A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof cover (inside) stuck way back and suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sunroof cover (inside) stuck way back and suggestions?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated before I try to take apart the interior roof.

The sunroof/moonroof cover is stuck back. I opened the sunroof once and when I closed it back the cover did not slide with it. It is back in the position like the roof is all the way open.

I can not reach it and did not want to pry for fear of breaking something.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2015, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cboogie
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated before I try to take apart the interior roof.

The sunroof/moonroof cover is stuck back. I opened the sunroof once and when I closed it back the cover did not slide with it. It is back in the position like the roof is all the way open.

I can not reach it and did not want to pry for fear of breaking something.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Yep, had the same situation so I removed it permanently. There's really no (easy) way to fix the shade w/o removing the headliner.

If you pry off the side covers (pop up the sunroof), then remove the torx or triple torx screws you can remove the glass. Once that's out you can remove the shade completely.

Bob
Old 09-11-2015, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A8CT
Yep, had the same situation so I removed it permanently. There's really no (easy) way to fix the shade w/o removing the headliner.

If you pry off the side covers (pop up the sunroof), then remove the torx or triple torx screws you can remove the glass. Once that's out you can remove the shade completely.

Bob
Thanks sound like I will have a busy weekend with front brakes and this.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased my D3 just as you described. I reached in with picks to pull the shade forward. It was obvious that it wasn't on its tracks so I just pulled the fuse so nobody would ever open it again. I'm not a fan of sunroofs so there is no way I would spend my time disassembling it.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GradecEngineering
I purchased my D3 just as you described. I reached in with picks to pull the shade forward. It was obvious that it wasn't on its tracks so I just pulled the fuse so nobody would ever open it again. I'm not a fan of sunroofs so there is no way I would spend my time disassembling it.

Thanks I try that. How hard did you have to pull to get it forward?
I like the sunroof, but not really going to take apart anything. If your method does not work for me then I will probably leave it the way it is.

It does not hinder the sunroof from sliding. I'll just keep a hat in the car when the sun is at right above.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Not where I live

I like the sunroof, but not really going to take apart anything. If your method does not work for me then I will probably leave it the way it is.

It does not hinder the sunroof from sliding. I'll just keep a hat in the car when the sun is at right above.
Here in the Houston area it would be worth fixing the shade.
I have an issue with my glass. It opens fine. It stops when it reaches the bar that lowers the deflector. I can pull on the glass as closing to get the sunroom shut. Tried libricating everything.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firmly. It didn't slide forward. It needed to "wiggle" out.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine get stuck back before. I just opened the sunroof to full open and then closed it again and the shade came back forward. I would guess you've tried that, but if you haven't it may be worth it. My car has a host of sunroof issues so I don't use it very much even though I very much would like to.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Going to try to wiggle it out today, but the sunroof works so if it causes too much trouble I'll leave it where it is and not worry about it.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:06 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same problem! I bought my '08 A8 L last month at a "good" price because it needed tires and the sunroof wind deflector motor needed replacement. As my indie mechanic replaced the motor, he realized the sunshade tracks were broken and the only fix was to replace the entire sunroof "cassette".

We sourced a used sunroof, but it had the same broken piece problem. After 3 weeks of searching for an non-broken used unit, I finally gave the go-ahead to replace with a new unit (about $1200).

I just slid open the sunroof shade / shield / cover and opened the tilt function. The shade is now "locked" in the open position. I am hoping that this is a warranty item, as I don't see how a new sunroof cassette would be causing problems already, given my using it maybe 3 times. I owned 2 C5 A6s and never had a sunroof issue (completely different animals, I know).

It will be in the shop tomorrow and I will let you know if I learn anything helpful.

Quick Reply: Sunroof cover (inside) stuck way back and suggestions?