A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Off After Whacking Wheel Off Kerb

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Off After Whacking Wheel Off Kerb

Im gutted. The other morning on the way to my work in the snow, my car skidded as i went round a bend, i now know i should have been going slower but its too late now. I smacked my front right wheel off of the kerb, i thought it would be mangled but it just seems to be just the rim that is badly scuffed. I have a 5th alloy for a spare so i can always swap it over. My steering wheel is sitting at 11 o'clock going straight, it also feels very stiff. I know i need to get the 4 wheel alignment done but is there anything i should check, will alignment be suffice or is there a chance something could be damaged?
Old 12-12-2017, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by revelator1969
Im gutted. The other morning on the way to my work in the snow, my car skidded as i went round a bend, i now know i should have been going slower but its too late now. I smacked my front right wheel off of the kerb, i thought it would be mangled but it just seems to be just the rim that is badly scuffed. I have a 5th alloy for a spare so i can always swap it over. My steering wheel is sitting at 11 o'clock going straight, it also feels very stiff. I know i need to get the 4 wheel alignment done but is there anything i should check, will alignment be suffice or is there a chance something could be damaged?
Maybe a bent tie rod end? I wouldn't advise driving the car until you have it check, last thing you want is to be moving at a high speed and a tie rod fail. The suspension components aren't had to see. Put the car in jack mode and turn the wheel all the way to the left or right and inspect.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Take it to a good shop and they will tell you what is wrong. At this point, it could be anything but I would not drive it except to the repair shop.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jlbell
Maybe a bent tie rod end? I wouldn't advise driving the car until you have it check, last thing you want is to be moving at a high speed and a tie rod fail. The suspension components aren't had to see. Put the car in jack mode and turn the wheel all the way to the left or right and inspect.
Many thanks for your reply. That sounds like and easy enough check given the bad weather. Ill see what it looks like and report back.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Take it to a good shop and they will tell you what is wrong. Something is bent else the alignment would not be off. At this point, it could be anything but I would not drive it except to the repair shop.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by richard-tx
Take it to a good shop and they will tell you what is wrong. At this point, it could be anything but I would not drive it except to the repair shop.
Thanks for your reply. I will take a look and see if there is anything obvious. If it does need something replaced i will need to consider what kind of a place to take it to.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Bent tie rod. Not the end of the world, Revelator.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Bent tie rod. Not the end of the world, Revelator.
+1, this has been repeated because it is the most likely problem!
Old 12-13-2017, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Many thanks guys for all the replies. Today i check the run-out of the wheel rim and despite the great whack it must have got the rim is not running out which is good news, its just badly scuffed. I took the wheel off and i cant see anything wrong, the suspension arms all look strong enough and the tie rod looks fine. I put the wheel back on and i have booked a 4 wheel alignment for tomorrow with a place that uses the Hunter machine. I will ask the chap to have a look at my suspension anyway but i could not see anything wrong.

My steering is very very stiff and im assuming that is because the alignment is way out, does that sound feasible?
Old 12-13-2017, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

No, stiff steering isn't going to be because of an alignment issue. Something was damaged, if not a tie rod, something else. Sometimes parts can look okay on the surface, until you compare it to a known good part.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Off After Whacking Wheel Off Kerb