A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Is it supposed to look/sound like that...!?"

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 06:32 AM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default "Is it supposed to look/sound like that...!?"

Quick question for you guys, as I never looked or noticed; I recently did my window regulator and my console flip-up display screen. Two things that make me go "hmm" going on now;

1- I had to remove the cover under the steering column and it was quite a pain to get it back on for whatever reason. Now, at where the far bottom end of that piece meets the back of the wheel well, right above where the pedals are, I have insulation from inside that steering column underside piece showing. Was this always showing and I just didn't notice? It's the thick fabric you'd expect, except there's a bit of it exposed underneith that column near my feet. I really can't recall.

2- Now, after having put my window on the new regulator, I haven't been able to fully seat my door card on the door because I don't have clips (getting them Fri morn from the dealer). When I have the window up but the sun roof cracked and am driving on the highway, I feel and hear a decent amount of air coming in from the far corner of the window/door that meets the dash board. Is this because I don't have that door card all the way back on or is there something I did wrong with the window? I was thinking I maybe should have, after getting the bolts a little the ways into the window holder sleeve pieces behind the aluminum door partition, lifted up on the window while tightening them. I don't know why I'm thinking this, as the manual didn't say anything about that as far as I can recall, but I feel like there isn't a complete seal. I have however driven through a high-pressure car wash twice and haven't felt or seen any water get in. I have the laminated/double pane security glass for what it's worth. It did 'whistle' before the repair when I had the sunroof cracked and the window up, but I didn't feel the amount of air I do now rush in!

Thanks
Old 10-27-2018, 01:44 AM
The Transporter

Re: the material sticking out underneith the footwell, here's photos of it. Not that great, sorry, but you can see the stuffing material peeking out. I can't recall if it was like this before I removed the trim piece or not.

Good shot of it here, sticking out at the very end of the footwell

Old 10-27-2018, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't think it is supposed to look like that. I'll check mine to be sure, but I really don't think so.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:17 PM
The Transporter

Originally Posted by Jack88
I don't think it is supposed to look like that. I'll check mine to be sure, but I really don't think so.
Let me know. I wasn't able to stuff it all back up in there AND get it attached under the steering wheel. If I had another person holding it up it'd help, but it took me like an hour of cursing just to get it on. And it looked like all the material was pushed up properly. I guess I'll have to take it off again if it isn't right..
argh.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't see anything like that under there and I did have to remove that piece to replace the relay. Whatever was in there got put back in there easily when I did it, and it definitely didn't take an hour! If I recall, it all came apart and went back together very smoothly.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:14 PM
The Transporter

That was NOT the case with me- I'll get a helper, take it off, and put it back on again but this time make sure all the stuffing is in place. I need the helper to hold it up as I screw in the bolt; for some reason mine just will NOT line up unless it's being pushed in a bit from above and it's virtually impossible to do that AND thread the screw in at the same time on mine. Seriously. Argh.

Thanks for looking,

Naudi
Old 10-29-2018, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I chuckled when I saw it took an hour of cursing... I feels ya.
Pretty sure it'd be worth tracking down the source of the breeze before you get it all buttoned up! Maybe dangle a bright work light down the firewall and look for light in the footwell. My beige car had an annoying breeze on the feet in the winter sometimes, but after the R&R of compressor relays and brake light switches it went away at some point IIRC.

Re needing a helper to hold stuff up in that relatively tight footwell, perhaps try securing the insulation first using zipties. I've used
adhesive anchors adhesive anchors
(or loop anchors for existing screws) and two zipties to cover some longer lengths (use one anchor at each end of the area to be retained and then use two ties to meet in the center). You could use Velcro (i.e., refastenable) to ensure you'd never be in there again per Murphy's Law. It's not an arrangement one readily imagines but it's effective in otherwise hard-to-affix spots.
I looked for a pic of my suggestion, but it seems to be the only thing not on the internet. To clarify, put one anchor point near the console side, the other near the door side... then use one tie from each anchor male-to-female to meet in the center to span the distance. Hope that's clear. ;^p

Adhesive anchors:

Originally Posted by a_very_naudi_guy
...and it's virtually impossible to do that AND thread the screw in at the same time on mine. Seriously. Argh....
Magnetic screw-holding bit?
Old 10-29-2018, 04:17 PM
The Transporter

Originally Posted by aTOMic
I chuckled when I saw it took an hour of cursing... I feels ya.
Pretty sure it'd be worth tracking down the source of the breeze before you get it all buttoned up! Maybe dangle a bright work light down the firewall and look for light in the footwell. My beige car had an annoying breeze on the feet in the winter sometimes, but after the R&R of compressor relays and brake light switches it went away at some point IIRC.

Re needing a helper to hold stuff up in that relatively tight footwell, perhaps try securing the insulation first using zipties. I've used adhesive anchors (or loop anchors for existing screws) and two zipties to cover some longer lengths (use one anchor at each end of the area to be retained and then use two ties to meet in the center). You could use Velcro (i.e., refastenable) to ensure you'd never be in there again per Murphy's Law. It's not an arrangement one readily imagines but it's effective in otherwise hard-to-affix spots.
I looked for a pic of my suggestion, but it seems to be the only thing not on the internet. To clarify, put one anchor point near the console side, the other near the door side... then use one tie from each anchor male-to-female to meet in the center to span the distance. Hope that's clear. ;^p

Adhesive anchors:

Magnetic screw-holding bit?
Will try the anchors..

I didn't mean holding the screw/screw-driver and the piece, but being able to shove it into place AND get down there with the screw driver. Something funky is going on with the placement of this panel, so I am going to take it off entirely (unplug everything), re-house the insulation, etc. and try again.

Also the breeze seems to be coming from the window- this was just a separate thing that occurred at the same time, but I brought it up because I had the dash partially disassembled in order to replace flip-up LCD screen at the same time I did the window regulator.

Thanks

Naudi