A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subwoofer in the A8 opinions

Old 03-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer in the A8 opinions

The sound system in my A8 is wonderful and all that, but I don't believe I've owned a vehicle without putting a sub in it.

SO, my question to all of you is does anyone have any tips or advice or warnings from past experiences when installing a subwoofer and amp?
Old 03-20-2014, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiJinkins
The sound system in my A8 is wonderful and all that, but I don't believe I've owned a vehicle without putting a sub in it. SO, my question to all of you is does anyone have any tips or advice or warnings from past experiences when installing a subwoofer and amp?
I'm quite curious myself, been thinking about removing the rear deck sub and adding an after market sub with an amp.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

The sound system in my A8 is wonderful and all that, but I don't believe I've owned a vehicle without putting a sub in it.
So do you think it would benefit from it, or is it just a tradition of yours?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

SO, my question to all of you is does anyone have any tips or advice or warnings from past experiences when installing a subwoofer and amp?
Which sound system do you have,

I love the sound from the Bose setup and to add a sub would ruin the sound and make it too boomy. Added to that the trunk of the A8 is heavily insulated and some distance from the drivers seat , so you would struggle to hear it in the cabin.

To put it simply, I don't believe the A8 needs a sub, after all its audio system was designed specifically for the car and is not some generic off the shelf system installed in many different brands.

If it were me, then I would just stick with the Bose setup if thats what you have because adding a sub is a technical nightmare anyway.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

You know the slogan from the audiophile world, Bose no highs or lows. Stock Bose does have decent bass at lower to moderate levels but cannot reproduce those at higher volumes. I have a acoustic suspension 12 inch JL Audio W3V3 with an Alpine 500 Watt RMS mono amp. The sub is tapped into the Bose sub with a line level adapter. I also have a bass **** so I can turn it up or down on the fly with different types of music. It rocks. My philosophy is to tune down the lows on the bose system so they don't have to reproduce lows as little as possible. The mid and highs sound cleaner that way. Then you get a thumping sub to augment and for a stock system + sub, it sounds awesome. I'm not going to win any stereo contest but I'm happy with it. I also took out the ski boot so it has kind of a port for the sub. It does make a difference between having the arm rest up or down. As an added bonus, you can stow away tablets and electronics in the trunk though the space without opening the trunk when leaving the car in a parking lot.

I have always added a sub as well. I had two previous Alpine Type R subs but the rubber would delaminate like clock work every 3 years. This is my first run with JL audio and let me tell you, the sound difference is dramatic. I will say I upgraded the amp from 300 to 500 watts when I went with the JL Audio, so there is that factor. I think if I would have went with either the V6 or V7, it would have out punted the coverage of the Bose system by far.
Attached Images   

Last edited by TSHong; 03-21-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mannyo1221
Which sound system do you have,

I love the sound from the Bose setup and to add a sub would ruin the sound and make it too boomy. Added to that the trunk of the A8 is heavily insulated and some distance from the drivers seat , so you would struggle to hear it in the cabin.

To put it simply, I don't believe the A8 needs a sub, after all its audio system was designed specifically for the car and is not some generic off the shelf system installed in many different brands.

If it were me, then I would just stick with the Bose setup if thats what you have because adding a sub is a technical nightmare anyway.
That's what I needed to hear.

Yes, I have the Bose system, and it is excellent and works great, I think I'm just getting bored and looking to do something to The Silver Fox. I don't listen to much rap or bass heavy music, just wanted to add a MTX T8000 10" for a nice sound quality bass, but you're right. Really not necessary.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

B/O system sounds great, piped in some music from my note2 through the AMI with enhanced bass settings on the phone player. Actually had the rearview mirror shaking. Rear window shade rattles at certain frequencies.
I agree with TSHONG as far as toning down the bass in the system if adding an aftermarket sub. Make sure to set a proper crossover point to let the subwoofer do its job.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Buy those as a set. You will need them later for sure.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Haha! So true Mishar. I protect my ears at work, wearing earplugs and even ear muffs over them mostly the whole day. Loud music and loud pipes are a thing of the past.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or get these more modern versions - two birds with one stone...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Subwoofer in the A8 opinions