheel on the left will select the current item from the list shown on the DIS when you scroll up and down with the mentioned wheel. It will have no effect if the list is not shown on the DIS.
Pressing the wheel on the right should give you some audible information from the navigation system. If you didn't set a route, it should tell you 'navigation is not active'. I'm guessing that it should have no effect if you don't have navigation as an option.

There are little chances that both buttons are defective. These buttons are usually less used than the other ones (the keys next to the wheels) and if the keys are working, then the wheel buttons should be working, too. As you can see from the attached picture, the yellow button (corresponding to the wheel) seems tougher than the white one (corresponding to the key next to the wheel).
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel button not working-wheel-button.jpg  
Old 12-18-2017, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for the reply.

So I did some more testing and yes, it turns out the right one does work. If I push it, it give me the announcement about no route. But the left one certainly does nothing. I can wheel up and down to different selections, but certainly cannot select anything.

So... how difficult is it to replace that board. And how would I go about ordering a replacement?

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

The board doesn't represent a part on its own, so you will have to order the entire module (left multifunction keys). What you can replace is the button itself, but only if you have some skills on electronics.

However, if you are thinking to order the module, then replacing it is not that hard (it just slides out from left to right and then the new one may be slided in). The harder part is to remove all things that are in the way: airbag must be removed, and the surrounding chrome trim ('cover ring') on the steering wheel needs also to be removed, IIRC. Pay attention that this is not easy to remove as it's well fixed, and pulling it harder than it should may break it easily.

When you will reach to that module, you will have to disconnect the ribbon gray cable - it is connected on a big red connector. You can see in the first attached picture the connector (but that is the module for the right side, not the left). You can also see in the second picture the same connector on PCB (this picture is for the left module and yes, I know that the PCB doesn't resemble with the one I sent you in the first post, but don't worry, the module has actually two PCBs linked together by another ribbon, as you can see on the third picture - which is for the right side but the left side is almost the same - but with few electronics).

Here are the part numbers for the left MF keys module: 4E0951527 for 4 spokes steering wheels, and 4E0951527 for 3 spokes steering wheels.
If you break the cover ring, then its part number is: 4E0419689 for 4 spokes SW, and 4E0419689A for 3 spokes SW. But please double check all these with your dealer, as I think the information is not quite correct. I think that what they call '4 spokes' is actually for trapezoidal airbags, and '3 spokes' is actually for rounded airbags, but I may be wrong.

Still, before ordering a new module, please check the affected button with a simple method: using a multimeter, please check pins 5 and 1 (circled in yellow in the second picture) and see if they are shorted WHEN the button is pressed. If they are, then don't change that module because it's working fine. You may also check at the other end of the cable, to make sure no wire is interrupted.
To make sure you are doing the measurement properly, please also measure pins 6 and 5 (the one circled in red and the one next to it, circled in yellow) while pressing the other button ("MODE") on the module, that you know it works. If they aren't shorted when you press that button, then you are doing something wrong.

Good luck!

PS: there is also another method to check the functionality of that button, using VCDS. If you have the interface and know how to use it, please tell me so I will give you the necessary steps.
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel button not working-1-right-button-module.jpg   Steering wheel button not working-2-pin-measurement.jpg   Steering wheel button not working-3-right-pcbs.jpg