AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   Sunroof drains (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/sunroof-drains-2971925/)

Panelhead 05-08-2019 10:46 AM

Sunroof drains

After we had 8 inches of rain at the house I see the A8 either needs to stay in the garage or the drains need clearing.
I climbed up on a step ladder to look again for the four drain holes. Did this before to use a weed eater cord and did not spot them. The diagram from Audi is not clear to me. I assume they are in the open to allow feeding a wire or cord.
What do they look like and are they on lowest level?
I must be looking at them and not recognizing what they are.

Jack88 05-08-2019 04:46 PM

They are in the corners, the front ones usually clog, I think. Best to push the wind deflector down so you can see them.

Mike141 05-08-2019 05:20 PM

Yes, push wind deflector down and you should see the front ones. You then have to peel back the fender liners to get at the other ends. Mine were so clogged at the fender liner end, I had to go in that way. Going in from the top wouldn’t push it through for me. But I used a weed eater line also. Good luck.

cardinalfan 05-09-2019 03:23 AM

Regarding your clogged sunroof drains, others have suggested using weedwhacker line, I couldn't get the line farther than 4 or 5 inches and I was too lazy to take the wheel liners out and try from the bottom. I used.a tablespoon Liquid Plumber in each corner and 3 cups of warm-hot (not boiling) water in each of the four corners. Drains cleared!!!

Panelhead 05-16-2019 02:30 PM

Fifty percent there

Ordered some 0.125 nylon tubing off Amazon. Works like weed whacked line for pushing.
After that did not work, connected to the mighty Miley Vac and started filling and vacuuming out the gunk. Looked like Live Oak pollen brackets.
Got the front and rear driver side draining good. Poured in some diluted drain clearer and flushed well.
Working on passenger side now. But how do you access the rear drains?

Panelhead 05-17-2019 02:19 AM

Done

After I posted the passenger side drains cleared. Applied drain clearer and flushed well once the water was dripping.
The 0.125” OD nylon tubing was perfect for clearing. If yours are barely plugged it is stiff enough to poke down. If worse, the Mitey Vac and this tubing can suck out the debris.
It required three flushes to clear the passenger side. My home is surrounded by Live Oak trees and the pollen and brackets are heavy some years.
Also on both sides the rears drains started to drip at the same time as the front. Never located the ports for the rear. Are they connected on an early 2005 model?

Aceler8 05-17-2019 06:34 AM

the rear drains are difficult to impossible to see from above. You must remove the rear wheels and front facing wheel arch liner to access the rear drains. I hope to do this soon as well. Let us know how it works out for ya.

Panelhead 05-17-2019 06:46 AM

Rear drains

Originally Posted by Aceler8 (Post 25318084)
the rear drains are difficult to impossible to see from above. You must remove the rear wheels and front facing wheel arch liner to access the rear drains. I hope to do this soon as well. Let us know how it works out for ya.

Cleaning out the front drains cleared the rear on mine. Went from no drips with the tray around the sunroof full to a solid stream from all four drains.

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 05-17-2019 10:07 AM

Do you have any pictures of the rear drains or just blindly accessing them
Cheers,
Louis