A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Air Leak Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 01:40 AM
Audiworld senior member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked with soapy water and found out my right, driver side, strut is leaking air. The V10 has done 83.000 km. Can I safely replace only one side with Arnot? Or do I need to replace with reconditioned original Audi strut? Are there any known tolerances between Arnot and OEM? I used Arnot before on my wifes Allroad and very impressed by their warranty backup. When something fails they very helpful and fast acting.
Another question why I read most of the time about the right strut leaking instead of the the left strut?
Old 12-12-2017, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by -Treser-
I checked with soapy water and found out my right, driver side, strut is leaking air. The V10 has done 83.000 km. Can I safely replace only one side with Arnot? Or do I need to replace with reconditioned original Audi strut? Are there any known tolerances between Arnot and OEM? I used Arnot before on my wifes Allroad and very impressed by their warranty backup. When something fails they very helpful and fast acting.
Another question why I read most of the time about the right strut leaking instead of the the left strut?
Probably 95-99% of owners only replace the leaking side, due to cost for starters.

Hit and miss with all of the rebuilts. Some satisfied, others w/ multiple returns. Arnott (rebuilt) and RMT seem to be more commonly used. Cardone also out there and recently skewered in a post.

Be careful with Arnott product choice. They have two types--the rebuilt and their house brand aftermarket. Several of us would affirmatively NOT do the aftermarket type, which causes you to lose features of the original design--no matter what the Arnott happy talk ad copy is. Search if you want more info and background.

Read board down 5-10 pages and you will hear some success and a variety of disappointment on most any rebuilt choice. OE replace doesn't break in any typical ownership timeframe, but quite pricy for many. Other choice is junkyard used. Few report serial problems w/ same strut, or often even losing more than just one over a decent ownership period.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

If you're going to replace the whole unit, go with OEM to be safe... Yes, all aftermarket units have great warranty, but the cost of shipping, trials and errors, and frustration NOT worth the money. It's all in the eShock.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 12-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Audiworld senior member

MP4.2+6.0 thank you again for your valuable input.
May I ask what you mean with RMT?

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 I understand from my communications with an Australian Arnott dealer this afternoon that the new Arnott's aftermarket ones have a brand new original e-shock installed but the remanufactured ones don't have.
I also want to have a look into junkyard used ones but a little bit skeptical ATM about a proper sealed air hose connection and problems with reusing the old rubber bump stop. Maybe get a junkyard one of low mileage vehicle and order the bumpstop and air hose connection brand new from the dealer?
Price over here in NZ is $1686 for a new Arnott strut and for a remanufactured $1537 + $100 core deposit when I return the old strut.
Has anyone ever tried to replace the bottom o-ring themselves? I understand that it is possible that the inside bag is all crimped and sealed fine after 80k but it's quite often the bottom seal o -ring that craps out. From a YT movie I seen online It seems this is something you could replace yourself
. Does anyone have any experience with this?

FYI with my wifes Allroad I had the problem that a new and fresh replaced air strut exploded after only 2 months of use. Adam of Arnott mentioned "It looks like the lower crimping band has come loose. Not a common issue on today's products but anything can happen with such a high pressurized system. These are manufactured in Europe by Continental so they will evaluate the failure based off the production number."
I must admit even I bought the new replacement Arnott airspring from Poland Arnott was eager to send me a replacement strut straight from America. Luckily I don't need my car as a daily driver or for work so I have plenty of time to figure out the best available options.

Last edited by -Treser-; 12-12-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

RMT= Rebuild Master Tech. No personal experience w/ them. I use dealer or OES parts in general or occasionally a used OE module. RMT gets mentioned in suspension posts these days as a rebuilder some other members use. Besides Arnott that is, which seems to push those questionable house design ones more these days. Link to normal and sports versions web pages I pulled quickly: http://www.rebuildmastertech.com/aud...al-suspension/ or A8 (D3/4E) 2002-2009 SPORT Air Suspension Parts & Conversion Kits

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-12-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:41 AM
Audiworld senior member

Thanks for the explanation, never heard of them, had a quick look & got first all exited when spotting their prizes but then I checked their warranty information and found this "This warranty is voided if the installation is not performed by an ASE certified technician / mechanic. It is required to submit a receipt or proof of installation that was completed by an ASE certified technician / mechanic with your warranty claim. You must email receipt or proof of installation by an ASE certified technician / mechanic to ****@rebuildmastertech.com
Defective parts can be sent to RMT at: RMT 6689 NW 16th Terr, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309.
INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY ON STRUTS IS 30 DAYS – LIFETIME WARRANTY APPLIES TO DOMESTIC PURCHASES ONLY!
Air Suspension & Auto Parts Warranty | Rebuild Master Tech
Old 12-13-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just buy a $200 new bag and replace the leaky one. There are only a few struts replacement on this forum and the failures on Arnott and other brands are more than 50%. If you ignore the statistics then roll the dice and take your chances. To me, if you don't have skills, logic or money, you shouldn't be driving A8.
Cheers,
Louid
Old 12-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Audiworld senior member

But before I replace my bag I first like to know if it is the bag that is leaking. At your webpage Audi | fixing and improving our rides I read about the o-ring and after I had done the soapy test the bubbles only came out from the bottom end of the strut. My S8 has done only 83.000 km and I am seriously surprised when the bag has crapped out already. So from your own information I decide to first go the route of replacing the bottom 0-ring. By the way great source your page, love it & reminds me on my old days when I kept my diary when restoring my late Audi 200 turbo Treser www.treser.info

Last edited by -Treser-; 12-13-2017 at 11:24 PM. Reason: mistake in address
Old 12-16-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Was working on a post but think I lost it.... Anyone try tire sealant injected into the strut? I have a slow leak right-front side,

Also we are getting a crunching rubbery sound over bumps when the car is cold and hitting our bumpy country road here. After 12-30 mins of driving, there is no real front end noise. Can struts kick of noise or is it all bushings and mounts?
Old 12-16-2017, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

These are the sizes of the 2 O-rings: 1.5" and 3/8" with 3/32" thickness.

Quick Reply: Suspension Air Leak Troubleshooting